• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish - Garmin hate?

What's up with the Garmin/Columbia war of words? Media hype? Leftover Wiggins breakup issues?

Sure, he alone probably won more races than the whole of Garmin last year, but does that require him to now be a ***?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish-Garmin hate

Just a little harmless trash talk. That said, both sides are going to look pretty stupid if some other team wins. Astana, Liquigas, whoever.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
There has been talk of Cavendish having some kind of personality problem since he came in to being, I call B.S. on that. All I see is a cocky 23 year old with some sprinting talent that really hasn't polished his public persona all that much, so he's getting caught saying stupid things. Typical 20 something with a chip on his shoulder. Big deal.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
look at the giro podium after their win last year. that buys MUCHO sponsorship. as a kid, cav is the guy i aspired to be (it was abodu then), so i can't bust him up too much. good on garmin for the focus. i don't think they win (astana will be formidable, but i think we'll se a surprise), but JV is the shat and i support the desire to win the TTT.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
it is obvious...

Cavendish is a doper - that is why he made that statement. He is, after all, T-Mobile. And he once talked with Lance.

Convict!!!!

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
What's up with the Garmin/Columbia war of words? Media hype? Leftover Wiggins breakup issues?

Sure, he alone probably won more races than the whole of Garmin last year, but does that require him to now be a ***?

What I don't understand here is that he is accusing Garmin of only concentrating on one stage. The TTT then the rest if prepartion for the Tour. But isn't that what Cavindick does ? Picks off the flat stages then goes home ! The guy pulled out of last years Tour for god sakes. Put a sock in it Cav.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
WBT, correction, Cav pulled out of the Tour so that he could complete his prep for the Olympics. Unfortunately, the British track management team forgot about the Madison and left him to ride with Wiggins who was emotionally and physically knackered.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
WBT, correction, Cav pulled out of the Tour so that he could complete his prep for the Olympics. Unfortunately, the British track management team forgot about the Madison and left him to ride with Wiggins who was emotionally and physically knackered.

I thought Wiggins forgot he still had the Madison to do in Beijing. I'm sure he was a bit wobbly on his bike.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
El Loto said:
I thought Wiggins forgot he still had the Madison to do in Beijing. I'm sure he was a bit wobbly on his bike.

That might also be true :D This is one of the rare examples of Brailsford's team letting the riders down and not forseeing Wiggins being less than 100% and having a contingency ready in the shape of, say, Steve Burke.

180mmCrank said:
Cavendish is just having fun IMHO. I think someone said above he is a cocky 23 year old! He seems surprisingly well grounded considering how rapid his rise in the sport. He's a breath of fresh air.

I dunno, 180. I think he IS a cocky 23 year old, and not too well grounded (Just like the majority of the top pros).

When RDV applied the cocky label, he also noted that Cav hasn't mastered the PR side of being a pro yet, so he gets caught saying goofy things. I'm sure that's the only difference between him and most of the other ridiculously talented pros.

But saying that the focus on the TTT is disrespectful is patently ridiculous. Cav sprints. That's what he's good at. Garmin is good at TTTs. Why is their focus on that disrespectful?

Stuff like this, combined with his pooh-poohing the Olympics just b/c he wanted to win and didn't, his constant self-praise, and his dismissive attitude towards other riders--even when they BEAT him (Farrar)--makes me kind of dislike Cav.

He reminds me of Veruca Salt. :eek:

(Just an opinion, though, and not a very informed one...)

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Cavendish is just having fun IMHO. I think someone said above he is a cocky 23 year old! He seems surprisingly well grounded considering how rapid his rise in the sport. He's a breath of fresh air.

Cav is hilarious.
Brash, sure.

Burt without the edge of say a young and brash Armstrong.

He is not doing himself a world of favors with continually talking down how unimportant the Olympics are in cycling--while true--because tp the Brits its all that matters.

He needs to let it go. He got screwed because Wiggins was done after the IPursuit and Team Pursuit and couldnt do the Madison.
Nut the Madison is a hard race to win in any event since he and Wiggins would have been ferociously marked in any form.

But Cav is great.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just like Ricco last year some trash talking animates the race and directs attention at the race as well. I see it as good for the overall race as it adds more to it than the GC which both teams have no chance at. It gives them something to aim for, who betters the other team in wins, overall team classification, possible jersey wearing day count.

Beats the heck out of doping talk!

I say lets get the Italian teams into the action; rivive Gibo vs Cunego, Lance vs Gibo, Basso vs Gibo! If they don't do it we should ;)

I don't have a problem with trash-talking in sport at all; hmmmm actually personally I DO have a problem with it because I like to do it as well! That being said, trash talking that is stupid and nonsensical like what Cav delivered here is just annoying. I mean what the Hell is he talking about? Ummm duh, a team that is good at TTT's is focusing on the TTT. That's not "disrespectful" it's called common sense. Cav should at least grow a brain if he wants to play the trash talking game, otherwise STFU.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I dunno, 180. I think he IS a cocky 23 year old, and not too well grounded (Just like the majority of the top pros).

When RDV applied the cocky label, he also noted that Cav hasn't mastered the PR side of being a pro yet, so he gets caught saying goofy things. I'm sure that's the only difference between him and most of the other ridiculously talented pros.

But saying that the focus on the TTT is disrespectful is patently ridiculous. Cav sprints. That's what he's good at. Garmin is good at TTTs. Why is their focus on that disrespectful?

Stuff like this, combined with his pooh-poohing the Olympics just b/c he wanted to win and didn't, his constant self-praise, and his dismissive attitude towards other riders--even when they BEAT him (Farrar)--makes me kind of dislike Cav.

He reminds me of Veruca Salt. :eek:

(Just an opinion, though, and not a very informed one...)

Have none of you guys seen the eurosport program where he basically attributes all of his success to his team, where he constantly praises everyone, stresses how much he couldnt do it on his own. also when he opens his mouth he backs it up. a refreshingly honest personality in cycling. someone who is outspoken against doping. suppose you americans dont get that

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
Have none of you guys seen the eurosport program where he basically attributes all of his success to his team, where he constantly praises everyone, stresses how much he couldnt do it on his own. also when he opens his mouth he backs it up. a refreshingly honest personality in cycling. someone who is outspoken against doping. suppose you americans dont get that

+1

Not just the Eurosport program, but every time he wins he thanks his team and acknowledges he would not have won without their help.

stefrees said:

wtf is doping?

TRENDING THREADS