• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carte Blanche to Riis (almost)

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
Riis has apparently got a promise from Sungard that he can up his budget quite bit, and get either another class-rider, or a couple of good ones.

http://tour.tv2.dk/article.php/id-41546971:juls-vurdering-dem-skal-du-hente-bjarne.html

One of Danish television's Tour experts recommend (google translate because I'm lazy):

1st Thor Hushovd (Garmin-Cervelo)

"If he's really up with a lot of money, then falls Thor Hushovd only. He can be two things. He is a man who can win Paris-Roubaix, he is more and more a classic rider, and he is not a sprinter of the type that requires the entire team's support. He would be a goal. "

2nd Jurgen van den Broeck (Omega Pharma-Lotto)

"If Jurgen van den Broeck finds out that he can not win the Tour de France, he will help riders of very high caliber. The kind of rugged use rider that runs well in the mountains and not be swept away just because the wind blows . This is what he has to go after. "

3rd Tejay van Garderen (HTC High Road)

"He can be a bit of everything. He is a good stage race rider, a young American who can be exciting. A man who Nicki Sorensen running does not last forever, so Bjarne Riis must ensure strong help riders."

4th Geraint Thomas (Team Sky)

"He does not need a new star. There must be plenty of Contador. But Geraint Thomas might be interesting. He is also a young and very strong rider, but he is probably MeHg animals and running right now on Sky, which presumably will not give riders. "

5th Rein Taaramae (Cofidis)

"As a climber he would dress up on most teams. He is young and is associated with a small team, where he will probably not get as much in salary. It's not because Bjarne Riis himself to develop talents, if it really is such Saxo Bank will pay the same amount of money Thurs. And here is Taaramae already a name. "

So... If you were Riis who'd you get?

Personally I think that Taaramae is an excellent choice, and a very interesting and promising rider. A rider like Kiriyenka could also be good, mostly because of the loss of all-around engine types to Trek; a rider type who's arguable missing from the Tour (Porte of course, but still). Or even (unlikely, but still) Purito (to hunt stages in any of the three that Contador isn't doing). CAS could still go for the gc anyways.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thomas is not goinng. Most valuable rider for Sky atm this season, and he will get much better next year.

Hushovd might go. If Nuyens won Ronde with no support with Riss tactics, then the dream of Husvod will have higher chance of succeding. ( win P-R )

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If I was Riis I would hire me and pay me hansomely :rolleyes:

A guy like LL Sanchez would be really good, and he doesnt thrive at Rabo (but I thiink he is on contract for 2012 also). Would be a great Lieutenant.

I know this is a long shot, but Samuel Sanchez could be a possibility. He can pay him way more than at Euskatel and him and Alberto are really good friends. He would ofc have to give up the GC in the Tour (unless Bertie gets 2 year at CAS) but could then ride the GC in the Vuelta.

Also, I reckon Riis should strengthen the team for the classics.Furthermore he needs to get a few strong GT domestiques alá Szmyd.

I guess he could pick up a few HTC riders if they dont find a new sponsor. Bak and Alex Rasmussen for the cobbles and maybe Tejay for the stage races.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Hushovd would be a perfect fit. They would go together like fish and chips.

JVDB won't want to play second fiddle to Bertie, Thomas will be Sky for life, TJVG is a good pick but others will want him and Taaramae has potential, but may prefer to be a big fish in a small pond.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hushovd would be a great signing for them, but he'll want to be a protected rider in the tour - while Riis would build the entire team around Contador. If he's still riding that is.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
therhodeo said:
I would get a guy like Gustav Larsson so Bertie didn't have to fend for himself on flat stages..........

I know what your are fishing fore there but ok I will bite. Larsson is not a good "personal bodyguard" type. Positioning is not exactly his strongest trait, let alone guiding his captain around the peloton. No sir, they should have brought Cooke in for that. Larsson would only have been brought in if the TTT had been 50k-ish.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Hushovd would be a great signing for them, but he'll want to be a protected rider in the tour - while Riis would build the entire team around Contador. If he's still riding that is.

I doubt Thor would care if they would focus on him in P-R.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
I know what your are fishing fore there but ok I will bite. Larsson is not a good "personal bodyguard" type. Positioning is not exactly his strongest trait, let alone guiding his captain around the peloton. No sir, they should have brought Cooke in for that. Larsson would only have been brought in if the TTT had been 50k-ish.

Fair enough. He should have brought Cooke then. Noval sure doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thor would be great for the classics, but he would never accept to be Bertie's personal guide on the flat stages. He still have alot of personal ambitions for the Tour.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
therhodeo said:
Fair enough. He should have brought Cooke then. Noval sure doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

He did ok today together with Sørensen and Tosatto but otherwise I agree. He shouldnt have been in the team, but I think Contador simply wanted him on the team. Cooke would have been awesome for Bertie in this first week.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
Thor would be great for the classics, but he would never accept to be Bertie's personal guide on the flat stages. He still have alot of personal ambitions for the Tour.

I don't think that Hushovd has any Tour ambitions that he hasn't already achieved. He's just happy to be able to have a crack at two or three stages. It's Paris-Roubaix that he really wants.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Not if Thor get 2-3 riders at his disposal, but that would never happen with Riis.

Ye it would be all for Contador, including Thor.

Mambo95 said:
I don't think that Hushovd has any Tour ambitions that he hasn't already achieved. He's just happy to be able to have a crack at two or three stages. It's Paris-Roubaix that he really wants.

Just cos he has won the green jersey and stages doesnt means he wouldnt like to repeat that.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
At the moment the weakest point of Saxo is their classic team. They are missing someone for the hilly classics. What about Gilbert? Previously Saxo didn't have the money for him, but now they suddenly do.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:

I think that's a big if. I think Riis will be looking to sign a GC contendor after CAS announces its verdict on AC.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Wrote this in the transfer thread as well:

Too bad Boonen has renewed his contract. Would have been the perfect switch for him. He is underperforming, low confidence and he does not have a team behind him(saw that on the stage where he crashed - he had to ride alone for 20 km) And in may he showed interest in Saxo and their praised ideals. He is - I think?!! - a popular, sympathetic guy and would fit right in. Also, a partnership between Nuyens/Boonen could be quite dangerous.

But it's not to be I guess..

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thomsena said:
Wrote this in the transfer thread as well:

Too bad Boonen has renewed his contract. Would have been the perfect switch for him. He is underperforming, low confidence and he does not have a team behind him(saw that on the stage where he crashed - he had to ride alone for 20 km) And in may he showed interest in Saxo and their praised ideals. He is - I think?!! - a popular, sympathetic guy and would fit right in. Also, a partnership between Nuyens/Boonen could be quite dangerous.

But it's not to be I guess..

Yeah I would have loved to see that aswell. To bad Tom didnt play it cool at w8ed till after or during the tour to prolong with QS.

TRENDING THREADS