• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cervelo Questions

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I am looking at getting a new bike and have been looking at the Cervelo SLC-SL and the new S3. I've read that the new S3 is a little heavier, has a better ride and is generally more refined; however I can get a SLC-SL for $1500 less. I'm just looking to see what some of your options are, maybe there's someone here that has owned or ridden both bikes. I would appreciate your input and feel free to suggest which one to get.

Thanks
Marshall

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
How many bikes have you test ridden?

Have you been fitted? That might determine a lot and head you in another direction.

Just how much do you ride? Race?

I've tested quite a few bikes and right now I ride a 2008 Giant TCR Advanced. I can fit on either a 56 or a 58 CM Cervelo with no problem, so fitment isn’t an issue.
As for my ridding habits, I've done 20+ races between April and July and am currently ranked 11 in my class for criterium racing; I also put in 200+ miles each week of training. My racing isn’t limited to criteriums, I’ve done stage races, road races, TT’s, everything.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you can't afford the 1500 difference (ie you don't have money to throw away) and crits are your main thing, maybe a different bike is better suited.

I know I don't race my SLC in crits as I can't afford to replace it if I go down.

The S3 is a great ride, only you can decide if its worth the extra coin.

A

Anonymous

I have last years SLC second hand and built it up myself, it is superb and almost straight away I was eating half a dozen in the sprint, now I'm jumping with the greatest of ease, I don't last long but I was not managing it at all on the old bike. The guy I bought it from bought a Giant and we are all scratching our heads but hey, I'm happy. Forget the expensive new one even if you are loaded, a waste of honey. I got a hit shot bike for less than 2 grand, all told.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
mjohnson81 said:
I am looking at getting a new bike and have been looking at the Cervelo SLC-SL and the new S3. I've read that the new S3 is a little heavier, has a better ride and is generally more refined; however I can get a SLC-SL for $1500 less. I'm just looking to see what some of your options are, maybe there's someone here that has owned or ridden both bikes. I would appreciate your input and feel free to suggest which one to get.

Thanks
Marshall

I agree with Alpe that you should try a few different models out in your price range, but if you are set on a Cervelo I can offer the following. I wouldn't say the S3 is a better ride but it is reasonably compliant for a stiff race frame. I ride and race on a standard R3 and love it and find it soaks up road vibration noticeably better than my other bike, a Scott CR1. Have you given though to perhaps an S2, which is what many of the Cervelo Test Team ride. As a frameset it is quite a bit cheaper than the S3 and is essentially the old Carbon Soloist which was a great frame. Really you need to go with what feels best for you if money is not the determining factor. Where I live though you could buy an S2 and fit it with full Super Record for the price of an S3 frameset! That would probably sway me a bit:) One thing to note about the S3 also is that some rear wheels do not fit due to the tight clearances between the chainstays. Cervelo do list the wheels that can be used.