• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav to sky: a blessing in disguise for EBH?

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Initially my feelings were that cavendish coming to sky was a negative for EBH, who i consider a much more exiting talent than cav. However, after watching EBH deliver at tirreno, taking the opportunity when given, I wonder if cav at sky might be great for EBH.

The key thing is it takes pressure of EBH to participate in all flat sprints. He podiums a lot but doesnt win due to not being a specialized sprinter. With 2nds and 3rds come what ifs, explanations and mounting pressure from fans and media, let alone his team. Now that cav is there for the flats, the team wins, everyone feels good and pressure is off EBH which makes winning a lot easier when he gets the chance himself.

It will be exciting to see if EBH will go on the poggio next weekend together with gva/or the likes and win from a small group:) infromt of a chasing pack with cav in it...

Creer es poder!

In my view if EBH goes in a move with GVA everyone would try shut it down- even BMC as they know EBH would probably smash GVA. The only way he can win a group in front of Cav is if he follows the moves of Ballan/ Cancellara and all the others. Of course if Cav is dropped/ on an off day Sky should work to pull it back together for him, he is also Co-Leader so he shall be protected up until the last 1km

Could be. I don't see it as particularly negative, at least. The only disadvantage I can see is that he won't be able to fight for the green jersey in the TDF. Else than that, the chances of him actually being able to win a sprint when Cav is there are extremely low so he might as well lead him out then.

However, if EBH has to wait for Cav in M-SR then I'll definitely change my mind...

maltiv said:
Could be. I don't see it as particularly negative, at least. The only disadvantage I can see is that he won't be able to fight for the green jersey in the TDF. Else than that, the chances of him actually being able to win a sprint when Cav is there are extremely low so he might as well lead him out then.

However, if EBH has to wait for Cav in M-SR then I'll definitely change my mind...

That wont happen. EBH is Sky's back up with the advantage that if there is a split with Cav dropped EBH has an excuse to to ride with the break

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Sky have two very good hands for MSR - if it is hard race and breaks up EBH and if it stays together Cav

I think the OP makes a good point - EBH can concentrate on the things he is really good at - hard sprint finishes and winning from break or final selection.