• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 380 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re:

TeflonDub said:
When the gap was 15 seconds, Contador especially and even Quintana were bursting a gut taking turns at the front to build the gap. Froome was sitting seventh wheel behind Valverde and another Movistar (Erviti?) freewheeling, knowing full well that there wasn't nearly enough pace being set by his doms at the front to get him closer. And so he sat. And sat. And sat.

Sorry, guys, the crash wasn't the reason he got left behind. Spending his time on the radio calling Amazon to order some new domestiques while he lolly-gagged is why he got left behind. But maybe all that time on the radio wasn't all for nought, as he did manage to get some help from Team Skyzakhstan. Otherwise he would have lost 4mins.+

Good post and Team Skyzakhstan should be asame of themselves. Riding their ass for a 6:th place or worse.

Seems like he will finish 2nd again, I'm sure this time it'll hurt even more than on previous occasions, but it would still be a great result after winning the Tour. He won a stage and has a chance to grab one or two more, with two uphill finishes and a TT to go. Who will be his greatest challenger for the time trial? I'd assume Castroviejo but he might be tired by now.

Re: Re:

tretiak said:
TeflonDub said:
When the gap was 15 seconds, Contador especially and even Quintana were bursting a gut taking turns at the front to build the gap. Froome was sitting seventh wheel behind Valverde and another Movistar (Erviti?) freewheeling, knowing full well that there wasn't nearly enough pace being set by his doms at the front to get him closer. And so he sat. And sat. And sat.

Sorry, guys, the crash wasn't the reason he got left behind. Spending his time on the radio calling Amazon to order some new domestiques while he lolly-gagged is why he got left behind. But maybe all that time on the radio wasn't all for nought, as he did manage to get some help from Team Skyzakhstan. Otherwise he would have lost 4mins.+

Good post and Team Skyzakhstan should be asame of themselves. Riding their *** for a 6:th place or worse.

I don't really get this guys... why isn't any team allowed to drive whatever purpose they select in competitive sport? The slot where Scarponi is will give them WT points, which means money. Why should they be ashamed to drive for something that any team would feel important? Other than of course because all the haters of Froome and fans of AC/Nairo thinks they should be ashamed?

bambino said:
tretiak said:
TeflonDub said:

Good post and Team Skyzakhstan should be asame of themselves. Riding their *** for a 6:th place or worse.

I don't really get this guys... why isn't any team allowed to drive whatever purpose they select in competitive sport? The slot where Scarponi is will give them WT points, which means money. Why should they be ashamed to drive for something that any team would feel important? Other than of course because all the haters of Froome and fans of AC/Nairo thinks they should be ashamed?

Blaming Astana for doing their own race is simply ridiculous.
They didn't have anyone in the breakaway and Scarponi was risking his sport in the top 10.

But for all the Sky haters (and I'm definitely not a Sky fan) Astana teaming up with Froome was a capital sin. Unthinkable!

When you read that it didn't make any sense for Astana to take pulls only to protect Scarponi's GC position, well, that says it all. Either you race to win the Vuelta or you stay at home. Just wondering what 199 - 1 guys are doing there... :lol:

They didn't have anyone in the breakaway and Scarponi was risking his sport in the top 10.

But for all the Sky haters (and I'm definitely not a Sky fan) Astana teaming up with Froome was a capital sin. Unthinkable!

When you read that it didn't make any sense for Astana to take pulls only to protect Scarponi's GC position, well, that says it all. Either you race to win the Vuelta or you stay at home. Just wondering what 199 - 1 guys are doing there... :lol:

I think you miss something. Astana knew that Froome had something to loose aswell. But they did not ask him to colaborate :rolleyes:

Or did I miss that????????

Re:

spalco said:
Froome was cooked, maybe mentally more than physically, but if he could have taken more pulls he would have.

He had only took one hard push in the beginning of the stage. Did he crack already in the beginning.
I did not see any Astana riders talking to Froome about colaborating. So how would they know that he was cooked?
But he was not so cooked in the final climb.

Is he really so easy to crack mentally.

tretiak said:

I think you miss something. Astana knew that Froome had something to loose aswell. But they did not ask him to colaborate :rolleyes:

Or did I miss that????????

And so what? Aren't they allowed to do that if they want? Why should they be ashamed for that?

Why did Tinkoff make monsterous pulls in front and didn't ask Quintana or Brambilla to collaborate?

tretiak said:
Why did Tinkoff make monsterous pulls in front and didn't ask Quintana or Brambilla to collaborate?

Do you mean in the beginning of the stage or?

During the flat of course, but that's not the point. The point is, why isn't Astana allowed to drive for Scarponi's top 10 spot while i.e. Tinkoff was clearly driving for Contador's podium spot and not Vuelta win? After all, some hyped Spanish rider himself has said that only winning matters.

bambino said:
tretiak said:

During the flat of course.

To put time on the chasing group.
But do you actually mean that Movistar riders in the break didn't collaborate?
You don't have to collaborate every singel km.

And Brambilla, they could not count on him. He was just there for the stage win.

Froome didn't do anything before the final climb (except in the beginning). Even his descending skills was gone.

tretiak said:
bambino said:
tretiak said:

And Brambilla, they could not count on him. He was just there for the stage win.

Froome didn't do anything before the final climb (except in the beginning). Even his descending skills was gone.

