• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 390 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re:

staubsauger said:
1. The Vuelta ain't no real gt
2. Winning in the 90's against all those mutants was actually more difficult. Most record times on cols are from that era for a reason.
3. Pantani won Giro & Tour by sheer power. Cracking both Ullrich and Zülle on his own.

recovering was also easier, whatever people are saying.

froome feat from this year is absolutely historic and deserves a lot of praise.

and by the way zulle was blocked my a cortico overdose in the giro and lost 40 minutes and ullrich cracked in the freezing rain.

of course i still rate pantani's double above froome but c'mon give this guy some respect.

Yes after contador's failed attempts i thought it's impossible but now i changed my mind. Nairo and froome could do it with some luck

The thing that makes giro-tour more difficult than tour-vuelta is without a doubt the risk of getting sick in the giro, can't avoid cold weather and rain.

Unfortunately neither froome or nairo will try it until they will conquer their nemesis, vuelta and tour

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
Yes after contador's failed attempts i thought it's impossible but now i changed my mind. Nairo and froome could do it with some luck

The thing that makes giro-tour more difficult than tour-vuelta is without a doubt the risk of getting sick in the giro, can't avoid cold weather and rain.

Unfortunately neither froome or nairo will try it until they will conquer their nemesis, vuelta and tour
What are you talking about? Contador never tried tour-vuelta.

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
jens_attacks said:

What are you talking about? Contador never tried tour-vuelta.

Giro-tour.

jens_attacks said:
staubsauger said:
1. The Vuelta ain't no real gt
2. Winning in the 90's against all those mutants was actually more difficult. Most record times on cols are from that era for a reason.
3. Pantani won Giro & Tour by sheer power. Cracking both Ullrich and Zülle on his own.

recovering was also easier, whatever people are saying.

froome feat from this year is absolutely historic and deserves a lot of praise.

and by the way zulle was blocked my a cortico overdose in the giro and lost 40 minutes and ullrich cracked in the freezing rain.

of course i still rate pantani's double above froome but c'mon give this guy some respect.
That's why they ain't got no rest days at the 1998 Giro d'Italia!

Ullrich cracked in the freezing rain, because Pantani and Leblanc slaughtered him. They absolutely squeezed him psychologically and physically that day!

Zülle lost time prior to his knock already from my memory!? Anyway Tonkov was a big deal at the Giro in the 90s as well.

Nowhere I discredited Froome. I simply protect Pantanis legacy because his 1998 palmares certainly's much bigger than Froome's 2016 season.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Why does everybody forget the absolutely crucial role that Kelme (Escartín and Serrano in particular) played on the day Pantani dethroned Ullrich? Someone else's team tactics were immensely important for Pantani's ultimate victory.

hrotha said:
staubsauger said:
Why does everybody forget the absolutely crucial role that Kelme (Escartín and Serrano in particular) played on the day Pantani dethroned Ullrich? Someone else's team tactics were immensely important for Pantani's ultimate victory.
Cofidis had Christophe Riblon up the road as well.

Still Ullrich eventually payed the check for covering multiple attacks by Leblanc since he ain't got no response left once Pantani took off!

staubsauger said:
hrotha said:
staubsauger said:

Still Ullrich eventually payed the check for covering multiple attacks by Leblanc since he ain't got no response left once Pantani took off!
You mean Rinero. :D

Alexandre B. said:
staubsauger said:
hrotha said:
staubsauger said:

You mean Rinero. :D
Oh my gosh. Of course I do! :redface: :lol:

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I'm sure you could find plenty of posts from the past 5 years saying that winning consecutive grand tours is practically impossible in the modern era. So for Froome and Quintana to suddenly change everyone's opinion on that this year, that is truly monumental
People never were so sure about Tour-Vuelta though. And I'm still pretty sure even Froome wouldn't be able to win the Giro-Tour double.

Gigs_98 said:
PremierAndrew said:
I'm sure you could find plenty of posts from the past 5 years saying that winning consecutive grand tours is practically impossible in the modern era. So for Froome and Quintana to suddenly change everyone's opinion on that this year, that is truly monumental
People never were so sure about Tour-Vuelta though. And I'm still pretty sure even Froome wouldn't be able to win the Giro-Tour double.

