• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

catastrophic tire failure - steps to take?

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a tire manufacturer's new model catastrophically fail on me over the weekend. it appears a seam ripped due to hard braking on a descent. I've been racing since 1983 and never had a failure like this (ended up in hospital with broken bones, abrasions from head to toe). I'm concerned that the tire may be dangerous - what steps should I take in following up besides contacting the manufacturer?

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
it was an ultremo r.1 clincher. failure occurred during breaking on a short, steep descent. what has me concerned is the line where the tire contacts the edge of the rim - image 641 shows this. I'm wondering if braking shear stress caused the rip

Looks like overinflation or manufacturing defect. The force of braking would not seem to be the cause of that since it is spread out and only acts on an area for an instant. Call them up and send them the tire. I am sure that they would like to know what is going on with their product.

A

Anonymous

dajonker said:
Looks like a Schwalbe Ultremo. Was it a regular or tubular tire? How much pressure did you pump into it?

I seem to remember something about Schwalbe having problems with the Ultremo. Was there a recall? i tried some out a couple of years ago (not a racer) and they wore out very quickly. I kept one on by back wheel when I should probebly have changed it and it de-laminated, big strips of tire just came off. That, and the BIG$$ cost cured me of Ultremos. Felt very nice. They have a very high pressure rating.

TRENDING THREADS