• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Great ride today for Froome he really gave his all,i wasn't expecting him to be better than Valverde and Purito.Sky team was insane too,but still he's not the same Froome,i want the version 2011-2013 back,well maybe in the next mountain stage:D

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MBotero said:
Great ride today for Froome he really gave his all,i wasn't expecting him to be better than Valverde and Purito.Sky team was insane too,but still he's not the same Froome,i want the version 2011-2013 back,well maybe in the next mountain stage:D

He played perfectly into Contador's hands by getting separation from Valverde and Co. and, while aggression is necessary if he wants the podium he may want to reconsider trading direct blows with Contador on steep hills. More of this beat down is likely as we get into the 3rd week....

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
sir fly said:
Watching Froome at this Vuelta has strengthen my opinion that there's really nothing much to dislike about him.

Well, there's that book he wrote. And his entitled girlfriend rubs people the wrong way.

On the road it's not Froome so much as Sky and Brailsford. Froome is an exciting rider who attacks when he can and races aggressively. He is a slave to his power meter and heart rate monitor, though, but it is Sky and its approach that loses fans more than Chris Froome himself.

Oldman said:
He played perfectly into Contador's hands by getting separation from Valverde and Co. and, while aggression is necessary if he wants the podium he may want to reconsider trading direct blows with Contador on steep hills. More of this beat down is likely as we get into the 3rd week....

Froome is getting better as the race progress. Don't think he will hit anything near peak form but it should be good enough to beat piti and J-rod. Agreed on the second to last part, I think he should try and utilize his team in order to grab a stage win.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I never thought I would ever find myself cheering for Froome, but I think I might end up cheering for him to take 2nd. :eek: Purely for Great Grand Tour Game reasons of course. ;)

Anyway, been riding very well thus far. Strong ride today.

Looks happy with his efforts.

Cimber said:
Matt Keenan‏@mwkeenan·1 min
"I like Froome as a person but I don’t like the way he rides, always watching his SRM", Warren Barguil before Stage 16. #LaVuelta

I wonder how much of talk like this is sour grapes? Do they think he is a danger to other riders or just that it is not a 'classy' way to ride? IMO, I think the way he rides would be much less of an issue with Barguil if he wasn't beating Barguil up the mountains.

Carols said:
This guy just continues to impress. When someone rides like he has despite the adversity it makes one respect him. He needs to move from Sky and look up though :).

Well stated. I hope this race goes some way to burying the 'Froome is a mentally weak rider' argument that arose during the Dauphine. He might not be able to compete physically with Contador at the Vuelta, but I admire his tenacity.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
djpbaltimore said:
I wonder how much of talk like this is sour grapes? Do they think he is a danger to other riders or just that it is not a 'classy' way to ride? IMO, I think the way he rides would be much less of an issue with Barguil if he wasn't beating Barguil up the mountains.

Well stated. I hope this race goes some way to burying the 'Froome is a mentally weak rider' argument that arose during the Dauphine. He might not be able to compete physically with Contador at the Vuelta, but I admire his tenacity.

Every pro rider has tenacity. But what are his chances, seriously if he continues to drain himself? Contador and Froome had equal preparation time and the results are speaking to each of their strengths. As I said...stay tuned for week 3.

Oldman said:
[/B]

Every pro rider has tenacity. But what are his chances, seriously if he continues to drain himself? Contador and Froome had equal preparation time and the results are speaking to each of their strengths. As I said...stay tuned for week 3.

Agreed about the first part, but many here were not giving Froome credit for any mental strength whatsoever. Quite the contrary in fact, so I think the plaudits are worthy in his case.

djpbaltimore said:
Agreed about the first part, but many here were not giving Froome credit for any mental strength whatsoever. Quite the contrary in fact, so I think the plaudits are worthy in his case.

I think Froome has proven conclusively in this Vuelta that he has the attitude of a champion. Even if he 'only' finished 2nd I think this Vuelta would be considered a success since his only aim was to try and finish the race.

TRENDING THREADS