• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavs lead out train at Worlds

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Hammond is a good shout, but I'd take Millar over Hunt any day.

True, true. Cav needs two good guys who can get him over those climbs and make sure he stays with the bunch, like George Hincapie did at Milan San Remo 2009. I think that if Cav arrives with the bunch, he will win. He knows how to find a wheel and go at the right moment. Go Cav! :cool:

Jamsque said:
I agree that if Cav is there in the finale then it won't matter whether he has a lead-out or not, but after seeing videos of the course I'm really not sure he will be. He's going to have to be on really top form to get over those climbs without losing contact with the bunch, and since he has no team he'll have to just hope that other countries chase down the attacks that are sure to come.

Good point.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and know who from the Brit pack Cav wants. I think Millar will be one (not saying he is a Cav choice but probably cos of the distance). I think Millar would like the race as prep for the Commonwealth's RR.

How hard are these climbs compared with, say, Poggio, or that one Cav got over for the TDF stage to Aubenas last year? On his day he is as capable as any of the other sprinters at getting over the climbs but are these ones really selective enough to whittle it down to the Ardennes types like Gilbert, Cunego etc?

Its bad news for Cav that he's only got two teammates but the good news it that GB has a number of guys who are suitable for the job. Millar is probably as good a domestique as you could find in the world these days and adding someone who can also climb a little bit like Thomas would be the best Cavendish can hope for. He doesn't need a train per se but any two of Millar, Thomas, Hunt and Hammond are experienced and quick enough to handle themselves in the last couple of km provided they can get there.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
True, true. Cav needs two good guys who can get him over those climbs and make sure he stays with the bunch, like George Hincapie did at Milan San Remo 2009. I think that if Cav arrives with the bunch, he will win. He knows how to find a wheel and go at the right moment. Go Cav! :cool:

Staying close to a rider such as Michael Rogers may prove to be a good idea.
And maybe an alliance between Britain, Norway, New Zealand could be beneficial because they probably all want a bunch gallop for the sprinters.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
No lead out train for Cav! those two poor guys are going to blow up way before the last kilometer because of all the relentless attacks!!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I'm with you. If Cav shows up, my money's on him. Although he has not had to much, he has gotten some wins without leadouts, much like pocket-rocket Robbie McEwen who was always great at finding the right wheel and using his huge acceleration to get by everyone.

Cav has never managed to win the British Championship on his own, what makes you think he can win the worlds.

TRENDING THREADS