• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
gotta say a situation with wiggo winner of maglia rosa coming in le tour facing froomey is very appealing. i'd really like to see what the hell would happen then.

i think wiggo will be the 1st pick for sky because well he's the knight plus giro d'italia winner so everyone should support him to do something that didn't happen since il pirata. i'm sure of this,brailsford will give wiggo's the green light
but somehow i still think chris will put a devastating attack letting everyone behind on bonascre already. and after that, it will be total war until paris inside sky
should be fun :D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Objectively, Froome and Wiggins are 2 strongest GT riders for today

Froome, yes. Definately the strongest at the momemt. Am not so sure about Wiggo. The comepetition in the Tour was weak and the route favored him. If he wins the Giro though, he will have proven himself.

This internal team fight makes me think of the Armstrong/Bertie fight for leadership. Tbh I think this will really motivate Froome to show every one who is best on the first MTF, especially since the first mountains come before the first TT. It will be interesting to see Wiggo vs. Froome on those two 30 km ITTs.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
leftover pie said:
i think as much as froome would like it, he's not british like wiggo is british, he's faux-british like KP and due to this he will be tossed aside like yesterday's news if wiggo wins the giro and decides he wants to win the TDF as well. chris whooome?

I'll take a bite:

Wasn't Bradley Wiggins born in Belgium...

SeriousSam said:
Do we really believe Wiggins has become good enough to win the Giro and the Tour?

well, I do.

The target was always unavoidable imo, but a suffocated Giro will be needed to get close to the goal. A very hard Giro (read: raced from 1st week), will take Wiggins out of contention in 2nd week of the Tour is my guess.

Soft Giro = Sir Wiggo's double (even the Triple Crown) is a go.

Wiggins is such a ******.

Froome has sacrificed two GT wins already for him, the hubris to demand a third is just incredible.

And in the middle of the season to boot. If he had said that half a year ago, maybe Froome could have been the leader for the Giro instead.

spalco said:

Froome has sacrificed two GT wins already for him, the hubris to demand a third is just incredible.

And in the middle of the season to boot. If he had said that half a year ago, maybe Froome could have been the leader for the Giro instead.

He actually did already say that quite a while ago.

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
TdF Leader

It's not good business for either Sky or the TdF for the current yellow jersey holder to say something along the lines of 'I'm going to enter to help someone else win'.

Wiggins has been upfront and used the same message (cue someone providing an article proving otherwise) from the end of last year's TdF. Namely that it is up to D Brailsford to decide, and that he'll do what he's told (whether that's true or not is tbc)

If anything, Froome having to come out and continually confirm his leadership undermines him in my view. He ought to keep schtum and focus on putting the performance in during the TdF.

In my view Brailsford will tell Froome he's the leader, tell Wiggins to show his form and tell the team to support both until one looks like winning. Whether the Sky team can support both is to be seen, but with what happened to Wiggins in 2011 I think DB would like to keep both riders on the road. He's also got an eye on the Giro result I'm sure.

double bollox

spalco said:

just what i was going to post! where is DB ..........my first thought is that

he should tell wiggo to stfu

he's not stupid is he letting things continue knowing the extra publicity is

good?

i hope that behind the scenes he is reassuring chris

Mark L

Can't see anything wrong with what Wiggins is saying ? He's just saying that if everything goes to plan they'll go in the TDF with two leaders (who wouldn't with the current TOP 2 GT riders in the world ?!) and let the road decide.

Worse comes to worse for Froome, Wiggins won't help him (he will though like in the 2011 Vuelta...was a bit late though)...so that would be 3Km less than Froome in the 2012 TDF, big deal ! Besides they managed without Suitsou who crashed early last year so with 8 teammates Froome should be fine.

Yeah right, DB is going to tell Sir BW, national hero, defending champion, to stay home so that some crazy woman has her way? Assuming that were even a remote possibility, what happens if Froome crashes in the first week?

WTF is wrong with that woman...and with Froome for putting up with her ?! He's going to get his @ss fired if he goes on like that. As if the showboating and big fail on the Vuelta (yes I know he was tired, but he also raced like crap) wasn't enough ?!

Sky Rise

BANNED
Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
spalco said:

Totally agree.

I like Wiggins and Froome but Wiggins needs to shut his gob and get his enormous ego in check.

Froome is the best GT cyclist on the planet and Wiggins has the brass neck to want the Giro and Tour and jib Froome off again, its an absolute joke.

I hope it kicks off in France with team orders getting ignored and Froome trouncing him in the mountains, i'ld fancy he could really embarrass Brad in the mountains if it came to it.

TRENDING THREADS