I do not agree.
it is precisely the vuelta 2016 to say that the double is possible: Froomey: 1° -2° , Quintana 3° - 1 °
If BOTH participating in two consecutive GT, they can do it. Right now they do not have opponents who can counter them effectively. We saw Chaves: 2nd in the Tour and third in the Vuelta. Although it was fresh, he rested and trained is NEVER managed to put them in difficulty

People were always like, if Contador can't do it, nobody can!

And thats probably a wrong assessment. Peak Froome has better chances of doing Giro-Tour than Contador IMO. I think he has shown he can cope with two GT's extremely well, even in an Olympic year. He is very good at measuring his efforts, not necessarily doing more than he needs to, contrary to Contador in 2011.

I would've loved to see how Froome would've done in the Vuelta if he had actually been pushed in the Tour. If anyone can do it right now, it's Quintana, and he'd need everything to fall into place. Contador could've done it 2009-2011, but his only attempt had a lot of things not going his way. 2015 wasn't gonna happen, though I think he could've done better if he hadn't crashed in the Giro and would've ridden Route du Sud.

Ofcourse hell can freeze over and his competition in the Tour could crash out, miss peak or something, but Froome would need a lot more luck in the Tour for a double then Quintana would.

Gigs_98 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Depends on the competition he faces. I reckon it may well have been possible this year, given how bad Quintana was at the Tour. Kruijswijk would have pushed Froome hard in the Giro but then he fell anyway, so you know...

There's no doubt that Froome would need luck on his side to do a Giro-Tour double. It's still debatable as to whether Froome can win the Giro, let alone the double, given the weather. His stage win in Romandie however suggests he'll be fine, and he definitely seems to have seriously upped his descending and bike handling skills (yeah he crashed on the white line on Finault, but he did gap everyone but Nibs on a wet descent when chasing Bardet by 7-8 seconds).

For the double itself, Froome needs Quintana (and maybe Contador) to turn up the start line in Italy too or hope for a crash in July. But a Giro win + Tour podium is certainly within his reach, and then with a bit of luck, you never know...

Re:

Red Rick said:
I would've loved to see how Froome would've done in the Vuelta if he had actually been pushed in the Tour. If anyone can do it right now, it's Quintana, and he'd need everything to fall into place. Contador could've done it 2009-2011, but his only attempt had a lot of things not going his way. 2015 wasn't gonna happen, though I think he could've done better if he hadn't crashed in the Giro and would've ridden Route du Sud.

Ofcourse hell can freeze over and his competition in the Tour could crash out, miss peak or something, but Froome would need a lot more luck in the Tour for a double then Quintana would.

This goes against the current state of affairs. Froome is the only one to have shown he has a reasonable shot if everyone shows up in form for both races. He was one day short of getting it done this year (I think Quintanas allergies are to froome). Quintana may have a shot once Froome starts his decline but this depends on no new contender reaching his level.

cantpedal said:
Red Rick said:

This goes against the current state of affairs. Froome is the only one to have shown he has a reasonable shot if everyone shows up in form for both races. He was one day short of getting it done this year (I think Quintanas allergies are to froome). Quintana may have a shot once Froome starts his decline but this depends on no new contender reaching his level.
Froomebwas vulnerable in the Vuelta, having a bad day or 2 and not once dropping Quintana who also did the Tour. That shape will never be enough in the Tour.

Quintana messed up the Tour prep, but then for the Giro/Tour double the 2nd one is way harder then the first

Re:

Red Rick said:

Absolutely no way he could've done it in 2010 considering that Giro and Andy and Contador basically were even in 2010.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Absolutely no way he could've done it in 2010 considering that Giro and Andy and Contador basically were even in 2010.
You're probably right, but I'm more thinking in the terms of that was a time window in which he could've done it in terms of his peak level and competition.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

And thats probably a wrong assessment. Peak Froome has better chances of doing Giro-Tour than Contador IMO. I think he has shown he can cope with two GT's extremely well, even in an Olympic year. He is very good at measuring his efforts, not necessarily doing more than he needs to, contrary to Contador in 2011.
Its a terrible assessment from all possible points of view. Not to mention that Bertie himself tried it seriously once, not reaching peak form and (very likely) after going past his prime.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Froome has showed he can win the Tour and to win la Vuelta against fresher people as Chaves or Cotador, somethig than Cotador has never showed.

It is necessary to be very fan or blind to dont see that. I think both Contador and Froome has a good recovery, but simply Froome is better. This Froome Vuelta level is better than Contador 2015 Tour. And Aru was second in that Giro, it is not the same that to have Quitana as rival. There is not possible to compare...

TRENDING THREADS