• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish's teeth? Could it be mandible growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I hope your being sarcastic.

If not well,

Why is everyone with a facial problem or a big jaw line etc. seen as a being on HGH

Because Acromegaly is a documented, certifiable side effect of hGH abuse. Which Cav may, or may not have been using, depending on who you ask

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
why exactly?

It is not an uncommon stereotype for people from the UK to have bad teeth. I don't, I'm sure you don't, but it is not as if braces are as prevalent or seen as necessary as in the State

The root (canal) of the problem is probably not his Britishness

Big GMaC said:
It is not an uncommon stereotype for people from the UK to have bad teeth. I don't, I'm sure you don't, but it is not as if braces are as prevalent or seen as necessary as in the State

Hmm, I've heard that one before but I'm not sure if it applies "commonly" to 64 million (or whatever it is these days). I'm English, I brush twice a day with one of those buzzy Oral-B things and I have 20:20 gnashers, or so me Mam says.

Anyway, I reckon Cav's a bruxist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism). It's a professional requirement in cycling to grit one's teeth, isn't it? Anyone who saw the flying trashcan in last weekend's Kuurne Brussel Kuurne would agree. :D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
thats just how he looks. not saying he does not dope but you really have to overdo it with hgh overtime to get the undesirable bone growth and digestive tract enlargement. smaller recovery doses should not do that if dosage is under control.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
no but his teeth are a bit too British for Sky

Glenn Roeder approves this thread.

_39124415_smiles_gi300x245.jpg

Epoché

BANNED
Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised the pros don't have more teeth problems. They're sucking on energy drinks and gels all day. It's the worst possible scenario.

I'm also surprised the thread hasn't turned into a big joke about British teeth. ;)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
You know when I first saw the title of this thread, I expected somebody to jokingly say that Cav's dental work would be performancing enhancing because he will have less drag in his sprints. :D

I hope the original post wasn't serious in its guarantee that Cav's dental problems are a side effect of HGH or steroid use.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Epoché said:
I'm surprised the pros don't have more teeth problems. They're sucking on energy drinks and gels all day. It's the worst possible scenario.

I'm also surprised the thread hasn't turned into a big joke about British teeth. ;)
I read years ago that British people were encouraged to od on calcium (free milk at school etc) and this had led to us having teeth that were too big for our jaw bones. Not sure how scientific this was.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
from one of those links posted

Robin Parisotto:
Any 20 or 30-something athletes with dental braces should refrain from smiling! It’s a dead giveaway. For those that ‘stack’ hGH with Insulin, athletes found with extra jelly beans in their possession will be under suspicion!

and from the other post
The scam of the last 20 years has fooled almost everyone. For those who cheat and thought it would help build muscle strength and power, many of them got nothing more than diabetes, dicky hearts and suspicious bone growth especially around the jaw and skull. Dental braces in adult athletes have been a dead giveaway.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...ormone+teeth+doping&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

6. Human growth hormone

Doping athletes use human growth hormone (HGH), also known as somatotropin, for two main reasons:

to increase muscle mass
to increase physical endurance by increasing the ability to withstand fatigue
HGH can be taken orally or injected.

The main undesirable effects of human growth hormone are long-bone growth (enlarged feet, deformities), lengthening of the jawbone (with resulting loosening of the teeth), osteoarthritis, impaired thyroid function, cardiovascular disorders (heart disease, hypertension, strokes), psychological problems (irritability, mood swings, depression, psychosis), and risks of diabetes and cancers.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
It's possible, but I don't know that I'd say it's likely.
Cav isn't really that big a guy, I wouldn't say otherwise that it looks like he has been bulking up. Some sprinters are big, others are just fast. Robbie Mac, as a case in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS