• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 283 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Merckx knows nothing about current cycling. Not knowing Aru. Djeeezzz.

However, he's right about Quintana. Nairo wins big races because he's the best climber. Contador wins races because he's the best climber and always find a way to dethrone better riders at that particular moment. That's the biggest difference. Quintana has the mindset of a great climber, Contador has the mindset of a great champion. Someone who can find multiple ways to win a race.

But Contador has to be better next year to beat Froome at le Tour. If he's in 2015 shape, he's doesn't stand a chance. If he can return to 2014 form, he will win that bike race. Period.

Vamos Alberto!!!

And I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas get 2nd on Arcalis next year like Porte did on the first MTF in 2013 and 2015. But Porte himself will not be a threat. I don't think he will be able to adapt to a new team. Where Froome appears to be thoughtful and judicious man, Porte comes from a clueless person with below average intelligence in interviews.

I wish people would get it into their heads that it's not Sky fault for absolutely destroying the rest on the first MTF. It's the rest of the teams for being unprepared and letting it happen.

As I stated before, I think Aru will get the closest to match Froome in the mountains. He has that kick which Quintana lacks. He will be a lot better to respond to Froome's attacks.

Re:

Arredondo said:

However, he's right about Quintana. Nairo wins big races because he's the best climber. Contador wins races because he's the best climber and always find a way to dethrone better riders at that particular moment. That's the biggest difference. Quintana has the mindset of a great climber, Contador has the mindset of a great champion. Someone who can find multiple ways to win a race.

But Contador has to be better next year to beat Froome at le Tour. If he's in 2015 shape, he's doesn't stand a chance. If he can return to 2014 form, he will win that bike race. Period.

Vamos Alberto!!!

If Alberto can hang on to Froome on the first MTF, I'd say he has already won the Tour. But the fact of the matter is that he can't. He is simply too old and Froome has a team unlike Contador.

Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
Arredondo said:

Vamos Alberto!!!

If Alberto can hang on to Froome on the first MTF, I'd say he has already won the Tour. But the fact of the matter is that he can't. He is simply too old and Froome has a team unlike Contador.
Why do all these Sky fans always state opinion or hunch/feeling as fact?

LaFlorecita said:
WheelofGear said:
Arredondo said:

Vamos Alberto!!!

Because you guys said the same thing last year. Contador, Quintana and the rest of the gang are definitely going to step up against Froome, he is bad on the cobbles, etc. Just look at what happened. Froome won comfortably, even when he was sick in the third week.

The exactly same thing will happen next year. Froome is likely to allow Quintana to gain a little time in the final weak when his lead is big.

Riders who say that they should be fresh for the final weekend are delusional. Grand Tours are mostly about the first and second week, not the last one.

Jspear said:
pastronef said:

Thanks for posting...that is so cool. I wonder how productive that training was. :)

they are about 2-3 kms from the top there. so no big deal in slowing down for a few minutes while the sheeps walk away, I dont think they go full gas on Madone in December (I mean the riders, not the sheeps :D )

LaFlorecita said:
dacooley said:
lol, unpromising prediction for the boards.
Just ask Jens_attacks. Merckx is never right, he probably jinxed Froome now, lol.
Really, his comment about Aru shows how much value there is in his comments.
well, it's not unreasonable to rate froome as the biggest tour de france 2016 favorite, to put it very mindly. what is more, that's the most obvious point a view. an year ago many people were contemplating about bertie's double accomplishment, draw scenarios, paid attention to weakenesses of the opponents. froomey's 2016 tour mission is much more reachable. i sincerely don't get what's wrong with that. if you really see the reasons why froome can't win the tour, please elaborate

WheelofGear said:
Arredondo said:

Vamos Alberto!!!

Offt Bertie fans boys will hate you.....Even though you are correct :D

WheelofGear said:
LaFlorecita said:
WheelofGear said:
Arredondo said:

Vamos Alberto!!!

Because you guys said the same thing last year. Contador, Quintana and the rest of the gang are definitely going to step up against Froome, he is bad on the cobbles, etc. Just look at what happened. Froome won comfortably, even when he was sick in the third week.

The exactly same thing will happen next year. Froome is likely to allow Quintana to gain a little time in the final weak when his lead is big.

Riders who say that they should be fresh for the final weekend are delusional. Grand Tours are mostly about the first and second week, not the last one.

Of course Froome beat AC in the Tour....AC had raced the Giro. The only fact in this particular discussion is that you and I can't predict what is actually going to happen. We've seen Froome beat AC, yes, but any honest cycling fan knows in 2013 he wasn't at his best. Of course that doesn't take away Froomes win. 2015 was the Giro. We were robbed of a 2014 showdown, but perhaps you don't even like to look at that year because AC was better...

Re:

Arredondo said:

Vamos Alberto!!!

little amendment: if he can return to 2014 form, he will win that bike race against the 2014 version of froome, if that will be enough against froome of 2016 edition is unknown. Your 'period' is quite hasty.

Jspear said:
WheelofGear said:
LaFlorecita said:
WheelofGear said:
Arredondo said:

Vamos Alberto!!!

Of course Froome beat AC in the Tour....AC had raced the Giro. The only fact in this particular discussion is that you and I can't predict what is actually going to happen. We've seen Froome beat AC, yes, but any honest cycling fan knows in 2013 he wasn't at his best. Of course that doesn't take away Froomes win. 2015 was the Giro. We were robbed of a 2014 showdown, but perhaps you don't even like to look at that year because AC was better...
let's be honest, from my perspective the 2015 tour was quite showing and demonstrated that, yes, bertie still can win the tour, BUT even perfectly fit, rested ac will have big trouble with beating quintana and froome. bertie's on par with them but victory in the tour will require a giant effort from him. initially i considered probability of pulling off the double extremely low. had contador destroyed the field in the vuelta 2015 as he did in the 2011 giro, i would understand an attempt to make the giro-tour double..well that was a bizzarre decision to me.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Froome runs out of steam in the third week. If Quintana & Contador don't lose lot of time, they can beat him then. However that is easier said than done.
"Runs out" means take it easy because he already know that he has won. When you have a 4 min gap, things are under control. Allowing Quintana to gain a minute means nothing.

But if Contador, Quintana, etc. really think that it's all about in the third week, then more power to them. That's how they have lost the race twice for now.

If they really want to win, they have to stay with him on the first MTF. Otherwise: Game Over.

WheelofGear said:
IndianCyclist said:
Froome runs out of steam in the third week. If Quintana & Contador don't lose lot of time, they can beat him then. However that is easier said than done.
"Runs out" means take it easy because he already know that he has won. When you have a 4 min gap, things are under control. Allowing Quintana to gain a minute means nothing.

But if Contador, Quintana, etc. really think that it's all about in the third week, then more power to them. That's how they have lost the race twice for now.

If they really want to win, they have to stay with him on the first MTF. Otherwise: Game Over.

That is NOT how AC lost the race twice and you should know that.

all the seasons are different. all the big guns still grind away and learn from mistakes made in the past. bertie messed up his build-up in 2013, changed his head coach and became by far the strongest gc rider in 2014. froome was fading in the third week in 2013 and 2015 tours, however i'm 100% convinced he'll do his best to rectify the situation in 2016, so time will tell.

dacooley said:
let's be honest, from my perspective the 2015 tour was quite showing and demonstrated that, yes, bertie still can win the tour, BUT even perfectly fit, rested ac will have big trouble with beating quintana and froome. bertie's on par with them but victory in the tour will require a giant effort from him. initially i considered probability of pulling off the double extremely low. had contador destroyed the field in the vuelta 2015 as he did in the 2011 giro, i would understand an attempt to make the giro-tour double..well that was a bizzarre decision to me.

This goes for Froome and Quintana as well.

Re:

dacooley said:
all the seasons are different. all the big guns still grind away and learn from mistakes made in the past. bertie messed up his build-up in 2013, changed his head coach and became by far the strongest gc rider in 2014. froome was fading in the third week in 2013 and 2015 tours, however i'm 100% convinced he'll do his best to rectify the situation in 2016, so time will tell.

Ultimately this is the only fact in this discussion. :)

TRENDING THREADS