• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish angry

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Greipel would certainly have a shot at winning M-SR if he made it to the sprint, yes, but I can't really see him outpacing the calibre of sprinters who contended the finish this year (Bennati, Boonen, Petacchi, Friere). In a way I think Greipel benefits a lot from being on a team with Cav. If he was the number 1 sprinter on the team he would be going to all the biggest races and probably not getting anywhere near the number of wins he has been. As it is, he mainly gets to race against guys that aren't quite at his level, and still doesn't dominate (see JJ Haedo beating him yesterday).

Hibbles said:
How is he belittling the efforts put into organising the races? I'm sure the organisers aren't stupid enough to think a small race is a big race. (He's likely to be saying "s**t small" as a scouse-anism for "very small", not calling them "s**t").

Nail on the head. Evidently non native english speakers aren't aware of this particular idiom, so are assuming that the use of the word **** implies anything to do with bad, when it fact it could be exactly replaced with the word very.

Once you understand that, I think it's pretty fair to characterise several of Griepel's wins as very small compared to the level of competition Cavendish got his wins against last year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
While I would never accuse Cav of being burdened with an over-abundant amount of tact, I think he's fairly spot-on with what he said, with the obvious exception of his 'won M-SR while picking my nose' comment which is just his usual bravado.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Always thought Cavendish was an *** now I know for sure. It's just disrespectful to call race organizers hard work and perseverance **** races frankly he's below Armstrong on my dislike level.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Nail on the head. Evidently non native english speakers aren't aware of this particular idiom, so are assuming that the use of the word **** implies anything to do with bad, when it fact it could be exactly replaced with the word very.

Once you understand that, I think it's pretty fair to characterise several of Griepel's wins as very small compared to the level of competition Cavendish got his wins against last year.

Stop being a homer Cav actions are indefensible if an American or Spanish rider does something stupid I'm not going to defend them because they come from the same country. Second of all Greipel has won the points jersey in agrand tour something Cav can't claim

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish = SMS (small man syndrome). I wonder why I've never seen him on top of the World Rankings...

This dude should grow up and show some respect. Then maybe one day he will get some himself.

franciep10 said:
Stop being a homer Cav actions are indefensible if an American or Spanish rider does something stupid I'm not going to defend them because they come from the same country. Second of all Greipel has won the points jersey in agrand tour something Cav can't claim

I'm not denying his words are arrogant, just trying to help you understand what he actually meant, as its clear from your previous post that you did not read my post before writing and misunderstood his use of the word ****.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sure, Greipel has won the points jersey at the Vuelta, but I guarantee you right now he would trade it for 10 TdF wins and a monument in a heartbeat.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'm not denying his words are arrogant, just trying to help you understand what he actually meant, as its clear from your previous post that you did not read my post before writing and misunderstood his use of the word ****.

I read your post but there is no way that he should call those races **** races even if it's common to say in the UK it's just disrespectful.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
A couple of years ago I liked Cavendish. Nowadays not so much.

What he said.

I have tried to like Cavendish but now can't stand the guy. I'm a fan of any sprinter who beats him and hope Greipel finds a team next year that can support him. Would love to see them lock horns at MSR next year, that's for sure.

franciep10 said:
I read your post but there is no way that he should call those races **** races even if it's common to say in the UK it's just disrespectful.

I'm afraid you're still misunderstanding me/Cavendish.

He's not calling them ****, he's calling them **** small.

In the UK, that doesn't mean "****" in the slightest, it means "very small". Not "very small + rubbish", just "very small".

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
He needs to grow up. He's disrespecting his opponents and the sport with his attitude. Taking a breath before opening his mouth would help.

Can you imagine what his breath must smell like? His teammates must be proud.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Sure, Greipel has won the points jersey at the Vuelta, but I guarantee you right now he would trade it for 10 TdF wins and a monument in a heartbeat.

Yes, he probably would. But that doesn't make the Vuelta a sh*t-small race.
If it would come with Cav's personality I don't think he would trade at all.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Why do people even care about that fool. He's getting way to much attention already. Sprinters pff... Leeches who suck on wheels, only to steal the glory (Zabel, Boonen etc. the exception ofc.). Let's discuss real riders instead..

thehog said:
Cav to Sky.

Need to put Cav and Armstrong in a room together so they can both re-write history. Just remember the holocaust never happened and the World War II only began when America joined.

I've not had much of an opinion one way or the other about Cav, but saying something like "he will never ride the same race with me," does have something of that tyranical Armstrong attitude about it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
With respect - I think people need to read the whole article, not just the OP's quotes.

As an example - the "shit small" reference was not in relation to Griepel or the Vuelta but about his own preparation for the rest of the season, as he said "If I wanted to just win races I wouldn't ride every ProTour race."

I think Cav has started to calm down - at least he didn't threaten to get off his bike and hit Griepel :D

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

+1.

Cav is arrogant and it's great. Some people take him far too seriously though - which i'm sure is exactly what he wants!

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
GoGarmin said:
What he said.

I have tried to like Cavendish but now can't stand the guy. I'm a fan of any sprinter who beats him and hope Greipel finds a team next year that can support him. Would love to see them lock horns at MSR next year, that's for sure.

He wore out all positive feelings I had for him during the 2009 TdF with a cockiness that was over-the-top. A little too much grandstanding for me, as though he's entitled to the green jersey.

Yes, he could back it up, but a little humility goes a long way. Trouble is, I think that fly-boy cockiness is something that serves him well in the frenetic world of sprinting that he excels at.

I did love Thor sending him a good solid message to get the green jersey last year.

It will be interesting to see what happens with where Cav ends up riding next year and Greipel too. HTC will lose one of them, if not both, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP7zJ_FtiCo

There you go, Greipel not just climbing but winning uphill, putting 4" into the likes of Sammy Sánchez on an uphill finish. He's not as quick as Cav, but he's quick nevertheless. I'd back him to beat the likes of Freire and Petacchi at least as many times as they beat him in a straight man-against-man sprint. I think he doesn't have their smarts or knowledge of which wheels to follow, where to put himself, when to jump exactly and so on, however.

TRENDING THREADS