• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carte Blanche to Riis (almost)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hushovd would be good for the classics. Would say Kloden, but signing a 36 year old, however good he is, probably wouldn't be the best choice. From that list in the first post, VDB or Taaramae would be better.

Can't see Sanchez leaving Euskaltel.

kjetilraknerud said:
Hushovd would be a great signing for them, but he'll want to be a protected rider in the tour - while Riis would build the entire team around Contador. If he's still riding that is.

I think Riis can convince him that the classics, Giro and Vuelta are all for Thor and the Tour is for Alberto then he'd agree.

Thor got jack assistance this year in classics. I'd think he'd appreciate full team support in one day races and give up Tour hopes & dreams for that goal.

I wouldn't give much for Boonens statement to a Danish reporter fishing for the obvious answer. Would be great for Saxo to get him, but I don't see it.

The same goes for Samu - he's not going to leave Euskaltel unless if they dissolve.

Actually I think Klöden would be a great fit, even though he's not the most interesting signing. But he can do what Larsson can - and a tad better!

If we're talking classics, I'd say riis should be looking for Daniel Oss - he seems very talented, but is racing in the Sagan shadow. AND he's future potential.

If HTC dissolves after this season, John Degenkolb would be a giant scoop. He's already shown so much this season (fast, strong and tactically almost thinking like a veteran).

Flecha, Meersman and Westra would also make me happy and could definitely strengthen the classics squad.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
I think Riis can convince him that the classics, Giro and Vuelta are all for Thor and the Tour is for Alberto then he'd agree.

Thor got jack assistance this year in classics. I'd think he'd appreciate full team support in one day races and give up Tour hopes & dreams for that goal.

I think Thor wants to have full support in the classics and be able to do the tour and hunt for stage wins. The recent years he always had the same race program, the spring classics and then some relaxe before he start preparing for the tour, and he always seems to be on top at the tour.
According to norwegian TV2,and Dag Otto Lauritsen who is close to Thor, they say Thor and his coach find it might be smarter to drop the stress with the hunt for the green jersey in the future and instead develope his climbing skills so he can be able to win harder stages in the future.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
Just cos he has won the green jersey and stages doesnt means he wouldnt like to repeat that.

Sure he'd like to. But I think he's very aware of his limits. He knows he can't compete in bunch sprints any more. It's Classics and the odd stage for him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What makes Riis think that VDB is under the illusion that he can win the Tour some day? VDB said that guys like Contador and AS are more talented than him and that he'll never bridge the gap no matter how hard he trains.

El Pistolero said:
What makes Riis think that VDB is under the illusion that he can win the Tour some day? VDB said that guys like Contador and AS are more talented than him and that he'll never bridge the gap no matter how hard he trains.

The article wasn't quoting Riis, just opinions from an expert on Danish tv.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts