• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav's whining

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Allthough you can think whatever you want of the disqualification of Cav (right or wrong? - dont wanna discuss that here), doesn't anyone else than me think he is abit over-the-top whiney? Seems like he can't handle not winning the green jersey.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-green-jersey-has-a-stain

Suck it up and keep riding!

I also think it's wierd he directs all his firepower at Hushovd, when it was actually the jury that disqualified him. Are we really to believe Cav wouldnt take any possibility HE could have to get an edge on the green jersey. Seems a bit off-target to fire at your opponent, rather than the jury, when you are disqualified.

Also, I've read several places that Cav was disqualified BEFORE the protest was handed in from Cervelo (In other words - the jury disqualified him on their own initiative). Can anyone confirm / deny this?

Personally i hope Hushovd wins the jersey by more than 13 points, to put this "stain-on-jersey" - BS to sleep. Cav is obviously the better flat sprinter, but to me he gives the impression of beeing a 13 year old with an ego thats outgrown him (even though he most of the time DOES have the legs to back that kind of ego, i still think he in the end comes out as a bad sportsman).

That is my main thought, why all the fury at Hushovd. I guarantee every sprinting stage, someone places an appeal, but we don't hear about it because they mostly get denied. I have yet to read that Hushovd himself filed an appeal, just that he was angry at the line. If that is the case, its called the heat of the moment. Cavs brash comments are refreshing to hear someone speak his mind, just sometimes he tends to continue on for days on an issue.

From this site: http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Very biased wording, but the confirmation is here

Then there is Cav, who is busy slagging off Hushovd with all kinds of nasty comments like "I hope Thor can sleep at night." I guess Cav blames him for the fact that he was relegated, which is a bit dumb since according to chief referee Martin Bruin, the decision to relegate Cav had already been made before the jury even received official notice of the Cervelo team's protest. But really, it must all just be Thor's fault, like Hincapie missing the jersey is all Garmin's fault. Columbia have a talent for placing blame, as long as it is not on their own shoulders. Maybe Stapleton, in all his management expertise, should remind his charges and himself that sometimes the person to blame isn't always someone, anyone, else.

Cavendish seems incredibly childish in everything he says. I'd maybe cut him some slack at this stage because he is still pretty young but he really does come across as being about as unlikable as a person can be.

Perhaps someone needs to do a Theo Bos on him.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hay anyone seen the footage of Juryforman Martin Bruin being cornered by the whole Columbia gang? Brian Holm, Rolf Aldag and Bob Stapleton stand around the guy almost shouting to him, saying that he knows he made a mistake, "Cav didn't do anything wrong, he knows it, they know it, even Thor knows it and if he can't se that he doesn't know anything about pro cycling!". Really heated discussion from Columbias team of directors(they're the only ones talking). And this was on the morning before the Bernard stage. They just can't let go yet. Seriously immature behaviour. Maybe I could understand it if it was right after the stage, but this was 3 days later, and not a "heat of the moment" thing at all.

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
So you're whining about Cav's whining?

Uh, OK. Yup. Got it.....

Glass houses, stones, throwing, etc.
crazy.gif

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
frameforum said:
So you're whining about Cav's whining?

Uh, OK. Yup. Got it.....

Glass houses, stones, throwing, etc.
crazy.gif

Hehe, funny point actually. Even thought I wouldnt go so far as to call my post "whining" :rolleyes:

The difference - however - is that i think Cav (and Colombia, ref above poster) - should focus on the race, this is a part of it. Get over it! As to me - on the other hand - im a spectator and have nothing else to do than have an opinion (or whine - whatever perspective you have).

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
Trond Vidar said:
From this site: http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Very biased wording, but the confirmation is here

That's not confirmation, that's anonymous opinion on a fansite.

Normally, 'confirmation' comes after direct questioning of the person or organization involved in the decision. For example :::

"Dear Mr Bruin. When did you make your decision? Was it before or after Cervelo lodged their complaint?"

When someone asks this question (they have) and Bruin gives his response (he did) then quote that source, not the waste of bandwidth you've pointed to.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
frameforum said:
Oh well then, it MUST be true. It says so on some waste-of-space blog....

Not to put more fuel on the fire, but that waste-of-space blog merely references to actuall incidents, or would you indicate those are made up?

Bottom line is the man has alot of my respect for his sprinting, but he looses that respect tenfold with his behaviour. Either give the man a public relations - course, or keep him shielded enough so we cant hear him speak (speak, whine, whatever you would call the words coming out:cool:)

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
TdF commentator Paasche from TV2 (Norwegian TV channel) said he spoke to Martin B. and was told that Cav was relegated before they received a complaint from Cervelo.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish should know better than to lash out at Hushovd. If he disagrees with the jury's decision, he might have a point when complaining about the jury, even though it wouldn't help him.

A pity; when Cavendish won the Scheldeprijs, he seemed like a nice guy, but his behaviour has made me care little about him.

A

Anonymous

Isnt it interesting when we start judging riders abilities on their personalities.. :D

that said.. Thor is a whining miserable ****

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
fairplay said:
TdF commentator Paasche from TV2 (Norwegian TV channel) said he spoke to Martin B. and was told that Cav was relegated before they received a complaint from Cervelo.

Hushovd have also stated this. The decision was made within the first ten minutes after the finish, cervelo could not have the time to make the complaint . It was the jury's decision, and it's childish of Cav to react in this manner.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Isnt it interesting when we start judging riders abilities on their personalities.. :D

Why not judge a cyclist based on his personality? I would not have cheered for Cipollini if he'd had a different personality. I like Kenny van Hummel because of his personality. I like the fact that Armstrong is losing because of Armstrong's personality.

You're a bit off; Thor hasn't whined, he just thought he was being slighted and his team protested to the jury. Obviously, they had a point, because the jury agreed. Again: if there is injustice here, it's the jury's responsibility, not Hushovd's.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
He even admitted yesterday it was a fair sprint

Hus has said that?

No. Hushovd has always stated that the sprint was not fair game.

He has several times said something like this "He's faster than me, that's ok, but fighting dirty like that? That motivates me even more. They're gonna have to fight for every point."

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Why not judge a cyclist based on his personality? I would not have cheered for Cipollini if he'd had a different personality. I like Kenny van Hummel because of his personality. I like the fact that Armstrong is losing because of Armstrong's personality.

You're a bit off; Thor hasn't whined, he just thought he was being slighted and his team protested to the jury. Obviously, they had a point, because the jury agreed. Again: if there is injustice here, it's the jury's responsibility, not Hushovd's.

Excellent points here!! Cav is a real ***. I'm not sure who said (in earlier post) that he was still a kid.. when do you stop being a kid? He is what 24-24 years old? I had a child when I was 24 and my 12 year old son thinks Cav is a baby. What does that say? He is an adult period, and his behavior is really bad. I recently met a woman from the Isle of Man who has some family connection with Cav's family and she said he has always behaved this way...he will not change. Oh and by the way, why does he care anyway? The Green was never his goal right?

I have to say I was definitely a fan of Cavendish, he did shout his mouth of a bit but was alwalys gracious towards his team-mates and not totally egotisitcal like Cipo. However, his remarks about this incident have changed my mind on Cav, the Eurosport guys went over this incident again recently and showed in slow motion where Cav was in the wrong.

For me, if Cav had sprinted normally, there would have been no problem, Columbia wanted the cake and all so deserved what they got. I dont know if the decision was made before Cervelo complained or not but really Cav needs to shut up and his team also, I too was a great admirer of Columbia but likewise, my attitude on them has changed also.

Finally, I hate people who say we shouldnt criticise because we cant do what the pros do whether it be Cavendish or Lance or whoever. WTF, we are fans, this is a forum for fans to express their opinions on cycling including those who compete in pro cycling. We are not getting paid big money to do a sport. Does that mean if I am a banker or some other overpaid muppet, nobody who is not a banker or whatever cannot criticise me. Get a life.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Haha. I've seen about 15 interviews with Cav and Columbia whining the last days, not a single one with Hushovd. :p But the british sees just what they want to seen apparently.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Wergeland said:
He has several times said something like this "He's faster than me, that's ok, but fighting dirty like that? That motivates me even more. They're gonna have to fight for every point."

Which is exactly what Thor did today during Stage 17. Beautiful!!