• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Change in Clinic attitude

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 19, 2010
1,499
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
This post reveals a lot about you (not a criticism, just an observation).

You thought it was LA who fueled much of the negative comments here - many (including me) have repeated that is not the case, it is the overall system that is at fault, yet our view was largely ignored.


You are correct that there is a change in attitude (not just here on CN) amongst the cycling community - but it is in line with "we hate dopers tarnishing the sport we love" - as people have realized the extent of the problem and moreso that there is little being done to address it.

Yes, it is unfair to call Pro Cycling a freak show - but overall it rightly has little trust or credibility.

Sure, some have made generalizations or emotive remarks (as was done in the OP) but that shows the frustrations of the poster with the sport they care for.

LA did fuel most of the negative comments, I stand by that.

You are posting about YOUR motivations on this Forum, they do not necessarily apply to everyone. Your motivation behind posting is invariably well informed and reasonable.

As you tend not to call Pro cycling a freak show or pro cyclists douchebags, then Im not sure why you are defending those that do.
 
Jun 19, 2009
11,437
0
0
andy1234 said:
LA did fuel most of the negative comments, I stand by that.

You are posting about YOUR motivations on this Forum, they do not necessarily apply to everyone. Your motivation behind posting is invariably well informed and reasonable.

As you tend not to call Pro cycling a freak show or pro cyclists douchebags, then Im not sure why you are defending those that do.
Sure - LA fueled a lot of the comments because he is a doper who is protected by the UCI - it continually showed the state of the sport.

Now there are other riders or incidents that confirm that and show that the sport has not really moved forward in the intervening years.

I am not defending per se - but your post is generalizing some views who themselves are generalizing.

Yes - some here do believe they all doped and they believe that - but many others who say that then state that their favorite rider/team is clean - so it is nothing more than a general frustration, which with all the news so far this year is understandable.
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,646
0
0
Mambo95 said:
Yeah, but you don't then go on the internet screaming about Transformers aren't real and calling Michael Bay a fraud and a liar.
Yeah, but if someone does say Transformers are real, you point and laugh accordingly.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,827
0
0
andy1234 said:
I used to believe that Armstrong created a lot of the anger in people, but it seems tha anger is just being directed elsewhere.

Which begs the question, why follow a sport that you have no respect for?
Yes, that anger IS increasing and it IS starting to shoot off in many different directions. Not quite as focused as before. And I think it will get worse before it gets better. But it will get better. Be patient, you will see....

Although many of the FanBoys are currently in the Penalty Box (blutto,cobblestoned,flicker and some distinquished others), I think they would agree with me that Pro cycling is a WONDERFUL Sport. Heck, Fanboys seem to share a Positive Mental Attitude towards this great sport lol. PMA. Its Mental really.

Anywho, maybe part of the increasing ANGER is really just FRUSTRATION on the part of the haterz, who may be starting to realize that the fanboys have been correct all along. yikes.
 
Apr 19, 2010
1,499
0
0
Polish said:
Yes, that anger IS increasing and it IS starting to shoot off in many different directions. Not quite as focused as before. And I think it will get worse before it gets better. But it will get better. Be patient, you will see....

Although many of the FanBoys are currently in the Penalty Box (blutto,cobblestoned,flicker and some distinquished others), I think they would agree with me that Pro cycling is a WONDERFUL Sport. Heck, Fanboys seem to share a Positive Mental Attitude towards this great sport lol. PMA. Its Mental really.

Anywho, maybe part of the increasing ANGER is really just FRUSTRATION on the part of the haterz, who may be starting to realize that the fanboys have been correct all along. yikes.
:rolleyes:
 
Jul 9, 2009
6,625
0
0
Polish said:
Edited to spare the large percentage of the forum which has you on ignore.
I do not simply for the comedic value.
Just exactly what are you claiming now that you have been right about, ever, let alone all along?
Serious question.
 
Mar 17, 2009
1,745
0
0
My take is that we're now seeing the dawning realisation in all the Postal/Lance brigade that Lemond, Kimmage & Walsh were right all along and turning their vitriol on the sport as awhole is the only way to rationalise it.;)
 
Aug 9, 2010
444
0
0
Hmmmm. If you want to burn it down and rebuild a new clean sport, well good luck with that. You'll have a hard job because you're also going to have to erase the entire history of the sport. There has never been a 'golden age' where it was clean. Road cycling has been riddled with corruption and cheating from year one.


@Ultimobici - good point.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,264
0
0
andy1234 said:
Is it just me, or is there a change in clinic attitude lately?
The common attitude used to be "we hate dopers tarnishing the sport we love"
Recently there seems to be little love for the sport and more ridicule in general.

More threads accusing everyone of doping rather than individals.
More threads calling pro cycling a freak show.

I used to believe that Armstrong created a lot of the anger in people, but it seems tha anger is just being directed elsewhere.

Which begs the question, why follow a sport that you have no respect for?

They are not continental Europeans. They don't have a clue.
 
Well, I've been here longer than everyone, and helped create the Clinic. I can say with certainty that there has been a lot of slow shifts in both the Clinic and the entire CN forum many times over the last couple of years. Most of these reflect topics at hand in the sport, coupled with whomever happens to be attending the conversation. A few members have come and gone, a few are new, but many are the same. During this time fervor both for, and against Armstrong have likely increased in the last two years, as allegations against him have been brought to light. Calls for overhauling of the sport are mostly directed at the UCI, and have increased as more is revealed about their workings, many of which are viewed as being corrupt and damaging to the sport.

Again, nearly all changes in the Clinic, and CN forums in general, are a logical reflection of the news in the sport at hand. But the core remains the same. People are sick of doping, sick of cheating, sick of lies and sick of the corruption. They are expressing it more now perhaps because there appears to be more of it brought to their attention.
 
andy1234 said:
is it just me, or is there a change in clinic attitude lately?
The common attitude used to be "we hate dopers tarnishing the sport we love"
recently there seems to be little love for the sport and more ridicule in general.

more threads accusing everyone of doping rather than individals.
more threads calling pro cycling a freak show.

I used to believe that armstrong created a lot of the anger in people, but it seems tha anger is just being directed elsewhere.

Which begs the question, why follow a sport that you have no respect for?


"hate the players-not the game" ;)
 
Jun 19, 2009
4,841
0
0
If there has been an increase in vitriol it can, as some have touched on, be proportionate to the amount of faith many had in LA and others for so long. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,310
0
0
Oldman said:
If there has been an increase in vitriol it can, as some have touched on, be proportionate to the amount of faith many had in LA and others for so long. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
You're probably right. It's like a Liverpool FC fan said about Fernando Torres last week - "We hate you so much because we loved you so much"
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,827
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
Just exactly what are you claiming now that you have been right about, ever, let alone all along?
Serious question.
Doping Does Not Transform a Rider.

And to think otherwise is dumb and potentially dangerous.
 
May 22, 2009
68
0
0
the clinic just seems to be a place where angry men go to fuel their egos in a place similair people will listen. Nothing's really changed apart from the growing arrogance.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS