• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chain lube tips

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
How often do you guys apply dry chain lube? The mechanic at my LBS recommended me to clean the chain with a paper towel and apply dry lube after every ride. My question is, does it have to be after "every" ride?

As a background I ride around 150miles/week in mostly dry road conditions in the Northeast US.

Secondly, do I have to clean the chain with degreaser once in a while if I'm using a dry lube. What's the common practice when it comes to dry lubes?

Third I apply the lube inside each chain for one round and wait it to dry off. Again what should I do to get the best results?

Finally dry or wet? :)

Thanks all!

I've always used wet lube. I continue to now, mainly because I ride in the rain quite a bit. The dry stuff just doesn't stop your chain from rusting. I wipe mine off with an old towel and re-lube every 1 or 2 days. Every day if it is raining. I don't wipe it off after application, but before the next application. Some mechanics have opined that I leave too much lube on my chain, but I find my drivetrain is too noisy after they have applied (and wiped off) what they think is the right amount.

rower2cyclist said:
How often do you guys apply dry chain lube? The mechanic at my LBS recommended me to clean the chain with a paper towel and apply dry lube after every ride. My question is, does it have to be after "every" ride?

As a background I ride around 150miles/week in mostly dry road conditions in the Northeast US.

Secondly, do I have to clean the chain with degreaser once in a while if I'm using a dry lube. What's the common practice when it comes to dry lubes?

Third I apply the lube inside each chain for one round and wait it to dry off. Again what should I do to get the best results?

Thanks all!

Too often. When on a ride it sounds like you have a bird in your pocket, chain 'chirping', lube after that ride. Not until the chirp. Glob lots of lube on there, collect dirt, wear stuff out.

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
rower2cyclist said:

Thanks all!

Too often. When on a ride it sounds like you have a bird in your pocket, chain 'chirping', lube after that ride. Not until the chirp. Glob lots of lube on there, collect dirt, wear stuff out.

Thank You! I've only once come to a point that I hear the chain chirping.

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

winkybiker said:
I've always used wet lube. I continue to now, mainly because I ride in the rain quite a bit. The dry stuff just doesn't stop your chain from rusting. I wipe mine off with an old towel and re-lube every 1 or 2 days. Every day if it is raining. I don't wipe it off after application, but before the next application. Some mechanics have opined that I leave too much lube on my chain, but I find my drivetrain is too noisy after they have applied (and wiped off) what they think is the right amount.

Thanks! There's def the risk of putting too much. I live in a condo and cleaning the chain is def a hassle when I use degreaser.

Re: Re:

rower2cyclist said:
winkybiker said:

Thanks! There's def the risk of putting too much. I live in a condo and cleaning the chain is def a hassle when I use degreaser.

As above - with too much lube you will attract all sorts of road muck that will form a gritty paste like substance all through your drive chain and wear it out quicker!

A work around for living in a Condo is to quick-link your chain. Remove the whole chain and place in a container, apply degreaser and let it sit, remove and clean chain down, re-fit chain and apply a little lube and then wipe the chain clean when done.
Just make sure you discard the used degreaser correctly.....i throw mine over the neighbours fence when it's dark - :D

kidding :)

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

JackRabbitSlims said:
rower2cyclist said:
winkybiker said:

As above - with too much lube you will attract all sorts of road muck that will form a gritty paste like substance all through your drive chain and wear it out quicker!

A work around for living in a Condo is to quick-link your chain. Remove the whole chain and place in a container, apply degreaser and let it sit, remove and clean chain down, re-fit chain and apply a little lube and then wipe the chain clean when done.
Just make sure you discard the used degreaser correctly.....i throw mine over the neighbours fence when it's dark - :D

kidding :)

LOL! :))) Thank you for the tips. Learning how to remove the chain is a top item on my to-do list.

When I row my single, I wipe it down completely before I place it back on the rack. The best method for keeping your chain clean and ready to ride, is to wipe it down frequently at the conclusion of any long ride. The friction generated by riding has warmed the chain, and any grime trapped in the lubrication can be easily removed by running your chain vigorously through a clean shop towel. The same process at the beginning of your next ride will not remove as much road grime.

Applying lube directly to your chain is a bad idea. Over lubricated chains collect more dirt and accelerate chain and cog degradation. Many think that lubricating the rollers of each link is important. It is not. The plates of the chain is where the friction lies, and are what is in need of lubrication. Over lubrication turns chain and cassette into a dirt magnet.

The best method for lubricating your chain after wiping it clean, is to apply lube modestly and directly to a clean shop towel, fold that towel around the chain and repeat the cleaning process several times. Each time you will remove move grime and apply levels of lubrication that are both appropriate and will not attract excess dirt. Repeat the process until you are satisfied the chain is clean. Your chain will last longer, and so will your bottle of lube.

Oh... and in general terms, all Dry Lubes suck!

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just use Prolink dry lube now. I am a bit over the top with it, but chains and cassettes last a very long time with this routine and you bike stays very clean.

Prolink is self cleaning. You need to have a completely clean chain to start off with - getting it right from the start is important. I use a removable joining link on a shimano chain, take it of and put it in a bottle I have with some mineral turpentine, then let it sit for a while and shake it. I take the cassette of and do that with turps as well. Once out of the turps I clean with hot soapy water.

Back on the bike, and a drop of prolink on each roller, and then turn the pedals backwards foe a minute and then a quick wipe over with a paper kitchen towel, then let it sit. Before my next ride I wipe it over again, and when I get home follow the same process. Now it is set up.

