• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav - imho, not lookin' good for the Worlds

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
First, I'm a Cav fan. I think the guy is humble, not arrogant - remember it ain't braggin' when its true, ya? Ok. He always thanks the team first. And, he's a kid, and just learning how to deal with fame - and fame is NOT easy. We have so many examples of fame being deadly, I won't list examples.

Now, I really hoped that he might stand a chance at the world's this year - just like the Milan San Remo where he shocked. But I gotta admit, seeing how he is suffering in the Vuelta - even tho I'm pretty sure the heat is taking as much toll as the mountains - I just can't think he really stands a chance over all those lumps in Oz.

So, I guess I'm gonna root for Cancellara. Not really his "type" of course, either, but I'm not currently "fanning" any riders the course suits.

Cheers;
Hiero

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cav on his absolute best form would need a lot of luck to contest the finish on this year's World's course, and he doesn't seem to be on his absolute best form.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't help Hamster Man that he will have only a tiny team - no big train of riders to help pull back a break, or thin the peloton, or get him into position. Combine that with a lot of teams who are going to want to make the race really hard on the climbs so as to drop the sprinters before the end, and Cav's chances are very slim.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
So, I guess I'm gonna root for Cancellara. Not really his "type" of course, either, but I'm not currently "fanning" any riders the course suits.

Cheers;
Hiero

Do you have a third choice ready just in case? Maybe someone whose name doesn't start with a C? :D Cancellara has been coming in way back in the pack every day. Today he and three others came in last together at 21' 03" back. He's an hour and 22 minutes back in the overall, so unless he's trying to lull the other riders into a false sense of security so he can Time Trial a stage, there must be something going on.

He said the other day that he'll assess his form before deciding to go to Worlds. Australia is a long trip to make if he doesn't think he'll be in top form with a chance to win.

Jamsque said:
Cav on his absolute best form would need a lot of luck to contest the finish on this year's World's course, and he doesn't seem to be on his absolute best form.

The general perception on this forum seems to be- "people are underestimating the Geelong course". But maybe, just maybe, we are overestimating it? Is it that much harder than MSR?

Im not saying cav will win, im saying, a sprinter might yet have this.

theswordsman said:
Do you have a third choice ready just in case? Maybe someone whose name doesn't start with a C? :D Cancellara has been coming in way back in the pack every day. Today he and three others came in last together at 21' 03" back. He's an hour and 22 minutes back in the overall, so unless he's trying to lull the other riders into a false sense of security so he can Time Trial a stage, there must be something going on.

He said the other day that he'll assess his form before deciding to go to Worlds. Australia is a long trip to make if he doesn't think he'll be in top form with a chance to win.
There's no way you can assess Cancellara's form from his performance in this Vuelta so far. We won't know until he decides to give himself a little test, but until he does he could come dead last every single stage and still be building up towards the form of his life according to his schedule.

hrotha said:
There's no way you can assess Cancellara's form from his performance in this Vuelta so far. We won't know until he decides to give himself a little test, but until he does he could come dead last every single stage and still be building up towards the form of his life according to his schedule.

I think Cancellara will be in form for the Worlds. He might even carry this form into Lombardia. Whether its because hes special or because of um clinic stuff, Cancellara comes into form when he wants to.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
First, I'm a Cav fan. I think the guy is humble, not arrogant - remember it ain't braggin' when its true, ya?

Ah, that's why we always hear Freire, Gilbert and Cancellara talking smack.

hrotha said:

+1

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Recall previous world champions who came to the Vuelta to ride quietly in the back, not on the attack, and weren't contesting every stage.

I still recall Cav dropping Armstrong and others on the Poggio on the way to MSR. He can get ready for the big event when it counts.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
michaeld said:
Recall previous world champions who came to the Vuelta to ride quietly in the back, not on the attack, and weren't contesting every stage.

I still recall Cav dropping Armstrong and others on the Poggio on the way to MSR. He can get ready for the big event when it counts.

An old lady pushing a stroller could have dropped Armstrong on the Poggio in 2009.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hamster Man

Beech Mtn said:
It doesn't help Hamster Man that he will have only a tiny team - no big train of riders to help pull back a break, or thin the peloton, or get him into position. Combine that with a lot of teams who are going to want to make the race really hard on the climbs so as to drop the sprinters before the end, and Cav's chances are very slim.

Hamster man? Thats a new one. Did you make it up yourself?

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
with only 3 riders the brits will be eaten alive by the big boys. who will chase when the spanish and italians get into the break?

cancellara will not be there. and if he is, he will be focusing on defending the time trial and could only be considered a very long shot for the road race.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The general perception on this forum seems to be- "people are underestimating the Geelong course". But maybe, just maybe, we are overestimating it? Is it that much harder than MSR?

Im not saying cav will win, im saying, a sprinter might yet have this.

IMO two things are different from MSR: Even if you only have one climb, you climb it 16-18 times, in MSR the climbs are harder than some of the worlds climbs but they are towards the end you are not constantly climbing and responding to attacks for 120 km.

Second thing is you have about 20 guys/teams who can actually win the race, more attacks and teams are smaller so its harder to control the race. Unless its like 02 worlds, mass sprint just wont happen IMO

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Cancellara nor Cavendish have raced since the TdF; hence they lack competition. They're just slowly building form. Cav is good when he needs to be; when the vuelta is ending he'll be sprinting as in France and he'll be good at the worlds don't worry. I'm not so sure about Cancellara though as he already had a monsterpeak in the spring classics and another peak at the TdF. But we'll see when the TT comes about him.
Conclusion: Cavendish will, imo, be at his best at the worlds; about Cancellara I'm not so sure

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
First, I'm a Cav fan. I think the guy is humble, not arrogant - remember it ain't braggin' when its true, ya? Ok. He always thanks the team first. And, he's a kid, and just learning how to deal with fame - and fame is NOT easy. We have so many examples of fame being deadly, I won't list examples.

Now, I really hoped that he might stand a chance at the world's this year - just like the Milan San Remo where he shocked. But I gotta admit, seeing how he is suffering in the Vuelta - even tho I'm pretty sure the heat is taking as much toll as the mountains - I just can't think he really stands a chance over all those lumps in Oz.

Cheers;
Hiero
Yeah I like Cav. He seems like a nice guy. He shouldnt get such a bad rap hes nowhere near as mouthy as Mcewan in his day, or as offensive as Cipo

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Who will chase

spanky wanderlust said:
with only 3 riders the brits will be eaten alive by the big boys. who will chase when the spanish and italians get into the break?

cancellara will not be there. and if he is, he will be focusing on defending the time trial and could only be considered a very long shot for the road race.

The Aussies the Americans the Germans.If not them, the Russians the Belgians

Michielveedeebee said:
Cav is good when he needs to be; when the vuelta is ending he'll be sprinting as in France and he'll be good at the worlds don't worry.
Yea, he was on such good form for defending his MSR title.
online-rider said:
Yeah I like Cav. He seems like a nice guy. He shouldnt get such a bad rap hes nowhere near as mouthy as Mcewan in his day, or as offensive as Cipo
I reckon that in a few years' time another mouthy, gobby sprinter will be crushing the opposition, Cav will be a bit older and slower, and we'll be looking nostalgically back on him and thinking he was a fun character, the same way as Cipo is much more popular now than he ever would have been if the internet was around when he was dominating.
simo1733 said:
The Aussies the Americans the Germans.If not them, the Russians the Belgians

These teams won't put anyone in the break? Have you seen the Aussie team? Do you really think they'll be trying to pull back breaks for Allan Davis or Matt Goss to try and outsprint Cavendish? No way. Americans maybe. Germans, sure, but they'll probably put Wegmann in the break - he's surprisingly good at this kind of parcours - so that they don't have to chase. The Russians - for who? Who's going to sprint for the Russians? They're more likely to use Ivanov and Kolobnev as attackers. And the Belgians? What, seriously? With no Boonen, and Philippe Gilbert in the team? Would you seriously be willing to chase when the best sprinter you have available is Wouter Weylandt and you have possibly the favourite for the race in the team, who requires attacks to win?

TRENDING THREADS