• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Centro Mapei - Aldo Sassi

May 5, 2009
Visit site
So what is it really about the new high priest of clean cycling?
Is it really training plans? I mean, the Mapei brand in cycling has never been particularly clean... if you know what I mean...
Seems that a decent number of high profile riders is getting advice and is being coached by Sassi. Not just Basso, Cadel, Cunego and Riccò.
In the gazzetta dello sport they even start training programs for cylcotourists to prepare for the RVV-cyclotouriste...

more substance appreciated!

:p

[edit in response to comment by downhilltothegrill]: any interesting or valuable facts and information what's going on in the Centro Mapei or why they are all running to Sassi would be welcome. I'm just curious! Thanks!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
Is it really training plans? I mean, the Mapei brand in cycling has never been particularly clean... if you know what I mean...
Seems that a decent number of high profile riders is getting advice and is being coached by Sassi. Not just Basso, Cadel, Cunego and Riccò.
In the gazzetta dello sport they even start training programs for cylcotourists to prepare for the RVV-cyclotouriste...

[edit in response to comment by downhilltothegrill]: any interesting or valuable facts and information what's going on in the Centro Mapei or why they are all running to Sassi would be welcome. I'm just curious! Thanks!
While there is little doubt that Mapei was not a clean team, this went against what owner Giorgio Squinzi wanted, which is why he pulled out of the sport when Garzelli went positive.

He set up the centre so that athletes would go there as opposed to using their own Doctors.

I have not heard anything good or bad about the centre except that Sassi is looked at as anti-doping.

For those who are upset that Riis the unrepentant doper has become such a powerful figure in pro cycling, they should be pulling their hair out that this clown Sassi is allowed to train riders.

He was there helping administer Francesco Mosers' blood doping program back in the '80s during his Hour record attempts.

These trainers do not suddenly find religion and their methods never change.

But here he is at the Mapei Center training some top pros and everything is cool. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I used to visit the website they have set up for Basso. You have to register, but you can see the results of all of his tests and things. For instance, you could access all of his SRM data from the 2009 Giro. If you go to the La Gazzetta dello Sport website, he has a regular feature where he's publicly training a fifty year old guy to ride the amateur Tour Of Flanders event. He posts the three or four workouts a week, describes the goals, and evaluates what the guy actually does.

Berzin said:
For those who are upset that Riis the unrepentant doper has become such a powerful figure in pro cycling, they should be pulling their hair out that this clown Sassi is allowed to train riders.

He was there helping administer Francesco Mosers' blood doping program back in the '80s during his Hour record attempts.

These trainers do not suddenly find religion and their methods never change.

But here he is at the Mapei Center training some top pros and everything is cool. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He's no Ferrari.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:

Cunego is not one of sassi's clients but becausehe will be riding with lampre next year, he will get to use mapei's facilities.
euanli said:
Add Rogers and Frei to his client list as well.

Thomas frei? Link?

It won't matter anymore anyway because Sassi has little time to live but the guy seems to be very much for anti doping. He's one fo very few people to come out admit that he was apart of doping riders but in those times doping was a requirement supposedly. For a guy who was very ill to come half way across the world to speak out about doping at alittle doping conference says a lot about the man. People who have admitted that they have done wrong do deserve a 2nd chance.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, the internet tells me that Team Sassi is currently:

Ivan Basso
Cadel Evans
Dario Cioni
Cameron Wurf
Kjell Carlström
Charlie Wegelius
Eros Capecchi
Michael Rogers

Ricco and Cunego appear to be the new signings for 2011.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
auscyclefan94 said:
Cunego is not one of sassi's clients but becausehe will be riding with lampre next year, he will get to use mapei's facilities.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cunego-to-focus-on-the-classics-in-2011

euanli said:
He might not be directly working with Sassi but he is certainly been at the Mapei Centre and talking about training there. Also mentioned meeting with Rogers and Ricco.

http://twitter.com/thomasfrei - check the most recent tweets

And have a look at the picture he had posted http://plixi.com/p/56074180
interesting but using the fascilities is different to being trained by sassi. Lampre is using the fascilities of the mapei centre but they are not being trained by sassi.