• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cervelo RS vs Specialized Roubaix

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I have been looking very keenly at the RS recently, however today someone made me an offer of a 2007 Specialized Roubaix complete with Roval carbon wheels and carbon bars. It is immaculate, no damage that I could see, the right size, and less than half the total price of the new Cervelo, at 2300 EURO all in.

I think the Roubaix has a tall front end, just like the RS, and that suits me as I am looking for comfort; I'm not in competition, I just like riding tight, well built, slick bikes.

Your opinions welcome.

Chairvelo.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
You shouldn't just be looking keenly, but test riding keenly. Then you will see which bike suits you better. Never make a bike purchase based on how it looks, test ride, test ride, test ride. Maybe that Specialized is perfectly suited for you, and you'll save some money, but you have to test ride both to come to a conclusion no matter what bikes you're considering.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You shouldn't just be looking keenly, but test riding keenly. Then you will see which bike suits you better. Never make a bike purchase based on how it looks, test ride, test ride, test ride. Maybe that Specialized is perfectly suited for you, and you'll save some money, but you have to test ride both to come to a conclusion no matter what bikes you're considering.

Yes, I agree, thank you, but do you have an opinion on the manufacturer, quality of build, own experience, various use cases etc.?

Just because a bike feels "right" when you ride it does not mean it has high quality, reliability, good references etc. - there is no way of knowing those pieces of information through few hours of stroking.

Chairvelo.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
For the sake of this conversation, and pure curiosity, I just got back from test riding a Roubaix SL2 SRAM red. Stopped at the local shop at the end of my ride, even took it out on a mile of gravel... I must say the ride is pretty sweet, actually silky smooth, compliant, great stability at speed with that giant front end, and yes, stiff. Personally, I wouldn't spend the dough on one. If you're seriously considering a Cervélo, everyone knows that those project a whole helluva lot more prestige, and I bet the ride is lux, but you've gotta pay for it.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
95% of the kind of cycling I do these days is conversation on wheels - so thank you for taking that ride and for your comments. I must admit the C is my preference but 4K is 4K...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I agree with RDV4ROUBAIX in regards to choosing bikes based on test rides, but will give you my experiences as well. I own a Cervelo R3 and test rode an RS. I have not test ridden a Specialized, but have a very good friend that loves everything about the Specialized Roubaix. As you probably know, the RS has long rear stays and a more upright geometry which makes it perfect for comfortable rides and people with sore backs. If you're just looking to ride and talk, then this bike would be an excellent choice. The Specialized has more racing pedigree and hence is probably stiffer and less comfortable. I could not get the RS to work for me and preferred the R3 for comfort and power transfer up hills. However, many on the Cervelo Forum swear by the RS.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
While many people would knock Specialized down for being too big, the Roubaix's do hav a reputation for being a nice bike with a good compromise between performance and comfort.
Absent the test ride caveat, buying a slightly used road bike, like a slightly used car, can be a good way to go. Wouldn't necessarily do it on a mt. bike, where you'd potentially see alot of abuse, but you're a little safer on a road bike. Carbon fiber theoretically has a very long fatigue life, so a two-year old bike should have many years left in it.
Also in theory, you should be able to visually see most issues that would actually cause problems with unpainted CF.

TRENDING THREADS