• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chicken - AC joining forces under Riis?

I really think that Michael Rasmussen deserves a second chance. Yes he cheated and yes he does not have a likeable personality, but that shouldn't end in him being blacklisted. The rules clearly says that you are banned for 2 years, and although most of us wants to see a lifetime ban, you have to follow the rules as they are. When you see the likes of Vino, Basso and Ricco return, you have to agree that it's wrong that Michael Rasmussen have been blacklisted.

I also think that Michael Rasmussen no longer have any personal ambitions, other than proving that he can ride with the best. He clearly says that he wants to return as a domestic rider and would be glad to help Contador or another strong leader.

Furthermore, he would be very cheap to sign. I'm pretty sure that he only thinks about riding again and not how big a paycheck he can get. Also his personal sponsor, Christina Design London, have said that they would pay his salaries.

If he still got the legs, and Contador gives his approval, it could be a gamle worth taking. But it depends on Team SBSs budget and what other riders they can get...

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Contador won't mind. Vino worked perfectly for Contador, Rasmussen would do the same. And if he didn't, Riis would make sure The Chicken ends in the garbage can again.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I must admit that I can't stand liars and was outraged at his behaviour in 2007. However, like many others, he was banned and as you say, now he should get his chance again (this was not part of my thread).

I just wanted to raise the question if a chicken at his best might perhaps become a potential internal threat to AC. It was a similar situation with LA last year. There is a second guy in the team who might challenge your captain role, which under some circumstances might become a problem...

We have seen it in the past that if the form is here, a rider's promises to just be a good helper might evaporate... But then again, he might not reach his incredible level of 2007 and the topic will never become an issue... we'll see! in any case, it might add some spice.

Personally, I would prefer to see him joining another top team and reach his best level in order to see AS, AC & MR cause some fireworks next year!

fireworks like this here, yeah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOhvPcgo50

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see chicken back to help out Alberto - he's done his time and would be an asset for AC and the team.

Pretty sure he'd have a million eyes on him to keep him in check PED-wise, plus with Riis giving him the chance and him being 36 and not exactly being overrun by offers, doubt he'd try and go for glory himself. Likely he's just happy to get any kind of wage.

Plus, unless he's miraculously learned to do an ITT, don't think AC would be worried.

Pat McQuaid has said Riis is free to sign up the chicken. Is this a sign that he's no longer blacklisted by the UCI?

I don't know but the snowball seems to finally be rolling in Michael Rasmussens favour again.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Whatever you think of the guy, he deserves a chance to come back, the circumstancial evidence against him was less than Basso, and obviously a lot less than convicted dopers eg Vino (or Ricco as it looks he is going to be back on the big stage soon).

He's done the time, and deserves to come back when so many other banned riders are back and have won a stage, Monument and even GT.

Otherwise it is hypocrisy, because what? The guy is a slightly awkward personality?

Michael Rasmussen is definitely not in shape to challenge Contador or any other top rider, but he could be a great asset in the mountains. Furthermore, if Bjarne Riis signs him this week, he would be able to ride the Vuelta. The best thing would be to sign him now and let him ride the Vuelta. Then evaluate and either extend the contract or not.

But there are probably more teams that are interested. Christina Design London will pay his wages...

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
He's done the time, and deserves to come back when so many other banned riders are back and have won a stage, Monument and even GT.

Otherwise it is hypocrisy, because what? The guy is a slightly awkward personality?

Nobody of the previous posters mentioned any outrage or even the slightest hesitation that chicken shall be allowed back in a top team. So it's not a clinic thread and it is about whether a chicken in best (2007) form might become a problem for AC. But then again, he seems to be far from 2007 condition... but a year to go.

la.margna said:
I just wanted to raise the question if a chicken at his best might perhaps become a potential internal threat to AC. It was a similar situation with LA last year. There is a second guy in the team who might challenge your captain role, which under some circumstances might become a problem...

We have seen it in the past that if the form is here, a rider's promises to just be a good helper might evaporate... But then again, he might not reach his incredible level of 2007 and the topic will never become an issue... we'll see! in any case, it might add some spice.

Personally, I would prefer to see him joining another top team and reach his best level in order to see AS, AC & MR cause some fireworks next year!

fireworks like this here, yeah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOhvPcgo50

tbh, unless riis and rasmussen used to be best best best best best mates in a previous life, i can't see a "LA/JB v AC" type situation arising within SBS.

i'm sure that was a special one off type situation based purely on the all conquering man-love between JB and LA.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
Nobody of the previous posters mentioned any outrage or even the slightest hesitation that chicken shall be allowed back in a top team. So it's not a clinic thread and it is about whether a chicken in best (2007) form might become a problem for AC. But then again, he seems to be far from 2007 condition... but a year to go.

