• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cat or Dog

Cat vs Dog

• Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

So, i'll start a poll...

Cats, dogs, both or neither? (have them, like them, hate them etc)

Personally, i'm a dog person and have never lived without one since the age of 5

Contraversial question: What's the point of having cats?

A

Anonymous

Mountain Goat said:
Contraversial question: What's the point of having cats?

they bury their own poo
they kill stuff
they can sit on your lap without squashing you
they are clean
they walk themselves
they dont hump your leg
they dont keep you awake barking
they dont moult so much

im sure theres more

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Having both I see one as dependent on my love and attention (good for the ego) and the other as Machiavellian in nature. If cats had thumbs we would all be in trouble. But in the end, I have a soft spot for cats.

Reactions: Bubba
Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
I have both, but the cat's only purpose is to provide company for the dog.

I heard a comedian once say that the difference between cats and dogs is this:
If we were all 2 inches tall our dogs would still obey us.
Our cats would kill us.
FergusKillbear20081280x1024.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The wife and I are both dog people, but have no real issues with cats. Never owned one but that probably stems from my grandmother's (unhealthy?) love of the siamese cat...every single one she had bit and scratched the **** out of me when we visited...but they sure loved grandma :D

It turned for me in college, when my roommate and I "cat sitted" for his girlfriend for a semester...and both the cats turned out to be pretty cool to have around the flat. Strangest behavior I have ever seen in a house pet but nonetheless cool (what's with cats eating their own, or other cats, vomit???)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
That's not just cats. One time when we visited a cousin, his Siamese cat threw up and his dog ran over to eat it up.

Susan

When I was at university, a friend chundered after a big night out and his dog immediately ate it all up. Yummy. No way a cat would do that.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am a cat person - always had a cat and always will. I like dogs, but my only hesitation in owning a dog is the amount of work required to train and walk them, especially in winter in Canada. I've done enough dog sitting to realize what an effort this can be, and how easy it is to go away for a weekend when you own cats but not dogs. If I was more into running, then a dog would be a no brainer. However, cycling and dogs is not as good a combination and I already have enough to fill my day.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
dogs generally have the personality traits most humans lack loyalty dependability etc... a dog will without hesitation give its life for its loved ones i find that admirable a cat will not. dont get me wrong i like cats and prefer a cat to having no animal around i have had a few cats growing up but given the choice you cant beat a good dog. they really are mans best friend and are more versatile and do things that really help people worldwide ever see a seeing eye cat?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Cats can't retrieve pheasants.;)

My cat caught a pheasant once. Too big for him to carry, so he dragged it across the paddock walking backwards. He was very proud of himself, rightly so!

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
they bury their own poo
they kill stuff
they can sit on your lap without squashing you
they are clean
they walk themselves
they dont hump your leg
they dont keep you awake barking
they dont moult so much

im sure theres more

If they were 80 lbs heavier, they would bite your leg and break it, use their claws to slash you and bat you around, and they they would kill you and either eat you, or leave you there depending on their mood and level of hunger. I love them.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
This cat person would never go hunting and slaughter innocent animals for the cat to carry.

Kitty is a hunter in her own right, "nature red in tooth and claw", that sort of thing.

Not to mention the silliness of trying to tell a cat what to do!

Susan

you need to waterboard the cat properly-

( just kidding, I love cats, but I think they look ridiculous when they're wet )

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Susan Westemeyer said:
This cat person would never go hunting and slaughter innocent animals for the cat to carry.

Oh, I forgot you're one of..... those. :D

On a side note, many years ago our neighborhood had a wild feral cat problem, and the DNR encouraged us to kill them if found on our properties because many of them were carrying rabies and other diseases. Boom, boom. Out go the lights!:eek:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Love them both, but dogs make more sense.

A cat won't run with you, won't mtn bike with you, won't snowshoe with you, won't ski with you. A dog meanwhile, won't shred your couch or attack your ankles if you dare walk barefoot in your own home. Dogs listen and obey. Cats just string you along until they get what they want from you. Ok, that is actually pretty admirable. A dog will keep your children safe, your home safe. A cat would unlock the door if a burglar offered it a treat. Cats wrongly assume they are at the top of the food chain, and tend to disappear. Dogs only have to worry about cars.

Nothing in this message is intended to be an endorsement of little dogs.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
My cat caught a pheasant once. Too big for him to carry, so he dragged it across the paddock walking backwards. He was very proud of himself, rightly so!

yeh.. mines caught a chicken, so dont start saying cats cant hunt stuff...

then again mine has also caught pork chops, strings of sausages, and roast chickens... so.. :D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
A dog meanwhile, won't shred your couch or attack your ankles if you dare walk barefoot in your own home. Dogs listen and obey. Cats just string you along until they get what they want from you. Ok, that is actually pretty admirable. A dog will keep your children safe, your home safe. A cat would unlock the door if a burglar offered it a treat. Cats wrongly assume they are at the top of the food chain, and tend to disappear. Dogs only have to worry about cars.

I have had a dog eat the corner of a door, another liked stucco (I have no idea why), and shoes. My son currently has a fairly good scratch on his leg from a dog playing with him. My dog will bark a lot if you ring the door bell but would be more than happy to let anyone with a steak (or anything else that appears to have at some point been on a human's plate) into the house.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Have to say both - I'd love a dog, but it doesn't fit in with the lifestyle. My cat is happy to kip on my bed from the moment I go out to work until she hears the key in the door - then she takes herself for a walk. If we want to take our bikes and disappear from dawn till dusk the cat isn't bothered, just hangs around breaking into the neighbours' houses until we get home (although the episode where she brought home the hamster was a little disturbing.)

Still fancy owning a dog, mind, just for the novelty of living with something that might do as I tell it.

TRENDING THREADS