• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

chains and wear

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I use three bikes and ride over 10K miles a year. Seems like I am always replacing chains. I use Shimano 10 speed equipment and usually run Ultegra chains.
Here are some questions:
1. KMC, their newer chains with hollow pins and slotted plates, are not to my liking, but I did have good luck with the older X plate chains. How would you say they compare to the 6700 and 7900 Shimano chains.

2.YBN chains, I see them on eBay. Never heard of them before. A white chain, I wonder if anyone has tried these?
I get about 3K per chain and that way don't have to change out cassettes as often.

3. I rarely wear out the smallest and largest cogs...where could I buy just the 14-17 cogs?

Christian Schneider said:
I use three bikes and ride over 10K miles a year. Seems like I am always replacing chains. I use Shimano 10 speed equipment and usually run Ultegra chains.
Here are some questions:
1. KMC, their newer chains with hollow pins and slotted plates, are not to my liking, but I did have good luck with the older X plate chains. How would you say they compare to the 6700 and 7900 Shimano chains.

2.YBN chains, I see them on eBay. Never heard of them before. A white chain, I wonder if anyone has tried these?
I get about 3K per chain and that way don't have to change out cassettes as often.

3. I rarely wear out the smallest and largest cogs...where could I buy just the 14-17 cogs?

Least expensive compatible chain. 5700 or KMX dx-10-both about $35-$40.

Ultegra doesn't last any longer, work any better than the 5700.
shimano doesn't offer loose cogs....

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Christian Schneider said:
Here are some questions:

Out of interest, what's not to like about the KMC slotted plate/ hollow pin chains (X10-SL I presume)?

I'm using the next level down X10-L on my road bike (slotted inner plates, X-outer plates and solid pins) and X9-L on my MTB and they seem to run just as well as any previous chains (Shimano 7800, XTR, KMC Z-9000).

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've never had a chain break with SRAM or KMC (which I'm currently using and am happy with) but I, my wife and my best mate have all had chain failures with Shimano 10-speed chains. (Different bikes and mechanics in each case so it's not just me!)

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
hey,

if you buy a sram chain, they come out of the box pre stretched.

Wahoooooey:D

i am not a fan of sram chains by any stretch of the imagination. Oh and they are incredibly noisy.

New generation Shimano chains....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm goood :eek:

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
to get the most out of chains, I recommend.......

Hello Riders, If you were to buy two or three more chains when you buy a new bike or drivetrain you will be on the road to longer chain and drivetrain life. To complete the expirience you will want to swap out and replace the chains periodically. This allows the drivetrain to wear more slowly since each is in the same state of wear. This also allows you to clean and relube them all at once and repeat the weaving in of the set of chains.
By using 4 chains you will increase the performance and longevity of the whole drive train by a factor of 6 or 7, rather than watch a new chain wear quickly on an old cogset or ringset. I hope this makes sense.
If anyone has further questions you may email me at (sales@morningstartools.com) I would be happy to explain further.

Happier trails, Paul morningstar;)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Kmc makes Shimanos chains for them, so in terms of wear you won't see much difference between the two.

The Wipperman is one of the best chains for resisting wear from mileage, but it also doesn't shift as well as Kmc or Shimano.

Kmc is probably the best compromise in durability, performance, price. The DX10 is inexpensive and works really well.

YBN usually copies what Kmc is doing, and honestly they do a good job of making something very similar at a lower price. I don't think the materials are quite up to the same standard though and the YBN does seem to wear faster than the Kmc versions.

I've never thought much of Srams chain quality.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The Wipperman is a superb chain for durability, but the shifting is not as good as the Shimano offerings. My first choice.

I don't think much of SRAM chains. Pre-stretched is a great way to describe them. It amazes me how fast they stretch on my singlespeed mtb, which I really don't ride much, nor in inclement weather.

Now to your question:
YBN makes very cheap chains, which have not held up well in my experience as a mechanic in a bike shop.
KMC have not been much better.

Best to worst :
1. Rohloff back in the 8speed days.
2. Wippermann
3. Shimano
4. SRAM
5. KMC
6. YABAN