• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CCN relevations !

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

It would only when you ignore the context - DB was specific about the correspondence of the last 48 hours, (which has nothing to do with USADA)
way too ambiguously formulated, but ok.

In the McQuaid quote DB says: "But McQuaid is at least right in language if not sentiment..." So he pointed out the hypocrisy.
ok, thanks for pointing this out. i had erroneously taken "if not sentiment" to mean "as well as in sentiment".

If you want to discuss his piece take it any one of the 'media' threads - this is meant to be a thread about the UCI incompetence (yet again) and showing the Bio Passport is a fig leaf
you and i knew that already, yet there are at least two self-proclaimed anti-doping frontrunners trying to tell us otherwise.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
It would only when you ignore the context - DB was specific about the correspondence of the last 48 hours, (which has nothing to do with USADA)

In the McQuaid quote DB says: "But McQuaid is at least right in language if not sentiment..." So he pointed out the hypocrisy.

If you want to discuss his piece take it any one of the 'media' threads - this is meant to be a thread about the UCI incompetence (yet again) and showing the Bio Passport is a fig leaf.

Re:1) That correspondence may not include USADA but it does WADA, so the accusation is correct in that regard. Benson makes his attitude regarding USADA and Tygart perfectly clear in his sneering reference to "surfing on a wave of his own brilliance from TV studio to studio". So that's both of those bodies given short shrift by Mr Benson. Great! Just what's needed :rolleyes:

Re: 2) Benson should not be making even mildly positive noises about McQuaid's utterances thank you very much. That comment of his is definitely capable of being misunderstood IMO (please, no comments on a reader's intelligence for taking it that way :))

skippy said:

Very interesting.

When the Biopassport was launched, there was a reduction in conventional doping tests. The statistics were available, and this was much discussed on forums at the time.

The explanation was 'budget'. The truth, however, is that at that time only regular doping tests could lead to sanctions (there have since been only five riders found guilty of doping based solely on abnormalities in their BP data).

Thus, the Biopassport launch was the causal factor that directly reduced those tests that could actually lead to doping sanctions.

Add to that, as outlined in the WADA Observers Report, that targeted cyclists were not pursued for follow up/confirmation tests and that tests for EPO were not conducted.

The Biopassport has long appeared to have been a complete ruse, and now we find that there were odd and unexplained gaps in Biopassport testing.

Surprise? No.

Dave.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Grandillusion said:
Re:1) That correspondence may not include USADA but it does WADA, so the accusation is correct in that regard. Benson makes his attitude regarding USADA and Tygart perfectly clear in his sneering reference to "surfing on a wave of his own brilliance from TV studio to studio". So that's both of those bodies given short shrift by Mr Benson. Great! Just what's needed :rolleyes:
Fair enough, you see that as 'sneering' - I see that as a compliment.

Grandillusion said:
Re: 2) Benson should not be making even mildly positive noises about McQuaid's utterances thank you very much. That comment of his is definitely capable of being misunderstood IMO (please, no comments on a reader's intelligence for taking it that way :))
The McQuaid quote is an accurate reflection - problem is it came from McQuaid. Which is what DB referred to by 'sentiment'.

fast moving situation

coinneach said:
Thanks Skippy....I'm not a great believer in on'line petitions, but I;ve written to Cookson too.....I think Friday is his Hamlet moment: if he doesn't act now, he'll regret it for the rest of hislife (and will loose all credability in my eyes)

I hate to do a Hog, and quote my own post, but I have had a reply from his PA:
"
This is a fast-evolving situation and a number of key negotiations are underway to ensure that these difficult issues can be navigated in the most appropriate way for the long-term good of the sport.

Brian has reaffirmed his commitment to ensuring that cycling can be practised at every level without recourse to doping, and he is committed to ensuring that the sport is governed equitably and transparently, both nationally and internationally."

Am I wrong in reading too much into this and see a glimmer of hope???

