• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
markene2 said:
What the hell has happend to his face in the last years??
Good question.
giro-trophy-4.png

Hog posted this on his twitter and I thought it was photoshopped but it isn't :confused: :eek:

Porte looks like he's 50 here.
Talk about accelerated life experience.

I don't know if strength is what matters on the cobbles (amongst the GC guys). I think it's a fearless approach to racing them, preparation, bike handling skills and technique. Nibali has already demonstrated that he possesses all four of these qualities.

I think the time gaps amongst the Big 4 will be

Nibali

Contador

Froome
Quintana

Re:

greenedge said:
I don't know if strength is what matters on the cobbles (amongst the GC guys). I think it's a fearless approach to racing them, preparation, bike handling skills and technique. Nibali has already demonstrated that he possesses all four of these qualities.

I think the time gaps amongst the Big 4 will be

Nibali

Contador

Froome
Quintana

Hinault has always said : when it comes to cobbles like in PR for example . Luck is part of what you need on your side... riding them is a lottery

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

cantpedal said:
ILovecycling said:
rm7 said:
I have this feeling that Froome will fly over the cobbles from front like a motorbike ! just a feeling haha..
with 130rpm on top of that :D
Why is it in these forums the contributions from the fanboys are so childish. What do you get from trolling your own forums? It's like rioters who burn their own neighborhoods. I don't get it.
what is so trolling in that sentense lol...It was just funny pointing out his riding style, on which btw he himself makes jokes :rolleyes:
I quite like Dawg in recent years, I found out that he is very entertaining cyclist for me

Re: cobbles

rm7 said:
I have this feeling that Froome will fly over the cobbles from front like a motorbike ! just a feeling haha..

I think Froome may want to alter his tiny gear overspin peddling style and lower his saddle a little when he hits the cobbles otherwise his nards are going to take a beating.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Froome still does not think the GC race starts until stage 10.

"You’ve almost got to do nine one-day classics before then starting the GC race up in the mountains. And before you get through those nine Classics, you’re not even entered for the GC race in that regard."

By that time last year Nibali already had 2 to 4 minutes on: Porte, Contador, Bardet, Valverde and Pinot. He still does not see the early stages as an opportunity, just survival. Big mistake.

Re:

Psalmon said:

"You’ve almost got to do nine one-day classics before then starting the GC race up in the mountains. And before you get through those nine Classics, you’re not even entered for the GC race in that regard."

By that time last year Nibali already had 2 to 4 minutes on: Porte, Contador, Bardet, Valverde and Pinot. He still does not see the early stages as an opportunity, just survival. Big mistake.

I think that's realistic for him though. For him it is all about survival. He will thrive in the mountains were it is easier for his team to control things. Of course this is great for someone like Nibbes.

Re:

Psalmon said:

Froome is built and trained to go supersonic on the mountains and whatever TT is needed while looking anorexic. He is a big zero when it comes to classics type of stages with the only goal to survive and limit his loses. Of course that's where riders inferior to him in brute watts/kilo force will try to attack him from any position. Last year Nibali succeeded and Froome didn't survive to even contest the cobbles. Maybe this year he will somehow get through.

Rollthedice said:
Psalmon said:

Froome is built and trained to go supersonic on the mountains and whatever TT is needed while looking anorexic. He is a big zero when it comes to classics type of stages with the only goal to survive and limit his loses. Of course that's where riders inferior to him in brute watts/kilo force will try to attack him from any position. Last year Nibali succeeded and Froome didn't survive to even contest the cobbles. Maybe this year he will somehow get through.

This is true, but no totally true.

If you look at this stage:

Stage_2_Tour_2014_profile.png

It is a similar profile to a Liege.. I dont remember how was raced, but at the end of the last climb this was the situation:

SPTDW331.jpg

Although finally Nibali won that stage with an strong attack, but he wanst at the begining as favourite as is today.

I saw yesterday again that stage... SKY did a great job for Froome, especially Thomas, but he was always on the front.. it wanst exactly as a clasicc, but Pierre Roland attacked from an small group just before the last hard climb,. where froome showed he was strong, and later froome jumped with another rider to get Nibali...

Froome knows the first stages are going to be as classics,

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-every-day-is-like-a-classic-during-the-first-week-of-tour-de-france

And I think he is ready for that.

Re:

cellardoor said:
But the fact is that Froome did lose time to Nibali on that stage, so if anything it should be an example of where Nibali can gain this year. Realistically, it's going to be small chunks of time on stages like that, but it all adds up.

he lost 2 seconds. i don't think he was tossing and turning all night worrying about how to make it up.

TRENDING THREADS