I wasnt making a strawman with any previous poster - but I do wonder why he isnt back?

To answer your question more directly, at 36 with 2 years out I dont think he will be strong enough to challenge direct, but could be an excellent mountains domestique, and tactically you could send him up the road for king of the mountains points before slowing down and waiting to support Contador on the final climb.

With Fuglsang, Sorenson, Navaaro, the Chicken, Cancellara etc this would be an amazingly strong team in support of by far the strongest rider.

The only thing that will make racing interesting is if they go after all 3 GTs in the same year and make themselves very tired...

Fuglsang will probably leave Team SBS, but there is also Gustav Larsson and Richie Porte. It all depends on who leaves the team and how many riders Contador brings with him. But it will probably end with the same team as they have now(strenght wise), so Michael Rasmussen could strengthen them in the mountains.

Winterfold said:
I wasnt making a strawman with any previous poster - but I do wonder why he isnt back?

To answer your question more directly, at 36 with 2 years out I dont think he will be strong enough to challenge direct, but could be an excellent mountains domestique, and tactically you could send him up the road for king of the mountains points before slowing down and waiting to support Contador on the final climb.

With Fuglsang, Sorenson, Navaaro, the Chicken, Cancellara etc this would be an amazingly strong team in support of by far the strongest rider.

The only thing that will make racing interesting is if they go after all 3 GTs in the same year and make themselves very tired...

I believe the primary reason for the lack of interest by top teams in Rassmussen is his history of not being much of a team player. Apparently he doesn't mesh well with his teammates, prefers/insists on training alone, and then there is the quote (one of many corrosive statements to the media that he's made) regarding Menchov during one of the Tours that "Menchov couldn't get his a$$ over the Galibier". Not exactly endearing himself to future teams in the process.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
rasmussen is very unsocial indeed. few weeks ago on dutch tv michael boogerd told that in one of the tours he helped rasmussen win the kom in, boogerd would end 2nd in most kom sprints behind rasmussen to help. which meant boogerd was 2nd in kom rankings and rasmussen said I don't like you to do that anymore.

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Chicken is a strange guy, but would be a good combination with Conti. Climbing duo that would be hard to beat.

And, Riis is no fool. He is a pretty good tactician

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
mmmm The Chicken as a team player for Contador? I don't know but you are talking about other "Chicken"... The Chicken in his all years inside the PT didn't show that he is a teamplayer... but maybe all this years outside the top teams and the big races have teached them to be humble and work for the team without personal hidden ambitions...

If He know and understands which is going to be his work and if he can have a good relationship and understanding with Contador and if he can climb in a really good level (maybe enough to stay with Frank) I will sign him...

Also he would be like Vino, i.e, a rider to mark in the High Mountains... Do you remember when Vino tried to breakaway in La Col de la Madeleine? That attack wasn't successful but What would happen if that guy were The Chicken in a good form?

Contador - Andy - Frank - Riccó - The Chicken - Kashechkin? Well looks like now We will have a party!

Ryaguas said:
"... The Chicken in his all years inside the PT didn't show that he is a teamplayer... QUOTE]

Go and take another look at the 2006 tour de france. Watch the stage to Pla D'Beret where Rasmussen did a superb job before the final climb to shred many of the best climbers.

Then watch the flandis stage to Morzine, where Rasmussen is towing Menchovs *** up Joux Plane, while Boogerd is up springting for mountain points.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
He was away for 3 years in total where he didn't race with the pro peloton. I think he would probably need one season to get back to top form. Maybe if he rode the Vuelta he might become really competitive already next season. If he doesn't race with the pros this season, I don't think he'll be able to challenge Bertie at all next year. And that's without any consideration to clinic topics. He's also getting close to retirement age. He likely missed his best years already.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I believe the primary reason for the lack of interest by top teams in Rassmussen is his history of not beaing much of a team player. Apparently he doesn't mesh well with his teammates, prefers/insists on training alone, and then there is the quote (one of many corrosive statements to the media that he's made) regarding Menchov during one of the Tours that "Menchov couldn't get his a$$ over the Galibier". Not exactly endearing himself to future teams in the process.

Indeed!

In 2007 Menchov pulled Chicken (and the peleton) around France...

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
ok, sorry if i missed a chicken basher :D
no offense! :)

none taken

Without knowing the guy, I did hint that the guy comes across as strange and difficult to get on with, as other posters are now saying in more depth.

This has a lot to do with why he hasnt been let back in IMO and may have more bearing on how he does in the future, than if he can still cut it physically

Great news for Riis and Contador another excellent Mountain Domestique for Team SBS...Rasmussen deserves a second chance like all the others...Would love to see Rasmussen give hell to all the former Rabo riders next year"

TRENDING THREADS