• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish: Why is so difficult to like him?

successful Sprinters are always surrounded by that flamboyant personality, and can be either loved or hated. what I'm troubled with about Cavendish is that apart from his undeniable skills and hunger for success, he's currently difficult to be valued for what exactly he is- a racer- but rather we the fans are getting bothered by his immature attitude & arrogance. will time give to Cavendish the balance & wisdom required to be looked by the public in a different way? please opine

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I like him too. I didn't like his *** small minded public comments about Gripel, or his refusal to say he was sorry about a horrible crash that was at least in part his responsibility. But he does seem to have the ability to pull his head out of his @rse and see things from another person's perspective on occasion, and some of his interview comments can be quite insightful. He seems quite volatile and emotional, but I don't get the impression that overall he is such a bad guy.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Jealousy. Envy. Insecurity. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those would be the top three for not liking someone you've never met - and who does you no harm.

He says a lot of stupid and not acceptable things.
I think in the last 6 months he insulted nearly everyone: His Teammate, Journalists, cyclingfans, other riders... (he nearly wanted to verbally kill them because of nothing)

He should concentrate on his great skills and he should accept some critical statements about him.
I don't know what's up with him, but I hope this win today helps him to get normal...

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
The idea that all sprinters are arrogant jerks is wrong.

I agree, that accusation probably only applies to about 95% of them! Well at least the arrogant part anyway.

I actually like Cav. Yeah he is brash, arrogant at times and should keep his mouth shut sometimes until his brain is in gear, but hey the guy delivers and always gives full credit to his team.

This morning he had a great ride and showed that in a straight drag race he is pretty much untouchable. Yesterday he blew it, reacting far too late to Pettachi when he went and he took that on the chin this morning in his interview. He was pretty emotional this morning but rather than view that as him being a pussy I see it as a great sign of his real passion for racing and winning and just as importantly for paying back his teammates for doing the job for him.

Some guys were commenting that he had a long way to go to match Pettachi and others, but at 25 years old what had they done? Not win ten TdF stages thats for sure.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
people said they wanted to see a different Cavendish. And frankly you are getting a different one this Tour. We get a completely different Cavendish to the one in the team bus. You don't get an entire team riding for you like they did today unless they like you and want to ride for you.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
cavendish is a damn ***. he literally knocked soler form his bike in giro 2008 which caused him tendinitis for no reason. I will always hate this little frustrated *******. in many ways he reminds me of sneijder. when everything goes well for him he seems fine but he has a different side about him that you don't want to find out. both are also very insecure. just look at how they behave like slaves to their girlfriends

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The reality is we get a different external Cav every day, but his reaction today has endeared me to him, we saw what's really going on inside today, he wants to perform in this race that I'm intoxicated as much as I want drama in this same race.
He wants it so much, he wants to please, he's the ultimate border collie, looking for approval, I also now have complete confidence in his cleanliness, his ability to get dropped on a railway bridge could be avoided easily if he chose so, the guys a major talent in our sport, some serious entertainment, even better now we don't know whether or not he's going to win, I think I'm almost becoming a fan now, yes, I am.
I admit it, I'm now a Cav fan, yesterday I thought he was spoilt chav. This is the Tour, and this is what it does, hero's broken, hero's made.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
The idea that all sprinters are arrogant jerks is wrong.

mmmmm That's true but not the WHOLE bunch is like that... besides all the *** that Cav says always he is a great rider... but it's being time to grow up and be a man... you can go for the life attacking the peloton riders cuz that will cost you at the end...

Ryo Hazuki said:
cavendish is a damn ***. he literally knocked soler form his bike in giro 2008 which caused him tendinitis for no reason. I will always hate this little frustrated *******. in many ways he reminds me of sneijder. when everything goes well for him he seems fine but he has a different side about him that you don't want to find out. both are also very insecure. just look at how they behave like slaves to their girlfriends

How is this a negative quality?

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The Fastest Man in The Pro.Peloton

Let us,for the moment,leave opinion and concentrate on Fact.
Mark Cavendish is a phenomenal sprinter.
" " " " " " " is a very young man whose current fame has come very quickly and dealing with it has proved difficult.
Like a lot of young men,should things not go his way,he is inclined to throw Teddy out of the pram.
Journalists,paparazzi,the fans,Public in general have long memories and when their efforts to do their jobs are met with rudeness from rude young men they remember.
I am 71 y.o.a., have been round the block a few times and the following,which Ive said before, I hold to be true."I'ts a very short trip from the Penthouse to the S--thouse." Take heed Mark.There are many facets to being a Pro apart from being the fastest man in the pro.Peloton.

Buster said:
Let us,for the moment,leave opinion and concentrate on Fact.
Mark Cavendish is a phenomenal sprinter.
" " " " " " " is a very young man whose current fame has come very quickly and dealing with it has proved difficult.
Like a lot of young men,should things not go his way,he is inclined to throw Teddy out of the pram.
Journalists,paparazzi,the fans,Public in general have long memories and when their efforts to do their jobs are met with rudeness from rude young men they remember.
I am 71 y.o.a., have been round the block a few times and the following,which Ive said before, I hold to be true."I'ts a very short trip from the Penthouse to the S--thouse." Take heed Mark.There are many facets to being a Pro apart from being the fastest man in the pro.Peloton.

Sage words Buster. Respect there old guy:)

euanli said:
people said they wanted to see a different Cavendish. And frankly you are getting a different one this Tour. We get a completely different Cavendish to the one in the team bus. You don't get an entire team riding for you like they did today unless they like you and want to ride for you.

Probably, maybe, but it is their job at the end of the day and pays the wages. Renshaw in particular I'm sure loves Cav for that reason.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cav's one of those guys who wears his emotions on his sleeve. He seems very passionate about what he does. He needs to learn to filter some of what he says to others and to the press. Putting down a competitor or talking like you're unbeatable will cause you to lose fans quickly. No one likes a sore winner.

I thought he grew up a little the other day when Pettachi beat him and he said he thought Pettachi had done a fine sprint. Hopefully we see more of this.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Sneijder's girlfriend was the Giro d'Italia' s official 'babe'. I'd be quite happy to be her slave for a bit.

Most world class sportsmen have great swings in emotion and confidence. Scratch the surface and you'll usually find some sort of personality defect. Some just hide it better than others.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
cav here: crybaby douchebag of the peloton. Why is the whole world is against me :(

brb. think i saw haussler on a comeback... better push him over again LOL

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt and genuinely tried to like him until the spitting incident with Haussler. Until he learns to control his anger I would rather see him lose.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:
Ask Johnny Bellis if he is a douche.

+about a thousand and one. I'm going to get on my high horse, and to be fair it's not just this forum that has made me feel this way. There is a lot of cliques within cycling, both between fans and also within the peleton. Cervelo would make you believe cav is hell bent on knocking people off their bike. There are numerous (80%+) on here who just love to slag cav off. Your just the same as football fans, I fell in love with cycling because it was the complete opposite to football, and cav is a person who is that-a person. He basically gave up half if his winter(as well as the tooth op)to look after a friend who pretty much had died- but thank god is now back racing. The pressure he is under from the (****) British press who know nothing of cycling but expect him to win is obscene. Yet you lot think your above genuine characters who make our sport what it is, you should all ve ashamed of yourselves. The emotion cav showed today was genuine, and it is what you or I would show

TRENDING THREADS