• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chain and cassette recommendation for SRAM road group

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm running a full Rival transmission at the moment which is right on the limit of wear. Does anybody have any recommendations on the 'best' set up for smooth and quiet running now that spring is around the corner? I'm only looking for a new chain/cassette. Thanks.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Ultegra and Dura-Ace chains and cassettes with my 7800 setup, but last week I tuned an Ultegra Roubaix with SRAM 1070 chain and cassette that was sublime. The SRAM powerlock link is cool, too--makes it easy to remove the chain for cleaning. When my Shimano cassettes wear out I'm switching over.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Chain KMC XL10S (I think that is the one, may have something back to front!) It has a removable link, which is handy, and it is hard to get off, which is also handy!
Cassette, DA is pretty hard to beat IMO

LugHugger said:
I'm running a full Rival transmission at the moment which is right on the limit of wear. Does anybody have any recommendations on the 'best' set up for smooth and quiet running now that spring is around the corner? I'm only looking for a new chain/cassette. Thanks.

Cassettes are consumable so go for lower level cassette (rival, 105). You will get the same performance and durability for a fraction of the cost, the penalty be only a few grams which means nothing on the road. As for chains the KMC is very good. The SRAM chains wear out very fast!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
That is true about the cassette, I have two cassettes that I race with, (12-27 and 11-23) so swap between them. If I had the same ratios on both wheels I would probably use Ultegra on the trainers. THere is only $10 between Ultegra and 105, so it is minimal, DA and you move a decimal place...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Definately the KMC SL x10. It's one of the lightest chains. Ribble has them for $45 at the moment (usually about 75). I don't think it matters which cassette you use, but I heard the Shimano brands work quietly with KMC. I quite like the SRAM cassettes though.

LugHugger said:

KMC or 5700 chain. 5700 cogset. Remember, cogsets and chains are consumables, a higher end chain or cogset will not work better, last longer, just cost more and a be a wee bit lighter(grams). All mentioned far better than anything sram.

TRENDING THREADS