• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish angry

"is not a problem for me, because I'm a better rider [then Greipel]"

"I didn't make the choice [to ride California]. I love Italy, I love the Giro but I'm paid to do this now, so I have to do it."

"I was pretty ****ed with Greipel's comments after Sanremo," he said. "If he thought he could win, he'd say it before the race rather than when he's looking at the results sheet. It wasn't through lack of form that I didn't win San Remo - it was bad luck. Last year I won it picking my nose."

"If I wanted to get **** small wins, I'd race **** small races."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/06/mark-cavendish-andre-greipel

Pretty aggressive respond. Perhaps he thinks he's god, because if he doesn't get everything he wants he begins to cry like a baby.

He won San Remo picking his nose last year did he? Funny, that's not how I remember it at all. Then again he's shown a tendency to rewrite stuff after the fact as well, like when he was talking about being unbeatable at the end of last year, conveniently forgetting Petacchi making him look foolish in the Giro.

And most of the reason Greipel was racing "**** small races" was because Columbia sent their A-train to help Cav in the Tour. And I do recall that, when Greipel got to race a big race, he came home with the points jersey. Sour grapes?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Faserr said:
"is not a problem for me, because I'm a better rider [then Greipel]"

"I didn't make the choice [to ride California]. I love Italy, I love the Giro but I'm paid to do this now, so I have to do it."

"I was pretty ****ed with Greipel's comments after Sanremo," he said. "If he thought he could win, he'd say it before the race rather than when he's looking at the results sheet. It wasn't through lack of form that I didn't win San Remo - it was bad luck. Last year I won it picking my nose."

"If I wanted to get **** small wins, I'd race **** small races."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/06/mark-cavendish-andre-greipel

Pretty aggressive respond. Perhaps he thinks he's god, because if he doesn't get everything he wants he begins to cry like a baby.

what a freakin t@sser. I hate that guy.

he really is a cocky pr!ck. Cav is showing all these 'small' races complete disrespect and belittling the efforts they put in organizing these races.

Cav can talk it up when he has the best lead out train in the world, and griepel is left with the scaps. I wonder if he'd be talking like this if it were the other way round.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow, Griepel has really got under his skin this time.

By all accounts they've never really got on so this is nothing new and Griepel has made some pretty snide comments towards Cav (After MSR and when saying he'd be better of leaving Columbia a couple of months ago).

I like that fact that Cav speaks his mind and doesn't give interviews where you know a media man has told him what to say but this is over the top. He should rise above it a just let his riding do the talking.

Maybe he's incredibly pi**ed off that he's been told to ride the EPO tour (sorry Amgen Tour Of California) rather than the Giro.

However- I'd take a 80% fit Cav over Griepel any day of the week so in that respect I think he's right.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

he really is a cocky pr!ck. Cav is showing all these 'small' races complete disrespect and belittling the efforts they put in organizing these races.

Cav can talk it up when he has the best lead out train in the world, and griepel is left with the scaps. I wonder if he'd be talking like this if it were the other way round.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Greipel basically gets the left overs cav doesn't want. Anyone dare to defend him?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Couldn't of said it better myself. Greipel basically gets the left overs cav doesn't want. Anyone dare to defend him?

you will like this: evans > cav.
at least evans isn't a d!ck and disrespectful like this guy.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Cav to Sky.

Need to put Cav and Armstrong in a room together so they can both re-write history. Just remember the holocaust never happened and the World War II only began when America joined.

Excellent!

A

Anonymous

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

Cav is showing all these 'small' races complete disrespect and belittling the efforts they put in organizing these races.

How is he belittling the efforts put into organising the races? I'm sure the organisers aren't stupid enough to think a small race is a big race. (He's likely to be saying "s**t small" as a scouse-anism for "very small", not calling them "s**t").

There's a reason Cav is first-choice over Greipel. Oh, and M-SR '09 showed Cav can win big without his train.

Greipel saying he could win M-SR is like Cav saying he could win Liege-B-Liege. Never gonna happen. Cav is right to put Greipel back in his box, even if his way of doing it is a little unsophisticated.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
WOW!! Unbelievable he would say those things...I really didn't think Greipel said anything that bad earlier. I will say, any respect I still had for Crapendish is now gone...he may be a great rider...but is a complete titt turd!!

And I would also take Greipel over an 80% Cav anyday.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
How is he belittling the efforts put into organising the races? I'm sure the organisers aren't stupid enough to think a small race is a big race. (He's likely to be saying "s**t small" as a scouse-anism for "very small", not calling them "s**t").

There's a reason Cav is first-choice over Greipel. Oh, and M-SR '09 showed Cav can win big without his train.

Greipel saying he could win M-SR is like Cav saying he could win Liege-B-Liege. Never gonna happen. Cav is right to put Greipel back in his box, even if his way of doing it is a little unsophisticated.

Why is Greipel not capable of winning MSR? Winning the overall twice at TDU suggests that if anything, he can cope with the climbs better then Cavendish.

A

Anonymous

Ibanez said:
Why is Greipel not capable of winning MSR? Winning the overall twice at TDU suggests that if anything, he can cope with the climbs better then Cavendish.

You mean the Greipel that was hanging on for dear life and, rumour from other pro's has it, was getting a literal "hand" up by his team-mates? Yeah, ok. Tell you what, if Greipel ever wins MSR I will buy you a pro-team jersey of your choosing.

Edit: and if you're so confident he can, then if he doesn't win it you can buy me one... willing to accept that?

As for Cav v Greipel, I guess we'll see in Australia later this year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:

wilunga this year proves that. doesn't have to go with the leaders on the poggio to win MSR.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:

Or not? At all? Did you watch either of those races? If you think getting over the Cipressa and the Poggio after 250km of mostly full-speed racing in a fit and motivated pro peloton is easier than getting over Willunga hill twice after 100km of out-of-shape early-season dawdling then you are crazy.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If Team GB can put a decent train together then Cav will have a great shot at winning it, and if he gets beaten it won't be by Greipel.

Angliru said:
He needs to grow up. He's disrespecting his opponents and the sport with his attitude. Taking a breath before opening his mouth would help.

He won´t grow up as he´s really Peter Pan who thinks everyone else are pirates and Greipel is Hook.

Amazing calling races "**** small". Talk about a "**** small perspective". I don´t care how good a sprinter he is; maybe one of these days his mouth will be the cause of a pay cut from sponsors.....then we may see a change in his use of english, though he´ll then need to carry around a Thesaurus.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Or not? At all? Did you watch either of those races? If you think getting over the Cipressa and the Poggio after 250km of mostly full-speed racing in a fit and motivated pro peloton is easier than getting over Willunga hill twice after 100km of out-of-shape early-season dawdling then you are crazy.

Ah whatever. 2 years ago, Cavendish couldn't climb over a bridge. Yes I concede claiming that TDU proves as much climbing ability as MSR is a bit of a stretch, but what it does show is that Greipel CAN climb.

I see no reason why Greipel isn't capable of winning MSR if the race doesn't explode on the Cipressa and Poggio. I remember in 09 there were almost no attacks, and so Cav made it (just). Hell, Mcewen used to make it over every now and then.

My point is, some editions of MSR have pretty large groups coming to the line, and if Greipel is in that group he has a good a chance as anybody in my opinion. So don't call me crazy, this is only an internet forum.

TRENDING THREADS