• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlton kirby - has to go !!

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Samson said:
I don't understand the hate on Kirby. I'm not that big of expert but in my opinion Kirby is pretty alrighty. Certanly doesn't annoy me while watching unlike Harmon at times with his Wiggins love..

Have you actually listened to what Kirby says ? its drivel delivered with verbal diarrhoea.

Kirby isnt the most knowledgable cycling fan alive, but he is a fan and his knowledge is increasing. Today he was able to from memory point out which rabo cyclists were good tter and which were not, and even though he called Steff Clement steff - clemaun as if he was french he got them more or less right.

i dont see what is particularly infuriating about him.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
On similar news - itv4 have got rid of Matt Keenan thank goodness
Seriously? Keenan does a great job in the lead-up to Phil and Paul, in my opinion. Granted, I've never heard Keenan call a sprint, but at least he knows his stuff.

SetonHallPirate said:
Seriously? Keenan does a great job in the lead-up to Phil and Paul, in my opinion. Granted, I've never heard Keenan call a sprint, but at least he knows his stuff.

As I'm British we have phil and Paul only for tour and last years vuelta was Keenan on his own - I've heard that phil and Paul team up with others for USA and Australian commentary but last year keenans vuelta performance got Alot of complaints from British viewers

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
As I'm British we have phil and Paul only for tour and last years vuelta was Keenan on his own - I've heard that phil and Paul team up with others for USA and Australian commentary but last year keenans vuelta performance got Alot of complaints from British viewers
Ah, OK...I only get to hear Keenan once a year, for the Tour, and before he hands off to P&P...actually, I'm forced to endure the Eurosport pilfered feed as I don't get Universal Sports (I'd much rather hear Steve Schlanger and Todd Gogulski).

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:

I agree from this American perspective Keenan does an indcredible job with his research on each cyclist in the peloton. I have not heard that from P&P in years if at all.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
I agree his knowledge is good but unfortunately his annoying voice makes him impossible to listen to
Trust me on this...when you have as annoying a voice as I do, you learn to have absolutely no problem with hearing an annoying voice.

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I am so happy not to have those problems with french eurosport commentators...They're just great , i feel lucky every time i watch cycling , especially Jacky Durant.

Sorry Mr Harmon, early bird catches the worm...

A0pHiCJCcAAzIff.jpg

therealtimshady said:
I agree his knowledge is good but unfortunately his annoying voice makes him impossible to listen to

Better get used to it. I think Keenan may get Liggett's job when he retires eventually. He is knowledgeable but I agree about the voice and he never shuts up at all. Would be nice to have pictures without commentary for a change.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Well then I propose a CN forum audio livestream for the tour de france. Shouldnt be that hard to organise with so many people here able to talk eloquently and intelligently for 4 hours. :D

Honestly, part of the reason we have so many different people commentating is because there is so much cycling on tv now and races are shown for longer.

Im sure if Eurosport cut down the number of races, and cut down the hours of transmission then Harmon and Kelly could do it all.

Like i say, virtually all of the people in the list have day jobs.

So it´s like telling a monkey to drive the buss course we got to many busses and to few drivers, or should we just expect the company to hire qualified drivers and keep the monkeys inside the zoo?
You know, people actually pay to see and listen to this sh.., same as I wouldn´t pay a dime to drive in a buss with a monkey at the wheel.
I do expect some kind of qualification for the people who do these kinds of jobs, commentators included, they do get payed you know.

argyllflyer said:
This season alone I can think of Eurosport using for men's races:

Commentary:
David Harmon
Carlton Kirby
Anthony McCrossan
John Hatch
Jonathan Harris-Bass

Summarising:
Sean Kelly
Brian Smith
Dan Lloyd
Graham Jones
Michael Hutchinson
Magnus Backstedt

anyone knows about David Duffield? the best of them all.

is he retired? how old is he?

Fidolix said:
So it´s like telling a monkey to drive the buss course we got to many busses and to few drivers, or should we just expect the company to hire qualified drivers and keep the monkeys inside the zoo?
You know, people actually pay to see and listen to this sh.., same as I wouldn´t pay a dime to drive in a buss with a monkey at the wheel.
I do expect some kind of qualification for the people who do these kinds of jobs, commentators included, they do get payed you know.

what a good analogy. good post. How anyone can support a commentator who is an ex Geography Teacher is beyond me...I cant believe The Hitch can congratulate Kirby for being able to name a few riders who are good time triallers - its Kirby's job to be MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE than his viewers.

argyllflyer said:
Age not always a barrier - he is in his 80s, like the golf commentator Peter Aliss. But he is retired.

And just like Aliss, Duffield is in the retirement home due to his continual senile comments. I,m not ageist but it is a fact that the brain doesnt function as well when you hit 70.

Feel sorry for you itv4 viewers - its way worse than Eurosport commentators. And the advert breaks are every 3 minutes.

Cycle Chic said:
And just like Aliss, Duffield is in the retirement home due to his continual senile comments. I,m not ageist but it is a fact that the brain doesnt function as well when you hit 70.

Feel sorry for you itv4 viewers - its way worse than Eurosport commentators. And the advert breaks are every 3 minutes.

They haven't retired Aliss yet have they?

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
How much longer do the cycling public have to suffer the idiotic commentary from Carlton Kirby ?? This afternoon, I yet again, tolerated his insulting drivel on the Dauphine. ... I tweeted quite a few comments which clearly annoyed him.... His Grand National, Murray Walker shouting in the last 2 kilometres really is unbelievable. After my tweet he at least toned that down. COME ON WRITE TO EUROSPORT AND LETS GET HIM OFF !...

I'm sure he pays a lot of attention to tweets from someone of your stature. :rolleyes:

I don't think he's done a bad job on the first couple of stages of this year's Vuelta, definitely better than McCrossen on ITV4.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Lucky1 said:
I'm sure he pays a lot of attention to tweets from someone of your stature. :rolleyes:

I don't think he's done a bad job on the first couple of stages of this year's Vuelta, definitely better than McCrossen on ITV4.
You do realize this thread was started during LAST YEAR'S Dauphine, right?

I agree...can't stand McCrossen.