Read the rest of the post that I edited. You are missing the point of discussion which is why Astana is not allowed to drive hard for Scarponi's Top 10 place if they feel it important? Or drive hard for whatever other reason they fancy. It is their own choice.

bambino said:
tretiak said:
bambino said:
tretiak said:

Read the rest of the post that I edited. You are missing the point of discussion which is why Astana is not allowed to drive hard for Scarponi's Top 10 place if they feel it important? Or drive hard for whatever other reason they fancy. It is their own choice.

I did see now that you edited you post.

They are free to do what they want. But not even try to make Froome collaborate is strange, that's my point.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

bambino said:
tretiak said:

During the flat of course, but that's not the point. The point is, why isn't Astana allowed to drive for Scarponi's top 10 spot while i.e. Tinkoff was clearly driving for Contador's podium spot and not Vuelta win? After all, some hyped Spanish rider himself has said that only winning matters.

If Astana was so concerned with protecting Scarponi's top 10 spot why wouldn't they have pulled right from the start ?

If Tinkoff doesn't pull , the break doesn't succeed and AC is in much worse shape GC wise than he is now . As has been said, when you're behind so many riders you can't pass them all at once .

Burying Froome was just an added bonus .

It is not the first time teams makes allies. I don't feel that is strange, happens all the time. To me the only strange thing people see in this is that it LOOKED like they helped Froome. If that would've been Contador or Nairo in that position the whole forum would've appraised how fantastic Astana was to help on the fight against Sky dominance.

And for the record, I'm far from a fan of Froome and/or Sky, but I just can't tolerate people bashing teams/riders trying to elevate races for whatever reason they fancy just because they seemed helping someone the rest of the cycling world doesn't like.

red zone said:
bambino said:
tretiak said:

If Astana was so concerned with protecting Scarponi's top 10 spot why wouldn't they have pulled right from the start ?

If Tinkoff doesn't pull , the break doesn't succeed and AC is in much worse shape GC wise than he is now . As has been said, when you're behind so many riders you can't pass them all at once .

Noticed that the original plan of sucking Orica's/Sky's wheels was not bringing the break back? I would thought that would've been cleaver plan and would've left Scarponi and their doms really fresh for the last climb. Didn't work though and they had to pull.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

bambino said:
red zone said:
bambino said:
tretiak said:

Noticed that the original plan of sucking Orica's/Sky's wheels was not bringing the break back? I would thought that would've been cleaver plan and would've left Scarponi and their doms really fresh for the last climb. Didn't work though and they had to pull.

wheel sucking would have been a clever plan for what purpose exactly ? he wasn't going to win the stage and why let the gap get to close to 3 mins before they decide to work to protect Scarponi's top 10 ?

you're spinning yourself silly trying to come up with reasons why Astana started to pull and you're making yourself look foolish

[/quote]

wheel sucking would have been a clever plan for what purpose exactly ? he wasn't going to win the stage and why let the gap get to close to 3 mins before they decide to work to protect Scarponi's top 10 ?

you're spinning yourself silly trying to come up with reasons why Astana started to pull and you're making yourself look foolish[/quote]

When your arguments ends, you will attack the writer behind opinions, classy.

Maybe you should ask Scarponi himself who apparently (stage thread) gave an interview saying he ordered Astana to pull to get the break back and gain places. Oh well, I'm the silly and foolish anyway.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

you're spinning yourself silly trying to come up with reasons why Astana started to pull and you're making yourself look foolish[/quote]

Maybe you should ask Scarponi himself who apparently (stage thread) gave an interview saying he ordered Astana to pull to get the break back and gain places. Oh well, I'm the silly and foolish anyway.[/quote]

Scarponi actually dropped a spot in the overall GC .

The question isn't why they pulled to protect Scarponi's top 10 but why wait so long if that was they goal ?

red zone said:

you're spinning yourself silly trying to come up with reasons why Astana started to pull and you're making yourself look foolish

Maybe you should ask Scarponi himself who apparently (stage thread) gave an interview saying he ordered Astana to pull to get the break back and gain places. Oh well, I'm the silly and foolish anyway.[/quote]

Scarponi actually dropped a spot in the overall GC .

The question isn't why they pulled to protect Scarponi's top 10 but why wait so long if that was they goal ?[/quote]

No clue mate, go and ask them. The whole argument tho wasn't that. The argument was about Astana apparently should feel ashamed driving for Scarponi's 9th place. I think they are still allowed by the rules of cycling to do that, and Scarponi said himself that was why they pushed. Whether they did that earlier or later is not the point and was probably bad tactics.

Why is it so hard for people to believe that Top 10 spot could actually hugely matter for a guy who is very soon 37 year old and as been by surprise granted his potentially last chance in his remaining career to drive as the leader of the team in GT?

Really OT for Froome's thread, stopping here and now.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
On a day where Froome was below his best and needed the support of his team, he didn't get it.

I guess this means he's human after all.

Froome should have been glued to Quntana's wheel right from the start and had he been he wouldn't have needed his team to try to pace him back .

and Froome's very human when he isn't being supported by his "tour team"

tretiak said:
TeflonDub said:

Clipboard_zpsrktpiyer.jpg

This is a frame from around that time - post any crash - when OBE and Sky did not work
enough to pull back 12s

TRENDING THREADS