• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cervelo rs

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Seriously considering buying this bike frame.Reviews on the net are excellent light fast comfortable great on bad roads.Its the head tube that's my concern,its very long.I have a head tube of 135 on my current bike,its a focus cayo size 54.I am 5 foot 9.5 so the bike is on the small side.If I get the 54 on the cervelo the head tube is 160mm thats ok welcome it in fact.

But I think I might need a 56 bike,and on the RS the head tube is 180mm.That is massive and I think my saddle will nearly be the same height as my handle bars?That would look and feel wrong I know I could get a longer stem on the 54 bike.That is what I have done on my cayo and it just does not feel 100%.I think I am between sizes does any one have a RS,and is about the same size as me.Advise would be fab

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I do not have an RS, but I test rode one 18 months ago. The head tube is so high because the bike is specifically designed for comfort (because it has riders sitting more upright, as well as the slightly longer rear stays) and is an ideal bike for riders with back pain. Plenty of people race the RS and versions have been used in professional races like Paris-Roubaix (again, for the comfort factor).

My advice - take a 54cm and a 56cm Cervelo RS for a test ride and get a professional fitting. These should answer all your questions. FYI and for what it is worth - I did not like riding the RS (because it was too upright) and much preferred the R3.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I had by 2010 RS professionally fitted ...i'm 5'9" and the 54cm is perfect for me. the 56cm was just a bit too big...I'd also recommend you get a professional fitting..then you're sure

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
horizon27 said:
Seriously considering buying this bike frame.Reviews on the net are excellent light fast comfortable great on bad roads.Its the head tube that's my concern,its very long.I have a head tube of 135 on my current bike,its a focus cayo size 54.I am 5 foot 9.5 so the bike is on the small side.If I get the 54 on the cervelo the head tube is 160mm thats ok welcome it in fact.

But I think I might need a 56 bike,and on the RS the head tube is 180mm.That is massive and I think my saddle will nearly be the same height as my handle bars?That would look and feel wrong I know I could get a longer stem on the 54 bike.That is what I have done on my cayo and it just does not feel 100%.I think I am between sizes does any one have a RS,and is about the same size as me.Advise would be fab

I am 5'11" and I ride a 54 in the R3. You should be fine on the 54

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd be very careful before buying a Cervelo. My very reliable local mechanic (who retails Cervelo as well as plenty of others) showed me a cross section of a carbon Cervelo frame next to one from a Colnago and the difference was stark. The Cervelo was very poorly finished with loads of rough cr@p on the inside. The Colnago (a Cambiasso built, locally crashed EPS) was as smooth and clean as a whistle.

I can't comment on the inside of Taiwanese manufactured Colnagos (eg CLX).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
I'd be very careful before buying a Cervelo. My very reliable local mechanic (who retails Cervelo as well as plenty of others) showed me a cross section of a carbon Cervelo frame next to one from a Colnago and the difference was stark. The Cervelo was very poorly finished with loads of rough cr@p on the inside. The Colnago (a Cambiasso built, locally crashed EPS) was as smooth and clean as a whistle.

The interior frame finish mean little. The Cervelo has a lifetime warranty, the Colnago 2 years.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The interior frame finish mean little. The Cervelo has a lifetime warranty, the Colnago 2 years.

Yes...great frame..great bike and a lifetime warranty on the frame..as Race radio points out...You won't be disappointed if you get one...

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

1st bold bit - it shows how much they really care about their craftsmanship. Sure, it takes a little longer and doesn't add any structural integrity, but it shows that Ernesto really, really cares about his frames.

2nd bold bit. Just remind me again what "lifetime warranty" really means? I'm a lawyer and where I'm from (a common law jurisdiction) it means "until it breaks". There is an implied warranty under our Trade Practices Act 1974 of fitness for purpose which might get you around 2 years for a Cervelo, but don't be a sucker and fall for the old "lifetime warranty" trick.

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:

The inside finish of the composite material means very little. What you should be concerned about is un-bonds and delaminations. Take a coin and lightly tap the frame if you hear a dead spot to the rest of the frame don't buy it.(Just don't do it front of the rep). I work in the aircraft industry and i know how stringent our testing is. I don't know how good the testing is on bikes. The problem with painted frames is you can't see the carbon and if there is any ply distortion.

I own a 2009 & only going to say that is the greatest investment I've ever done in a bike-you can check as many reviews as you want about the bike & you won't find a single complain(the only one that I've heard of was the "paint job")about the performance of it.

Just try it!!!

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
horizon27 said:

I'm exactly the same height as you with an 85cm inseam. I rode the 54 and it was good.

I'm riding a 56 Roubaix now which has a 190mm head tube and I still have 35 mm of saddle to bar drop and I also have 30 mm of spacers. The next size down has a 165 mm head tube so that would have added 25 mm (approx. I don't know the stack of a 54 Roubaix) of spacers and I have a bad back. The top tube on the 56 Cervelo is 56.5cm and on the 54, it's 54.6.

Here's the geometry. The reach difference is only 1.2 cm between a 54 and 56.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/RS/geometry/

73 Degree Seattube Angle
Size Wheel Size Head Tube Angle BB Drop Top Tube Head Tube Length Front Center Rear Center Stand Over Height Stack Reach Rake
XS 650c 72° 40 515 175 555 410 732 520 355 40
51 700c 71° 68 532 140 588 410 742 531 369 53
54 700c 72° 68 546 160 590 410 764 555 376 49
56 700c 73° 68 565 180 593 410 787 579 388 43
58 700c 73° 68 580 200 608 410 805 599 397 43
61 700c 73° 68 592 220 620 410 816 618 403 43

Unless you have short legs and a long torso the 54 should be perfect for you. But it can't hurt to try both.

BTW, it's very compliant which I like but you may not with all I read on these forums on the search for "stiffness."