• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cervelo R3 vs. Pinarello Dogma

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Wondering if anybody out there has both an R3 and Pinarello Dogma, or has lengthy riding experience with both? Personally, I have an R3 and my brother is in the market for a new bike - upgrading from an older carbon Cannondale Synapse.

He is totally split between the two bikes . I totally vouch for the R3 - it rides like a dream. However, I have no real personal experience with a Dogma and cannot offer him a great opinion. I've only ridden around a parking lot with it once at a local shop, and couldn't really pound on it as 3 of the shop guys were watching us like hawks (it was decked out with Super Record 11, afterall). I figure somewhat that you get what you pay for, and you might get that extra oomph with the Dogma, right?

If the Pinarello is that much of a greater bike, he will totally go for it. So a few questions I want to ask are:

1) Climbing ability - what bike performs more efficiently?

2) Sprinting out of the saddle - which?

3) Descending

4) Comfort

5) Overall feel

Thanks in advance!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
How long is he going to keep it, I am always thinking about Euro vs Asia when I consider that.

I think on rational scale you would buy the Cervelo

But these things are not always rational :)

ViaPagliano said:
Wondering if anybody out there has both an R3 and Pinarello Dogma, or has lengthy riding experience with both? Personally, I have an R3 and my brother is in the market for a new bike - upgrading from an older carbon Cannondale Synapse.

He is totally split between the two bikes . I totally vouch for the R3 - it rides like a dream. However, I have no real personal experience with a Dogma and cannot offer him a great opinion. I've only ridden around a parking lot with it once at a local shop, and couldn't really pound on it as 3 of the shop guys were watching us like hawks (it was decked out with Super Record 11, afterall). I figure somewhat that you get what you pay for, and you might get that extra oomph with the Dogma, right?

If the Pinarello is that much of a greater bike, he will totally go for it. So a few questions I want to ask are:

1) Climbing ability - what bike performs more efficiently?

2) Sprinting out of the saddle - which?

3) Descending

4) Comfort

5) Overall feel

Thanks in advance!

Geez, get the one from an Italian company, even if the frame wasn't from Italia.

Heart says Italy, head says Canada (both really from Taiwan?).

I think the R5 is perhaps more comparable to a Dogma. The R3 is now down the list a little bit for Cervelo. Whatever you do, don't let him get one of those pig-ugly Cervelo aero things.

(Why couldn't you have a proper ride or "pound on it" with the Pinarello? Were the "shop guys" scared your awesome power would just snap it?)

Disclaimer: I bought a Colnago. My heart ruled my head. Nice bikes are supposed to be Italian. It is just the way it is.

(Be careful with Cervelo's fit. They now have stupid-long head-tubes that need negative rise stems if you want your bars low.)