• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
ferryman said:
Let's wait and see on that one. As far as I'm aware, AC, Nibs, Quintana, Froome have never been in the same race with their A game. Let's all hope they get there safely in July and let the fun begin;)

I agree. The fans felt cheated with what happened in last year's Tour. No one disputes how one sided Nibali's win was but the race was decided a long way out and without knocking the French riders they are hardly in the same class as Froome and Contador. I hope Quintana also turns up in great form.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Maybe not all at once, but over different races they probably will. Froome and Quintana have already clashed while bringing the A game.
True, although Quintana has still potential to perform better than he did in the 2013 tour. Some even believe he could one day climb better than peak Froome.

Given how much variation there seems to be in strength and in not crashing, I think it's very unlikely we'll ever get 4/4 in top form at the same GT. If we can get 2/4 and avoid the sort of one sided dominance we saw in the last 3 Tours, I'd be content.

Assuming they are all close on top 4. I remain unconvinced Nibali can climb with the other 3 and time trial with the other 2.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
True, although Quintana has still potential to perform better than he did in the 2013 tour. Some even believe he could one day climb better than peak Froome.

Given how much variation there seems to be in strength and in not crashing, I think it's very unlikely we'll ever get 4/4 in top form at the same GT. If we can get 2/4 and avoid the sort of one sided dominance we saw in the last 3 Tours, I'd be content.

Assuming they are all close on top 4. I remain unconvinced Nibali can climb with the other 3 and time trial with the other 2.

He should be able to time trial with post 2009 Contador, or at least it should be close.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
Hopefully Mister skinny bones gets everything taken care of. I'd hate for him to be under the weather for Tirreno. We've already lost Nibali for the next showdown.

no worries.. last year romandie he even needed his inhailer and he still won that race.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:

I have to agree with you. I haven't seen someone riding so fast on the climb like Froome at Dauphene with contador on his wheel. Never seen Nibali pulls that kind of effort. Even contador in two occasions has said how difficult to follow froome's acceleration because he keeps going and going and going. Quintana has the pedigree, but it will be in the next future.

Jelantik said:
I have to agree with you. I haven't seen someone riding so fast on the climb like Froome at Dauphene with contador on his wheel. Never seen Nibali pulls that kind of effort. Even contador in two occasions has said how difficult to follow froome's acceleration because he keeps going and going and going. Quintana has the pedigree, but it will be in the next future.

Pantani versus Armstrong
Pantani versus Ullrich
Pantani versus Indurain (& Berzin)

But yeah, I get you're point. In the nearest past, even Contador against Rasmussen wasn't pushing that hard if I remember correctly. Froome's effort on Pe?a Cabarga also looked quite impressive. Although Horner topped it later.

But let's not praise Froome to the skies. It's still Contador who is the best grand tour rider and climber of his generation. Although Froome maybe should've won two more grand tours.

Nibali never was and never will be on that level. In fact he has a much bigger palmares than his original quality is. But that's just the most impressive thing about him. There are and have been much better cyclist than Nibali with a lighter palmares (Including Froome right now). He knows exactly what he's capable of and how to play his cards! Chapeu for that.

Quintana has the ability to take on Froome and Contador. So it's 2 + Quintana right now. But after 2014 I'm even more convinced with Aru. Let's see whether he can really step up and become the new Pantani!

If he doea Giro (and hopefully Vuelta) it should be fun. I seriously doubt Contador's double ambitions in that case. He will either be too squeezed by little angel after the Giro or will lose out on Finestre.

But it's just pure speculation of course. Giro could be a walk in the park also. But Aru impressed me at the Giro and convinced me in Spain. I got much faith in him that this year he may make me adore him.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Quintana has the ability to take on Froome and Contador.

Quintana is 25 right now and was very good very early, so I think if he doesn't climb as well as they do within 2 years, it's not going to happen either. Barring bizarre career trajectories, of course, like Froome's.

I can't wait to see what he can do this year.

Froome : "My off season in India at an Ayurvedic retreat, healing the body & mind"

2pzl9c9.jpg

What's Froome's schedule after Catalunya?
Since he's passed on Tirreno, I suppose he'll make up racing days during the April. Or he might combine Romandie with some race.
I think it's essential for him to have a long block of racing before he takes a break before the Dauphine.

Re: Re:

happychappy said:
SeriousSam said:
I hope they have high hygenic standards there, Dawg surely wouldn't want another bout with bazilla
He went swimming in the Ganges. +25w to his FTP in July.
We don't have strange diseases here like that. Just std ones like Malaria which i am sure that he is already almost immune to having lived in Africa. The Ganges has the std pollutants. So yes it will make a nice cocktail with the chemicals already in his body( assuming he swallowed some) and give him +25 w FTP and 0.5 kg wt loss :D

Re:

sir fly said:
What's Froome's schedule after Catalunya?
Since he's passed on Tirreno, I suppose he'll make up racing days during the April. Or he might combine Romandie with some race.
I think it's essential for him to have a long block of racing before he takes a break before the Dauphine.

Think he will do Romandie and Dauphine, no point in him doing races like LBL with his DNF record in one-day races. A nice block of training in Tenerife added with that and he'll be in top form.

With Froome saying since the start of the season that he is aiming for a peak in week 3 of the Tour it makes sense for him not to over do it with the prep races.

Re: Re:

IndianCyclist said:
happychappy said:
SeriousSam said:
I hope they have high hygenic standards there, Dawg surely wouldn't want another bout with bazilla
He went swimming in the Ganges. +25w to his FTP in July.
We don't have strange diseases here like that. Just std ones like Malaria which i am sure that he is already almost immune to having lived in Africa. The Ganges has the std pollutants. So yes it will make a nice cocktail with the chemicals already in his body( assuming he swallowed some) and give him +25 w FTP and 0.5 kg wt loss :D
I think that a Tour contender needs more than a week of racing monthly to be in the top shape for three weeks in July.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Why not just follow the same schedule as last year, where he also missed out on T-A.. He was okay in Romandie, and very good in Dauphine. He'll be ready for the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS