• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CDA - AERODYNAMICS - DRAG: influence of motorbikes, bike position etc

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Drones at CX races (and MTB):
Those I've seen have, apart from pre-race course previews, been cable cams rather than drones - i.e. cameras suspended on a system of overhead cables, cable car fashion. The give away is that you get the same moving overhead shots every lap, and occasionally you can see the shadows of the system..
Today you could hear the drones during the actual race.

Found this tweet from professor Blocken:

View: https://twitter.com/realbertblocken/status/1338384609466339330

For those who wish to read in depth reports:

http://www.urbanphysics.net/JBME_TD_BB_EK_PH_PV_BN_JC_4_Cyclists___Preprint.pdf

Last edited:
Nice collection of papers. However i find the drag reduction stated are probably too high. In the paper itself it is agreed that the spread of the drag reduction claimed by various citations is high. Look at the 90% of reduction for the peloton. Imaging a peloton bus. Hire a couple of pro riders as drivers at the front of the bus to drive at 400 w@ 50 kph. In the middle a person only has to spend 10% rolling friction and 10% due to drag which is equal to 80 w. All of these are not reflected in real life but the numbers can be taken in relative context though. For example if a team is leading at the front, then the team leader should be at 4th position or futher back to save energy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
According to that figure from Prof Blocken a moto 20m and 10m ahead of the rider produces more drag reduction than a car at similar distance. It's weird that measurements and simulations for these two types of vehicles have not been done for the same distances.

Nice collection of papers. However i find the drag reduction stated are probably too high. In the paper itself it is agreed that the spread of the drag reduction claimed by various citations is high. Look at the 90% of reduction for the peloton. Imaging a peloton bus. Hire a couple of pro riders as drivers at the front of the bus to drive at 400 w@ 50 kph. In the middle a person only has to spend 10% rolling friction and 10% due to drag which is equal to 80 w. All of these are not reflected in real life but the numbers can be taken in relative context though. For example if a team is leading at the front, then the team leader should be at 4th position or futher back to save energy.
It's all in a best case scenario. No wind interference, no moving up/down in the peloton, no fighting for position before a hill or a sharp turn, no closing a gap due to road furniture...

According to that figure from Prof Blocken a moto 20m and 10m ahead of the rider produces more drag reduction than a car at similar distance. It's weird that measurements and simulations for these two types of vehicles have not been done for the same distances.
I also noticed that and wonder. Supposedly the car has more impact than the motorbike at shorter distance, but less at longer distance, if i'm reading this correctly.

PS: in light of the discussion regarding replacing camera motorbikes with drones...

UCI has allowed drones to be used but the organizer simply has to have permits and documents in order. As i said earlier, cyclocross, mountainbike, TT's etc could be testing grounds.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0WBD0Acj0&t=105s
I think drones were being used in the algarve TT, though the footage from it wasn't as great or clear as what we saw in the Superprestige Gavere.

Last edited:
Drones are being used in CX more and more, and now it looks like F1 is warming up to the idea. Let's hope this technology keeps making strides so that we can see drones completely replace camerabikes in cycling before i die. Obviously it's easier to implement this on a closed circuit like CX and F1, but it is a way to test and improve equipment and gain crucial experience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k