I then follow Bustedknuckles advice and add lube when it needs it, but I wipe the chain over after every ride. I use long thin bit of rag to clean in between my sprockets on the cassette, and clean my bike properly once a week, where I have a car wash type glove that I use, but I also clean the chain and cassette thoroughly - the prolink is not a oil based lube so warm soapy water works well, and by rinsing with clean water and drying off you are good to go for a reapplication after washing and wipe over before next ride.

I give my bike a wash anytime I have had a wet ride, and don't like using any solvent on the bike, and the above method is super clean which is what you want. As people have mentioned, it is dirt and grime which wears things out and heavily applied wet lube is a magnet for this. Prolink is good as you can also use it for brake pivots and the like - its clean and does not leave a sticky residue.

It requires more care and a routine but you get the benefit from it. I also have a spray bottle with some truck wash in it, some automotive wipes and paper towel ready to go after a ride. I will generally give the whole bike a wipe down and then toss the dirty towels, so that I have gotten sweat and any grime of. Its a good chance to check things like tyres etc. Your bikes life increases a lot with all the above, but it adds a few minutes to your pre and post ride routine.

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
Many think that lubricating the rollers of each link is important. It is not. The plates of the chain is where the friction lies, and are what is in need of lubrication.

What's your evidence for this in terms of friction?

On the subject of wear, chains and cassettes don't wear out sideways; the chain stretches and the tooth shape on the cassette becomes shark-toothy. This is all the pins and rollers, not the plates.

I over-oil my chain according to many, but I like it to be quiet. Increased noise is related to how dry the chain is, not really to how dirty it is in my experience. My chain and cassette become incredibly gross on my commuter, but as long as I wipe the chain off and apply a generous amount of lube, the whole thing is super quiet. Dirt seems to get pushed to places where it doesn't really interfere with the operation. To me, noise could equate to friction and wear, but I have no evidence one way or another.

A while back, I had my drivetrain serviced by a pro-mechanic. When I picked it up, I suffered the usual lecture about over-oiling my chain but the almost-dry (but super clean) chain he left me with was whirring away noisily within 20km. I lubed it up when I got home.

Re:

fatsprintking said:
Prolink is self cleaning. .......but I wipe the chain over after every ride. I use long thin bit of rag to clean in between my sprockets on the cassette, and clean my bike properly once a week, where I have a car wash type glove that I use, but I also clean the chain and cassette thoroughly ........

I guess it's not really "self cleaning" then, is it?

Re:

VeloFidelis said:
When I row my single, I wipe it down completely before I place it back on the rack. The best method for keeping your chain clean and ready to ride, is to wipe it down frequently at the conclusion of any long ride. The friction generated by riding has warmed the chain, and any grime trapped in the lubrication can be easily removed by running your chain vigorously through a clean shop towel. The same process at the beginning of your next ride will not remove as much road grime.

Applying lube directly to your chain is a bad idea. Over lubricated chains collect more dirt and accelerate chain and cog degradation. Many think that lubricating the rollers of each link is important. It is not. The plates of the chain is where the friction lies, and are what is in need of lubrication. Over lubrication turns chain and cassette into a dirt magnet.

The best method for lubricating your chain after wiping it clean, is to apply lube modestly and directly to a clean shop towel, fold that towel around the chain and repeat the cleaning process several times. Each time you will remove move grime and apply levels of lubrication that are both appropriate and will not attract excess dirt. Repeat the process until you are satisfied the chain is clean. Your chain will last longer, and so will your bottle of lube.

There are three points where a chain needs lubrication. First, and most importantly, the link pins need to be lubricated where they move inside the inner links as the chain bends and straightens. Second, the insides of the rollers need lubrication to let them revolve freely around the bushings as they engage and disengage the sprocket teeth. If the rollers don't roll, they slide along the sprocket teeth, causing accelerated sprocket wear. Third, the surface where the outer side plates overlap the inner side plates can benefit from lubrication as well, although this contact surface is much more lightly loaded than the first two.

^^ Sheldon Brown.

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

VeloFidelis said:

VeloFidelis-Good stuff man! I like the idea of cleaning the chain right after the ride. It makes so much sense to me. Thanks for the good tips. Will def try your way when I get home tonight!

There are three points where a chain needs lubrication. First, and most importantly, the link pins need to be lubricated where they move inside the inner links as the chain bends and straightens. Second, the insides of the rollers need lubrication to let them revolve freely around the bushings as they engage and disengage the sprocket teeth. If the rollers don't roll, they slide along the sprocket teeth, causing accelerated sprocket wear. Third, the surface where the outer side plates overlap the inner side plates can benefit from lubrication as well, although this contact surface is much more lightly loaded than the first two.

^^ Sheldon Brown.[/quote]

I'm not sure that it was your intension... but thanks for reinforcing my comments on the finer points of chain lubrication, and using my dear departed friend Sheldon to do so. He and I may have disagreed on some things, but as you can see, this was not one.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

winkybiker said:
fatsprintking said:
Prolink is self cleaning. .......but I wipe the chain over after every ride. I use long thin bit of rag to clean in between my sprockets on the cassette, and clean my bike properly once a week, where I have a car wash type glove that I use, but I also clean the chain and cassette thoroughly ........

I guess it's not really "self cleaning" then, is it?
Yeah yeah. It does keep it really clean, but I am a bit AR on this stuff so it is never clean enough. :)