• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CBS Sports' Freeman editorial on Landis

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/st...-be-cyclings-jose-canseco?tag=headlines;other

Freeman is mainly an American Football writer; the fact that he is even writing about cycling (and that CBS is even covering it) shows how big a deal this is. He makes a good parallel between Floyd and Jose Canseco.

Note that Freeman is deliberately inflammatory, that is just his style.

I notice Wetzel already referred to Landis as a 'rat'.

I'm kinda amazed that sort of language is tolerated. In both accounts, it's ambiguous whether the whistle blower is morally justified to step forward, as supposedly the 'code' should take precedence.

Freeman pretty much tells it like it is, though, so thumbs up.

ludwig said:
I notice Wetzel already referred to Landis as a 'rat'.

I'm kinda amazed that sort of language is tolerated. In both accounts, it's ambiguous whether the whistle blower is morally justified to step forward, as supposedly the 'code' should take precedence.

Freeman pretty much tells it like it is, though, so thumbs up.

I think the choice of language is meant to emphacize the moral ambiguity of the situation. Here we have a questionable man who's lied in the past exposing dirty secrets about a dirty sport and its dirty participants.

Also the "rat" label is evocative of the mafia which is also an apt comparison to the current state of pro cycling.

TRENDING THREADS