• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 360 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
This is subjective. However I cannot give Froome currently the Title of Greatest Gt Rider in his Generation. IMHO he has to win a 3 Gt's at some point to go in that rarefied air.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Alexandre B. said:
LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
Apparently in his press conference Froome said he wants to target Tour for the next 6/7 years, and he won't do the Giro next year, as well as he is less certain now it he will do Vuelta.
May the Lord protect us
I am crying.

Don't worry. He'll be to old, he won't last that long.
mourning

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Who's going to win the Tour de France in 2017? According one bookmaker, Froome is the overwhelming favourite. The top 3 are:

Froome: 1.5
Quintana: 4.75
Porte: 8.5

Looks to be an accurate ranking with the information at our disposal.

SeriousSam said:
Who's going to win the Tour de France in 2017? According one bookmaker, Froome is the overwhelming favourite. The top 3 are:

hilarious thing sam is that for this once no one is going to argue with you. froome's win was convincing.

SeriousSam said:

Well, he does take 2 in 3. And there's that 1 in 4 splitting the row.
Other odds follow interval of domination.

Froome preparing for the Olympics and Vuelta:
369628DD00000578-0-image-a-12_1469485173363.jpg

3696236D00000578-0-image-a-10_1469485161172.jpg

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
Anybody has prediction who will be in Froomes train in Vuelta? Froome desperatly needs to beat Conti here otherwise half of the forum will never admit he is 3 times TDF champ :)

Kennuagh said on ITV that he was planning to go the vuelta. I suspect kwiat will go, Konig, Roche too.

SKSemtex said:
Anybody has prediction who will be in Froomes train in Vuelta? Froome desperatly needs to beat Conti here otherwise half of the forum will never admit he is 3 times TDF champ :)
I've yet to see somebody deny that.

Train is also approximately 62.4% less important in the Vuelta. Maybe more. I calculated that using science.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

tretiak said:
warmfuzzies said:
How many more Tours can Froome win? If he gets 1 more, he's got to be in consideration for greatest stage racer of his generation.

The day he won all three GT , he can consider himself as this. It is not everyone who manage peak in different parts of the season.

There's the most prestigious GT that the best-of-the-best compete to win, then there's the Giro (2nd place on the GT podium, some really good riders target this every year), then there's the consolation prize in Spain. You know who's got the most Vuelta wins? A superdomestique, Roberto Heras.

When you win 3 TdF's, you're in the 'greatest stage racer of your generation conversation'. Vuelta wins matter little, unless you think Roberto Heras is the greatest of his generation.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

warmfuzzies said:
tretiak said:
warmfuzzies said:
How many more Tours can Froome win? If he gets 1 more, he's got to be in consideration for greatest stage racer of his generation.

The day he won all three GT , he can consider himself as this. It is not everyone who manage peak in different parts of the season.

There's the most prestigious GT that the best-of-the-best compete to win, then there's the Giro (2nd place on the GT podium, some really good riders target this every year), then there's the consolation prize in Spain. You know who's got the most Vuelta wins? A superdomestique, Roberto Heras.

When you win 3 TdF's, you're in the 'greatest stage racer of your generation conversation'. Vuelta wins matter little, unless you think Roberto Heras is the greatest of his generation.

You can't compare the Vuelta of the early 2000s with the Vuelta of the last few years. It has a much better and more international field nowadays. Back in the early 2000s the top tens of the Vuelta consisted of mainly Spanish riders. The situation is very different now. Roberto Heras was also only a superdomestique for 3 years (and only once did he win the Vuelta in that period). He was a leader in all the other years. He has two top tens in the Tour and a top ten in the Giro.

Pretty sure Vuelta's would matter more had Froome won it a time or two. We're all biased, no matter how much we like to think we're objective, and if you rate the Tour so highly, sure, he'd be the best TdF rider of his generation. If we're discussing all GT's, I think we have to take them all into account. Personally, I dislike the fact that he's never even tried to win the Giro. That doesn't do him any favours in my book. But he tried in the Vuelta, and hasn't won it as of yet. Note, I do think the Tour should be rated slightly higher, but I also think winning them all is a big + as well. I'm not gonna rate a rider who's won one unique GT higher than a rider who won them all, and won almost twice* as much GT's in total, no matter how many TdF's you win. If you rate the Tour so highly, just being the best TdF rider of a generation should be enough for you.

For now he's the best GT rider since december '84 for me.

Also, discussing it now is like grading a movie after watching the first hour of it.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Another Tour victory is usually (as always, it depends on the context under which the race is won) much more impressive than winning either of the other two GTs and it's not even close. When Armstrong had those 6 Tours, winning a 7th still did much more for his palmares than a Giro or Vuelta would have.

There's a reason most of Contador's non Tour victories are a result of circumstances preventing his participation at the Tour.

Red Rick said:
SKSemtex said:
I've yet to see somebody deny that.

Train is also approximately 62.4% less important in the Vuelta. Maybe more. I calculated that using science.

You are right. I should have said "otherwise 3/4 of the forum will never admit he is better then Conti :) ".
If Conti wins here mano a mano we are where we were before the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS