• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish at it again

Talking about beating Tyler Farrar in stage 11:

"He is an incredibly nice guy and it is a shame to say he is not a super good sprinter," Cavendish told Cyclingnews after his win in Arenzano. "I don't think he is at the level of me or [Alessandro] Petacchi."

I don't necessarily disagree with him, but I'm guessing Tyler didn't appreciate it. I guess this is the kind of stuff that makes him disliked by some(and loved by others).

The 1st statement obviously comes across worse than the 2nd.

It is intersting to not what Tyler said in the same report...

"It was frustrating, but Mark just flat-out beat me today. No way around it, he was the fastest guy today," Farrar told Cyclingnews.

He seems to agree with Cavendish :rolleyes:

Cav is young, bold, brash sprinter and it is not surprising that he says bold, brash stuff. I find it refreshing but clearly it annoys some folk. IMHO he is a great thing for a sport that needs some things to cheer about :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cav walks a fine line between arrogant *** and confident charmer--both of which wear thin when overused. I think he's much more powerful and appealing on his bike with his mouth shut.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Farrar is right up there, he's been second and third? A few times, where are the rest? Behind Farrar. He'll get his soon (Farrar). Farrar may have to wait till Cavendish/Petacchi make a mistake but he's still there and he can clean up if either does mess up.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I think many are waiting for Cav to ride himself into the barriers and be smashed up for 6 months. You see you can't make comments about the barriers cos they don't answer back.

Tyler speaks Flemish. He did it the hard way grafting out shtty races in Belgium to get tough. Cav has an easy ride with British Cycling. My tax money Cav ! So shut up !

jaylew said:
Talking about beating Tyler Farrar in stage 11:

"He is an incredibly nice guy and it is a shame to say he is not a super good sprinter," Cavendish told Cyclingnews after his win in Arenzano. "I don't think he is at the level of me or [Alessandro] Petacchi."

I don't necessarily disagree with him, but I'm guessing Tyler didn't appreciate it. I guess this is the kind of stuff that makes him disliked by some(and loved by others).

The 1st statement obviously comes across worse than the 2nd.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm one who does not like the comments from Cav. He is incredibly fast...the only thing faster may be his mouth. The comments about Ferrar are totally rediculous. I tend to look at Cav's success (especially yesterday) and note the absolutely perfect leadout. He would have to be an idiot not to win with a team that puts him in that position. Anyway, I love to watch Cav sprint...but I hate it when he opens his mouth.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
And it is the truth. No disrespect to Farrar, because he has been doing great, but Cavendish and Petacchi are the two strongest sprinters in this year's Giro. Farrar will get better, Petacchi will get older and slower. But right now, Cavendish told the truth and what better than mind games between ultra-aggressive sprinters?

Cavendish is an exceptional athlete but I really don't believe that it is his intent or even that he even has the mental capacitities to play "mind games" with his opponents. He just has this missing part of his brain that fails to alert him that what he is thinking doesn't necessarily need to be verbalized. Everybody knows he is a great sprinter but when he feels the need to tell everyone else and then minimize the abilities of his opponents at the same time it is more a statement of his own insecurities and lack of class. I'm actually surprised that he showed Petacchi such respect.

I don't think Farrar will be crying into his vino Rosso in the evennig. You don't get to be a sprinter if you're a ***. Farrar will be planning to stick it to Cav as soon as he can! What's the problem with all this?

This is a article from "Mundo Ciclistico" from Colombia:

Mauricio Soler, el formidable escalador colombiano del equipo Barloworld que compite en el Giro de Italia, terminó la etapa de este miércoles en Arenzano con alguna preocupación a causa de dolores e inflamación de su rodilla izquierda, afectada por el golpe que sufrió en la caída de la segunda etapa.

Soler is having problems with a tendinitis in his knee caused by a fall in the second stage. Isn't that the stage where Cavendish paunched Soler and made him fall. Cav is making a lot of friends in the Peloton.
Thanks Cav for being an **@@$$#.

LugHugger said:
hmmm, somehow i doubt that this can be proven. surely the race commissioner would have disqualified cav if this were the case?
I never heard of it again. I'll dig in some more and post it if I find anything. The incident between Cav and Soler happened after the race according to the source. So the punch, I have to correct, was from another Columbia rider. But we don't know what the definition of punch is?? You know when you are fighting for position there is a lot of wrestle anyway.
I wish I knew more.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Tyler speaks Flemish. He did it the hard way grafting out shtty races in Belgium to get tough. Cav has an easy ride with British Cycling. My tax money Cav ! So shut up !
WBT at it again. Your mouth is about as quick as Cav's is. Shame your brain isn't quite as good eh?

Susan Westemeyer said:
The German Eurosport commentators were talking about Farrar after the stage today. They basically said that he is too nice a guy and just doesn't have that hardness or "bite" that a sprinter needs to bull his way up to the front.

Well what is Cyclingnews' position? :)

Farrar seemed to be pretty stoked to win earlier this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts