• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish to win Milan San Remo?

Rolf Aldag, Cavendish's sports-director, reckons Milan San Remo is still realistic for Cav. I say No-Chance and Aldag knows it.

Reason : Cavendish got himself a new girlfriend at the end of last season and evidently he's been taking more care of her than his training/preparation. Good for him & for her! But not so good for his racing.

There just isn't time [less than 3 weeks from now] for him to lose the weight & do the right training to up his power to win MSR 2010. I like him, he is a top top rider but it's a real shame that his management team has not kept him motivated & on the right tracks.

Arrogance has also something to do with it, maybe? Last year was too easy for Cav, he got cocky, if he wasn't already. His management made their mistake right there, in not controlling his attitude.
(M-S 2009 was handed to him by Haussler, by the way.)

Anyway, looking forward to a more leveled sprint field this year, it could be great.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
What are you guys basing that on? Just opinion? Cav's dental troubles have set him back. I think he's still a favorite to win MSR but will face more difficulty for sure.

Swingtop said:
(M-S 2009 was handed to him by Haussler, by the way.)

As much as I like them both, I somewhat agree. Had Haussler not tucked his down and looked back, I think he could have held on. Never look back in a sprint.

A

Anonymous

ImmaculateKadence said:
What are you guys basing that on? Just opinion? Cav's dental troubles have set him back. I think he's still a favorite to win MSR but will face more difficulty for sure.

As much as I like them both, I somewhat agree. Had Haussler not tucked his down and looked back, I think he could have held on. Never look back in a sprint.

his teeth have held him back, but also he wants to seriously contend the green jersey, and the worlds possibly could suit a sprinter, so his year will be geared up to finish two months later this year.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Cav may not quite be on form yet, but it's still a long way until the race start in April. Since he's the reigning champion of Milan-Sanremo he's likely to be swamped by other favourites. Also, most of his world famous lead-out train have gone to other teams, so his train might not be as strong as previous years. But it's still early days, so we'll have to see how the race plans out. Like I saw in Cycle Sport magazine: Milan-Sanremo - 290km of breakaways; 6km of racing.

I'm keen for a repeat of 2008. Cancellara's win was wicked!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
When this whole Cav hysterics stated he was building a lil' house and was holding on to his girlfriend that had seen him through from his bank teller days. Now he is Boonen in training. He will be caught with a bag of blow and come unprepared for a couple of seasons . He is riding around in a bus with Aldag and Zabel you think they could at least get him to brush his snags.I hope the press picks up on Wiggans silly hair cut, he looks like he could be playing keyboards for the Doors.I hope the UCI is testing for LSD

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
sacker said:
Cav may not quite be on form yet, but it's still a long way until the race start in April. Since he's the reigning champion of Milan-Sanremo he's likely to be swamped by other favourites. Also, most of his world famous lead-out train have gone to other teams, so his train might not be as strong as previous years. But it's still early days, so we'll have to see how the race plans out. Like I saw in Cycle Sport magazine: Milan-Sanremo - 290km of breakaways; 6km of racing.

I'm keen for a repeat of 2008. Cancellara's win was wicked!

MSR is in less than 3 weeks. Cav's had nowhere near the same preparation as last year and not enough time to ride into winning form. I guess he could be sand bagging like last year though....Agree with you on Cancellara's win, that was an awesome display of power.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
MSR is in less than 3 weeks. Cav's had nowhere near the same preparation as last year and not enough time to ride into winning form. I guess he could be sand bagging like last year though....Agree with you on Cancellara's win, that was an awesome display of power.

Whoops, sorry.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
I don't think Cav will win that much this year. He had a fantastic year last year, but it'll be tough to match it this year. Columbia's train might have a bit more competition, Cav might get injured, sick or something else. I agree with the OP about EBH, however. if he wanted to go for green, he would have a good shot at it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
have the changed the course putting the finish closer to the final climb?

EDIT: Haussler to finish what he started
No - same course as the last 2 years with the finish again on the seafront at Lungomare Italo Calvino in San Remo.

It was reported that the route had been shortened (IIRC) in December - however, Angelo Zomegnan issued this statementin January to clarify the "erroneous interpretations" .

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I think he'll win it again.. he didnt race much but there is stil time and the results now dont matter much.. I think he'll win again based on last year.. although I think petacchi will come very close.

Although finishing 2nd to bos isnt very good for him and renshaw probably still hasnt recovered fully yet and a good team mates have gone.... so maybe it wil not be as easy for him as I think :S

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
had a feeling that was the case, thought I read it somewhere but couldn't remember. Pity...I like when the sprinters are upstaged. Actually I like it when anyone except the expected rider/type of rider wins...sprinter winning a short TT, uphill sprint going to a climber, these sorts of things.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
what is cav racing before then? surely he will ride either T-A or paris-nice to gain form and fitness.

He is also a chance, but I'm not convinced he will make it over the climb this time. With enough effort surely the other teams can do enough to ruin his chances.

I'd like to haussler win, because I don't think he win in flanders (just got a feeling). Friere is another favorite for me.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Much as I'd like to see him win it again, I don't think it's likely. His training has clearly been disrupted, so he's a bit behind schedule. Plus, last year, the pace up the Cipressa and Poggio wasn't the most ferocious, I think it may be more so this year (although his climbing seems to be improving - see TdF st.19).

I think he may surprise people at Flanders though (not a win, but a strong performance).

I'm tipping Phil Gilbert in every monument he enters this year.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
what is cav racing before then? surely he will ride either T-A or paris-nice to gain form and fitness.

He is also a chance, but I'm not convinced he will make it over the climb this time. With enough effort surely the other teams can do enough to ruin his chances.

I'd like to haussler win, because I don't think he win in flanders (just got a feeling). Friere is another favorite for me.

He is riding Montepaschi Strade Bianche on Saturday and then Tirreno-Adriatico next week.
Yes, he needs to do a lot of work between now and MSR to regain his 2009 MSR form but he has improved over the last two weeks. The hilly stages in Tirreno-Adriatico will reveal a lot.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
The hilly stages in Tirreno-Adriatico will reveal a lot.

Did you see the Cycle Sport article about his race last year? I don't trust anything I see if he's targeting the race again this year.

Asked in February about his objectives for the spring, he pinpointed Ghent-Wevelgem as the one he wanted to win, dismissing Milan-San Remo as being too soon. He was going there to learn the race. "I said I wanted to win Milan-San Remo in my career, and I thought I probably could win it, but I wasn't sure if I could do it this year."

"It was all about making my rivals dismiss me as a big threat. If they thought I couldn't get to the finish, the race would go a certain way, and it would go a little bit in my favour."

Then came the cunning bit. "In Eroica, I made sure I got dropped with a few team-mates around me, and I made sure it was on TV. I knew people would look at it and say 'Well, he's not going to win Milan-San Remo climbing like that.'"
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/345088/mark-cavendish-exclusive-interview.html

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Did you see the Cycle Sport article about his race last year? I don't trust anything I see if he's targeting the race again this year.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/345088/mark-cavendish-exclusive-interview.html

Yes, I did see those comments before - but he is well off the form he had this time last year so he needs every hard Km in his legs if he wants to win.

Unless of course the whole dental thing is a ruse and he has been holding back in all his races so far this season ;)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Good question

The course is a bit too punishing on the typical stage race result sprinters. I think Cav's legs will blow even if he is fit and apparently he is not.

Everyone seems to be writing Boonen off but he has some legs earlier than thought

I like the kid Boasson Hagen, with Flecha, Lofkvist to front him all day. I might even side with Lofkvist this year

In fact Lofkvist is a dark horse in any race this season IMHO. I am just not sure how they intend to use him this year and what goals they have for him. After all this is an upper management goal oriented team we are learning.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
H The hilly stages in Tirreno-Adriatico will reveal a lot.
I think you're right... we will know far better how good he is this year after the tirreno .. I think now it's still a bit early to guess what form he will be in for th msr and the tirreno adriatico will very good preperation for everyone...

I hope petacchi will win it though and he might.. although did he crash recently and then lost a sprint after this I hope this hasnt affected him... will be an interesting race if boonen is there in good form and with a good leadout train I think he has a good chance.. maybe chichi too :S.... if its nt petacchi who wins I hope some guys get away and manage to stay away.. would be nice if cunego could win it.. no idea if he is even racing though but someone like that would be nice

TRENDING THREADS