Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
cellardoor said:
But the fact is that Froome did lose time to Nibali on that stage, so if anything it should be an example of where Nibali can gain this year. Realistically, it's going to be small chunks of time on stages like that, but it all adds up.
he lost 2 seconds. i don't think he was tossing and turning all night worrying about how to make it up.
Neither did Nibali. He celebrated the win in the last meters, he had no intention to try to increase the gap and there were no bonus seconds. This year you get 10 seconds for the win but the point is Nibali and I bet Contador also will try to exploit any weakness Froome will show and we all know he is weaker when it comes to unpredictable stages, rain, descents, attacks on the flat, classics type of racing, positioning and bike handling.
 
Jun 21, 2009
108
0
0
Froomebag might do okay in the first 9 stages until he is panic stricken and then all hell will break loose and the Sky will fall.
However, I'm sure he has learned much over the year. Then again, the jitters from the Tour itself is enough to dislodge a bowel, never mind doing it on the cobbles...
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

Mongolian Torque said:
Froomebag might do okay in the first 9 stages until he is panic stricken and then all hell will break loose and the Sky will fall.
However, I'm sure he has learned much over the year. Then again, the jitters from the Tour itself is enough to dislodge a bowel, never mind doing it on the cobbles...
I don't now, after seeing him crash durning Fleche i think that the first week will be a nightmare for him.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Singer01 said:
cellardoor said:
But the fact is that Froome did lose time to Nibali on that stage, so if anything it should be an example of where Nibali can gain this year. Realistically, it's going to be small chunks of time on stages like that, but it all adds up.
he lost 2 seconds. i don't think he was tossing and turning all night worrying about how to make it up.
Neither did Nibali. He celebrated the win in the last meters, he had no intention to try to increase the gap and there were no bonus seconds. This year you get 10 seconds for the win but the point is Nibali and I bet Contador also will try to exploit any weakness Froome will show and we all know he is weaker when it comes to unpredictable stages, rain, descents, attacks on the flat, classics type of racing, positioning and bike handling.
Contador will always try to distance Froome anytime he can. If he has to attack on downhill on the rain to expose Froome's weakness, he'll do it. Last year Vuelta when the two clowns messing around with him, he was the only one who he really wanted to distance Froome, even though Froome looked like that he was almost out of contention. Froome can look like he is about to die, just to come back and attack...
 
Re: Re:

SlickMongoose said:
ILovecycling said:
Froome poste a pic of him and some cat :D 2 hours ago, he looks in mighty shape, or at least I hope. :cool:


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIhgbAgUcAQZZPN.jpg:large
That's one hell of a death stare.

''Froome's choice of childhood pets: a pair of baby rock pythons whose diet evolved from mice and rats to rabbits. "It's an interesting fact that snakes won't eat dead food," their erstwhile keeper recalls, and it became his role, while barely into his teens, to supply them with live meals, which they squeezed to death before swallowing whole. The rabbits were often stolen from a hutch at the kindergarten across the road from his family home outside Nairobi. "Young children would arrive at the class next day and their little baby bunny rabbits would be gone," he writes, remembering how the rabbits squealed piteously as the snakes grabbed them and started the coiling process that preceded ingestion. "I felt like intervening and stopping it. But the pythons had to be fed and it was my responsibility."

From The Climb by Chris Froome
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
SlickMongoose said:
ILovecycling said:
Froome poste a pic of him and some cat :D 2 hours ago, he looks in mighty shape, or at least I hope. :cool:


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIhgbAgUcAQZZPN.jpg:large
That's one hell of a death stare.

''Froome's choice of childhood pets: a pair of baby rock pythons whose diet evolved from mice and rats to rabbits. "It's an interesting fact that snakes won't eat dead food," their erstwhile keeper recalls, and it became his role, while barely into his teens, to supply them with live meals, which they squeezed to death before swallowing whole. The rabbits were often stolen from a hutch at the kindergarten across the road from his family home outside Nairobi. "Young children would arrive at the class next day and their little baby bunny rabbits would be gone," he writes, remembering how the rabbits squealed piteously as the snakes grabbed them and started the coiling process that preceded ingestion. "I felt like intervening and stopping it. But the pythons had to be fed and it was my responsibility."

From The Climb by Chris Froome
uhhhhhh...
 
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Rollthedice said:
SlickMongoose said:
ILovecycling said:
Froome poste a pic of him and some cat :D 2 hours ago, he looks in mighty shape, or at least I hope. :cool:


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIhgbAgUcAQZZPN.jpg:large
That's one hell of a death stare.

''Froome's choice of childhood pets: a pair of baby rock pythons whose diet evolved from mice and rats to rabbits. "It's an interesting fact that snakes won't eat dead food," their erstwhile keeper recalls, and it became his role, while barely into his teens, to supply them with live meals, which they squeezed to death before swallowing whole. The rabbits were often stolen from a hutch at the kindergarten across the road from his family home outside Nairobi. "Young children would arrive at the class next day and their little baby bunny rabbits would be gone," he writes, remembering how the rabbits squealed piteously as the snakes grabbed them and started the coiling process that preceded ingestion. "I felt like intervening and stopping it. But the pythons had to be fed and it was my responsibility."

