• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav: "The Vuelta has become stupid"

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Lets face it sprint stages are boring, they are slowly going. 5 years ago it was common to have 8 stages for sprinters in the tour, this year there were 5. Slowly but surely they are being cut down and replaced by entertainig stages with cobbles uphill finishes.... Seems good to me.
Totally agree. Sprint stages are so mind numbingly dull. The tour of Britain has been pretty boring so far as every stage has been effectively a sprint stage with the exception of a couple of interesting hills. You can switch on halfway through and predict there will be a break of 4 riders with 3 mins getting slowly brought back- every stage!

I think up to 5 standard sprint stages is ok for a GT but no more.

Re: Re:

thiscocks said:
Ramon Koran said:
Lets face it sprint stages are boring, they are slowly going. 5 years ago it was common to have 8 stages for sprinters in the tour, this year there were 5. Slowly but surely they are being cut down and replaced by entertainig stages with cobbles uphill finishes.... Seems good to me.
Totally agree. Sprint stages are so mind numbingly dull. The tour of Britain has been pretty boring so far as every stage has been effectively a sprint stage with the exception of a couple of interesting hills. You can switch on halfway through and predict there will be a break of 4 riders with 3 mins getting slowly brought back- every stage!

Truth. Unless here is wind flat sprint stages are snoozers. I'm recording the Tour of Britain and fast forwarding to the final 5km. I don't think I've missed anything of relevance.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
thiscocks said:
Ramon Koran said:

Truth. Unless here is wind flat sprint stages are snoozers. I'm recording the Tour of Britain and fast forwarding to the final 5km. I don't think I've missed anything of relevance.

Agreed with all posters.

But I think the main point is the stages you substitute with the sprint stages, you dont necessarily want to do as the Vuelta and effectively making them all uphill sprints. They should mix it a lot more up with some nice stages ala Giro. But I agree with the fact that 5 stages for pure sprinters is enough. Sagan will be in it, normally in a GT at peak, for 10 stages anyways. We should celebrate the hard sprinters, the complete riders more.

Any other GT like Giro or TDF is targeted. The Vuelta since it is last comes only as an afterthought because it is at the end of the season. Most f the riders participating are underdone or overdone and unsure of their form. most of the top riders are on equal footing As a result, it plays for exciting racing provide the parcours is that way. Nobody in their right mind is going in a breakaway in a flat stage for GC. New talents are found & top rider get a chance to save their season. At Giro everybody is fresh. At TDF everybody is at top form.

1572hq9.jpg

Why do the same peope on here complain over and over again about everything

The Vuelta has been the most exciting race this year, last year and every year since and including 2012

Yet people come on here saying it not this and it s not that ...its exciting , end of
We are on the eve of this year's final stage and we still don't know how it will pan out

GC is very close and it always throws up surprises

42x16ss said:
Ruby United said:
LaFlorecita said:
“No-one wants to go to the Vuelta any more unless they crashed out of the Tour de France."

Except for Nairito, Froome, Valverde, Purito, Aru, Landa, Chaves, Majka, Sagan, Degenkolb, Moreno, Pozzovivo, Ewan etc etc

He was focusing on sprinters I think
Sprinters like Degenkolb, Bouhanni, Sagan, Ewan and Van Poppel?

Bouhanni crashed out of Le Tour and Cofidis has interests in Spain. Ewan and Van Poppel are still U23 and don't have pedigree to be competitive in Le Tour yet. From that list only Degenkolb and Sagan are huge names that chose to ride the Vuelta without having any setbacks in the Tour. And of the major reasons to do the Vuelta is to have competitive racing towards the World Championships.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Why do the same peope on here complain over and over again about everything

The Vuelta has been the most exciting race this year, last year and every year since and including 2012

Yet people come on here saying it not this and it s not that ...its exciting , end of
We are on the eve of this year's final stage and we still don't know how it will pan out

GC is very close and it always throws up surprises

Ha, and I thought I would need to wait 330 days for posts like this.

Ricco' said:
42x16ss said:
Ruby United said:
LaFlorecita said:
“No-one wants to go to the Vuelta any more unless they crashed out of the Tour de France."

Except for Nairito, Froome, Valverde, Purito, Aru, Landa, Chaves, Majka, Sagan, Degenkolb, Moreno, Pozzovivo, Ewan etc etc

He was focusing on sprinters I think
Sprinters like Degenkolb, Bouhanni, Sagan, Ewan and Van Poppel?

Bouhanni crashed out of Le Tour and Cofidis has interests in Spain. Ewan and Van Poppel are still U23 and don't have pedigree to be competitive in Le Tour yet. From that list only Degenkolb and Sagan are huge names that chose to ride the Vuelta without having any setbacks in the Tour. And of the major reasons to do the Vuelta is to have competitive racing towards the World Championships.
possibly because they did not win in the tour