• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 203 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
OMG have you seen Froome during presentation, he is in the mega monster shape :eek: :eek: :eek: , he will be a serious trouble if he arrives healthy in the mountains, no freakin chance Nibali in 14 or AC Giro form will hold his wheel :eek:

ILovecycling said:
OMG have you seen Froome during presentation, he is in the mega monster shape :eek: :eek: :eek: , he will be a serious trouble if he arrives healthy in the mountains, no freakin chance Nibali in 14 or AC Giro form will hold his wheel :eek:

We shall see. I anticipate a nervous 9 days for Sky. (and everybody)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Did they do an FTP test at the presentation or are you basing this on the Alien likeness? I know some people like to look at pictures of the riders and think it's predictive of performance but I don't think there is any evidence for that.

The time trial will tell us much more.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Electress said:
ILovecycling said:

We shall see. I anticipate a nervous 9 days for Sky. (and everybody)
and I expect Alberto to be better than at Giro :) (unlike few weeks ago)
and I agree with your point

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Nibali and Contador bigger rivals than Froome according to Quintana.

And despite Froome winning the Tour tune-up Critérium du Dauphiné last month and also triumphing at the Vuelta a Andalucia in February, Quintana does not consider him to be at the same level as Nibali and Contador.

“I think [Nibali] and Contador are the favourites. In any case, they’re my most dangerous rivals,” said Quintana on Friday, on the eve of the Grand Départ.

“Alberto is aiming for the Giro-Tour double, and I think he can do it. As for Chris Froome, he’s a little bit behind, but I’m not ruling him out.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/froome-behind-tour-rivals-says-quintana_376219#uZOtfsWkDFT0wJyQ.99

Quintana doesn't elaborate why he thinks Froome is less of a rival than Contador and Nibali. I wonder on what grounds he thinks so. Not enough ITT's? If that's the reason, Quintana must think that Froome is weaker in the mountains than Contador and Nibali. Than Nibali? Can't really see that. Than Contador? Without the Giro possibly Contador would be stronger. But with the giro in his legs? Doubtful. Weaker team? Sky looks superstrong.

Am I missing something? Or is Quintana just playing mind games?

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Froome will win this Tour. He looked anxious at the team presentation. How he grabbed the mic/hand of the presenter during the interview. Very akward moment there. He's not looking good to me.

Seems like a very odd thing to say considering Froome has shown the most in the lead-up to the Tour, aside from Contador, by winning his prep race. Froome also looks to be at his ideal weight. If anyone is "a bit behind" then it would be Nibali and Quintana, but really I think they're all ready. It's possible that Quintana is thinking back to last year's Vuelta where Froome wasn't great and Quintana would more than likely finished ahead of him if he didn't crash out. But seems more likely that he's just trying to install doubt in the Froome camp.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

mufana said:
How he grabbed the mic/hand of the presenter during the interview. Very akward moment there. He's not looking good to me.
Yeah, not to mention his haircut. He should just go home now, buy a mini karaoke kit and prepare the Vuelta. In 2 months he may learn how to handle a mic.

Re: Re:

McLovin said:
mufana said:
How he grabbed the mic/hand of the presenter during the interview. Very akward moment there. He's not looking good to me.
Yeah, not to mention his haircut. He should just go home now, buy a mini karaoke kit and prepare the Vuelta. In 2 months he may learn how to handle a mic.

Yeah, it feels like people, who are understandably desperate for info on form, are reading far too much into insignificant things. I also read a similar thing about Contador being nervous so that must mean he's not in shape. It's far more likely that any awkwardness in public speaking is just because these guys are not trained public speakers and do feel a bit awkward when a mic is shoved in front of them and they have to speak to a room full of journalists, especially as they can't really speak their mind and have to basically speak for a couple of minutes while actually saying nothing.

As far as I'm concerned Froome looks ready, as do the other big 3, and we're in for a great race.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't know why Quintana would say such a thing... The way he rides (wheel sucking it to 2k to go) suits Sky just fine. And with 5k to go, Froome can mincemeat him time and time again.

The pre-TdF mind games can be entertaining but some of what is being said is really laughable.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

rick james said:
mufana said:
I don't think Froome will win this Tour. He looked anxious at the team presentation. How he grabbed the mic/hand of the presenter during the interview. Very akward moment there. He's not looking good to me.
body language expert are we??

I thought the exact same thing, plenty of awkward nervousness and I'm not entirely sure it's due to not being happy in public eye or in front of people. There's something wrong with this guy's inner chimp.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Do those that aren't Froome's greatest fans, mentally prepare yourself for long efforts in excess of 6.5w/kg. Froome's body fat seems to be ridiculously low

CJDn9jLVAAAh8DH.jpg

SeriousSam said:
Do those that aren't Froome's greatest fans, mentally prepare yourself for long efforts in excess of 6.5w/kg. Froome's body fat seems to be ridiculously low

CJDn9jLVAAAh8DH.jpg

All the body fat will be gone until the Pyrenees. The first human to achieve this which of course isn't accurate because it is debatable if Froome is entirely human.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks like he could've gone faster but he did specifically say he was going into the first week a little down on his usual level to peak for the 3rd week so all in all I think it's just an average time.