• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav's Sprint speed on Champs??

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
That's quite fast. That's almost as fast as the 75 that Cipollini and Petacchi were regularly clocked in at, at the Giro (downhill finishes not accounted for)

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
That's quite fast. That's almost as fast as the 75 that Cipollini and Petacchi were regularly clocked in at, at the Giro (downhill finishes not accounted for)

Lol don't even go there! Cav would have smoked those two even in their prime.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bagster said:
Lol don't even go there! Cav would have smoked those two even in their prime.

If you say so, it must be true, regardless of your post's lack of factual argumentation.

What are today's lottery numbers?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
When I followed individual riders Cipollini was one of my all time favourites - however I do think Cav has a faster straight line speed over the final 200m imo.

Also it is worth noting that the Champs Elysée finish is slightly uphill from the turn at the Place de La Concorde and that there is a rough surface - not quite cobbled but certainly not smooth - all the way to the line.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
danyela said:
Did you see how fast Renshaw lead around that last corner? Even Cav admitted he was sh*tting himself!

+1
I think what also gave cav the advantage was that garmin overshot the corner and that gave renshaw and cav the huge advantage. I personally also think that with Mc Ewan + Pettachi not being there and guys like Boonen and Friere not being in great form showed that Cav didn't have much competition. Nobody should right off Mcewan as last year he had nobody to support him. He was a fair way back so he didn't really have a chance to challenge Cavendish.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Talking about speed, we need to get Usain Bolt on a bike. Then he'll be doing 70mph down the Elysee :D

Meanwhile, what a dominant victory by Columbia and Cav (Hincapie burying himself, then Renshaw, and then no one even in the same picture frame as Cav).