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Fair enough, you see that as 'sneering' - I see that as a compliment.

The McQuaid quote is an accurate reflection - problem is it came from McQuaid. Which is what DB referred to by 'sentiment'.

Hmmm, doesn't sound very complimentary to me Dr. And yes, the problem most definitely is that it came from McQuaid, and choosing to reference it in this ambiguous way was unhelpful at the least. IMO.

Anyway, off-topic so back to the Bio-passport.

coinneach said:
I hate to do a Hog, and quote my own post, but I have had a reply from his PA:
<snip>
Am I wrong in reading too much into this and see a glimmer of hope???

Probably. It's one thing to be in his current position. It's another to make changes that clean up the sport and anger the people making some money inside the sport at the elite level.

DirtyWorks said:
Probably. It's one thing to be in his current position. It's another to make changes that clean up the sport and anger the people making some money inside the sport at the elite level.

I'm sure McDruggen would be overjoyed with a seriously contracted sport, so long as it remained in control of the UCI.

Maybe the riders will start to get the message when their salaries go down . . .. HA! Who am I kidding? The sheep will take their reduced salaries--AND THEY'LL LIKE IT! :D

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
My reply from Brian Cookson was prefaced with :

Thank you for your email. Your comments have been passed to Brian Cookson and the concerns have been noted and understood.

The remainder was similar to " Coinneach's"!

Guess this will be the reply to the other 2 or 3 that make an effort !

Seems that comments are easy , DOING SOMETHING REAL , is too much like WORK !
Why do something , when you can pass the buck ?

Cyclocosm gave me the chance to do a summary of the Various Stakeholders efforts .

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
what exactly does "old" riders mean?

My French isn't 100% perfect, so I would be grateful for comments from native French speakers:

The document from CCN translates "'anciens' coureurs" as "'older' riders"
However, my understanding is that 'ancien' changes meaning depending on whether it is before or after the noun:
"coureurs anciens" would indeed mean something like "old riders"
However,
"anciens coureurs" (as in the document) would mean "ex-riders".
Maybe I'm wrong. Also, it's possible that Swiss French differs from 'French French'. Anyone better informed than I am?

Square-pedaller said:
My French isn't 100% perfect, so I would be grateful for comments from native French speakers:

The document from CCN translates "'anciens' coureurs" as "'older' riders"
However, my understanding is that 'ancien' changes meaning depending on whether it is before or after the noun:
"coureurs anciens" would indeed mean something like "old riders"
However,
"anciens coureurs" (as in the document) would mean "ex-riders".
Maybe I'm wrong. Also, it's possible that Swiss French differs from 'French French'. Anyone better informed than I am?

Why would anyone spend money on testing ex-riders in the first place?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
You're right, Square-pedaller, "anciens coureurs" would be "former riders". If they wanted to say "older" they probably wouldn't use "ancien" at all, before or after the noun, but go with something like "coureurs plus agés".

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Kimmage comments on CCN: “Then we came out with the press conference and it just went t1ts up.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kimmage-angered-by-cycling-irelands-support-for-mcquaid

"We had that press conference and we spent two days in London. I assure you everyone in that room wanted the same thing. They wanted what was best for the sport. it was so good, it was so good what happened in that room for two days with so many positive things that went on. Then we came out with the press conference and it just went tits up."

"What needed to happen then was that we needed to say, the press conference had been a disaster but we needed to have another meeting the next week, and the next week, and the next week. There needed to be a momentum but there was no structure and from that moment, that was it. It was going to be disaster, with everyone going off half-cocked in a million different directions. It hasn't worked, it's been a lot of hot air. It's been frustrating that it hasn't work. I'm being very defeatist but I can''t help the way I feel. McQuaid is back in now and no one will stand against him. it's all going to happen again, and again, with no accountability. No one [in authority] paid the price for Festina, no one will pay the price for Armstrong."