From The Climb by Chris Froome
uhhhhhh...
:(
 
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Mongolian Torque said:
Froomebag might do okay in the first 9 stages until he is panic stricken and then all hell will break loose and the Sky will fall.
However, I'm sure he has learned much over the year. Then again, the jitters from the Tour itself is enough to dislodge a bowel, never mind doing it on the cobbles...
I don't now, after seeing him crash durning Fleche i think that the first week will be a nightmare for him.
Now I agree that the first week will be a nightmare for Froome, just like all the other riders in the bunch.

You shouldn't base this on his crash in Fleche, since 50% of the starters that day crashed.

But ofcourse he'll be nervous as hell and indeed a rider like Nibali seems more comfortable in hectic stages, but Contador has plenty of reasons to be nervous as well and Quintana has to proof himself in the first week of this years TdF.
 
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
SlickMongoose said:
ILovecycling said:
Froome poste a pic of him and some cat :D 2 hours ago, he looks in mighty shape, or at least I hope. :cool:


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIhgbAgUcAQZZPN.jpg:large
That's one hell of a death stare.

''Froome's choice of childhood pets: a pair of baby rock pythons whose diet evolved from mice and rats to rabbits. "It's an interesting fact that snakes won't eat dead food," their erstwhile keeper recalls, and it became his role, while barely into his teens, to supply them with live meals, which they squeezed to death before swallowing whole. The rabbits were often stolen from a hutch at the kindergarten across the road from his family home outside Nairobi. "Young children would arrive at the class next day and their little baby bunny rabbits would be gone," he writes, remembering how the rabbits squealed piteously as the snakes grabbed them and started the coiling process that preceded ingestion. "I felt like intervening and stopping it. But the pythons had to be fed and it was my responsibility."

From The Climb by Chris Froome
Lol.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
ILovecycling said:
Rollthedice said:
SlickMongoose said:
ILovecycling said:
Froome poste a pic of him and some cat :D 2 hours ago, he looks in mighty shape, or at least I hope. :cool:


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIhgbAgUcAQZZPN.jpg:large
That's one hell of a death stare.

''Froome's choice of childhood pets: a pair of baby rock pythons whose diet evolved from mice and rats to rabbits. "It's an interesting fact that snakes won't eat dead food," their erstwhile keeper recalls, and it became his role, while barely into his teens, to supply them with live meals, which they squeezed to death before swallowing whole. The rabbits were often stolen from a hutch at the kindergarten across the road from his family home outside Nairobi. "Young children would arrive at the class next day and their little baby bunny rabbits would be gone," he writes, remembering how the rabbits squealed piteously as the snakes grabbed them and started the coiling process that preceded ingestion. "I felt like intervening and stopping it. But the pythons had to be fed and it was my responsibility."

From The Climb by Chris Froome
uhhhhhh...
:(
hahh fleur :D :D
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Mayomaniac said:
Mongolian Torque said:
Froomebag might do okay in the first 9 stages until he is panic stricken and then all hell will break loose and the Sky will fall.
However, I'm sure he has learned much over the year. Then again, the jitters from the Tour itself is enough to dislodge a bowel, never mind doing it on the cobbles...
I don't now, after seeing him crash durning Fleche i think that the first week will be a nightmare for him.
Now I agree that the first week will be a nightmare for Froome, just like all the other riders in the bunch.

You shouldn't base this on his crash in Fleche, since 50% of the starters that day crashed.

But ofcourse he'll be nervous as hell and indeed a rider like Nibali seems more comfortable in hectic stages, but Contador has plenty of reasons to be nervous as well and Quintana has to proof himself in the first week of this years TdF.
I think Contador will be nervous too. But I am expecting (and hoping) Sky to try to dominate and it all to fall to ratshit when it doesn't go according to plan.

Nibali could fall victim to 'trying too hard' in these stages, IMO. I think these kind of days favour someone on form who takes chances with the feeling there is nothing to lose - they kind of take full commitment, not hesitancy and all the GC contenders will be a bit watchful and hedging bets between trying to win and trying not to lose.

And that bunny may be the cutest thing ever posted on this thread. Certainly isn't anything in the horrible cat picture. Jesus. Who would choose that hideous, sulky, green eyed object?
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
Given Froome was raised and lived in South Africa for so long, shouldn't he be good on bad road like cobbles? I guess he must have spent a LOT of time on bad roads there, with small stones etc.

Just a thought, actually really weird that he isn't a good bike handler.
 
Re:

rm7 said:
Given Froome was raised and lived in South Africa for so long, shouldn't he be good on bad road like cobbles? I guess he must have spent a LOT of time on bad roads there, with small stones etc.

Just a thought, actually really weird that he isn't a good bike handler.
He probably did a lot of that stuff on a mountain bike which makes things a little more bearable. Also he wasn't racing on the roads of Africa. Can't really compare his growing up experience with racing conditions. Also I think the cobbles are much more fierce than african roads.
 
Re:

rm7 said:
Given Froome was raised and lived in South Africa for so long, shouldn't he be good on bad road like cobbles? I guess he must have spent a LOT of time on bad roads there, with small stones etc.

Just a thought, actually really weird that he isn't a good bike handler.
Well, his physique isn't suited the cobbles, I think. We haven't actually see him ride them, though. And he may not be a particularly good bike handler, but neither can I remember proof that he is a bad one. At last year's Tour, he was swept off his bike and then couldn't properly hold his bike, because he had injured his wrist. Please point out any evidence to me that he is abad bike handler.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
F Professional Road Racing 68

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS