• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Perhaps if WADA and UCI are lucky Froome won’t sue them. Because on the evidence of this, he’d win.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/1014411711099662337

Froome was hung out to dry and more or less found guilty by much of the cycling press and so called fans of cycling. He’d have every right to sue given the latest admission but I doubt he will. He’s been completely exonerated and he’ll let his cycling do the talking.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

silvergrenade said:
Perhaps if WADA and UCI are lucky Froome won’t sue them. Because on the evidence of this, he’d win.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/1014411711099662337

Froome was hung out to dry and more or less found guilty by much of the cycling press and so called fans of cycling. He’d have every right to sue given the latest admission but I doubt he will. He’s been completely exonerated and he’ll let his cycling do the talking.

That's what I thought and posted earlier in this thread. People just read what the media reported, whether correct or not, and the mob decided he is guilty. The likes of Hinault were really over the top, considering their limited understanding of the facts.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
i don't consider froome better than quintana for a simple reason ,froome has beaten quintana 4 times in GT
1) tour 2013 and he was 23 at his second gt
2)tour 2015 and he was 25 losing for not being lucky and bad strategy not for being inferior
3)tour 2016 he was 26 and in a not optimal form
4)tour 2017 and he was 27 and in a very bad form
Quintana beat Froome 1 time in the 2016 vuelta,he had a very good condition and take advantage of froome weakness but he was not very much superior
I'd say that considering quintana being a very light cyclist if in the next 5 years he will win 3 more GT i will not consider him inferior to Froome,but he has to be the first who beat froome at letour to start this process

Re:

telencefalus said:
i don't consider froome better than quintana for a simple reason ,froome has beaten quintana 4 times in GT
2)tour 2015 and he was 25 losing for not being lucky and bad strategy not for being inferior
Quintana beat Froome 1 time in the 2016 vuelta,he had a very good condition and take advantage of froome weakness but he was not very much superior
I'd say that considering quintana being a very light cyclist if in the next 5 years he will win 3 more GT i will not consider him inferior to Froome,but he has to be the first who beat froome at letour to start this process
Okay.

Re: Re:

buchanan said:
silvergrenade said:

Interesting to see that he took over a minute and a half out of Dumoulin on the descents. Not bad for a rider who was said to be a poor descender and purely a 'power' rider.

Froome improved his descending immensely two years ago. I'm not sure but training with Kwiatkowski may had something to do with that.

dawg has never been a weak descender. that's was more of a hypothetical leak detractors were willing to ascribe him to, while desperately seeking for any possible terrain where he could potentially be vulnerable. over 2013-2015, his descending ability remained rather uncertain than weak.

silvergrenade said:
buchanan said:
silvergrenade said:

Interesting to see that he took over a minute and a half out of Dumoulin on the descents. Not bad for a rider who was said to be a poor descender and purely a 'power' rider.
Naah, thats a lie.
He took all the time of the climbs if twitter is to be believed. :lol:
You're mixing things up. Sky, Sky fans and Anglo media pushed the narrative that he got most of the time downhill. Then some people on twitter pointed out that it was actually ~30% downhill (~50% uphill, ~20% flat).
Seems some Sky fans don't like to be confronted with reality.

LaFlorecita said:
silvergrenade said:
buchanan said:
silvergrenade said:

Naah, thats a lie.
You're mixing things up. Sky, Sky fans and Anglo media pushed the narrative that he got most of the time downhill. Then some people on twitter pointed out that it was actually ~30% downhill (~50% uphill, ~20% flat).

Not unique, Those Contador hype trains :lol: :lol:

Re:

telencefalus said:

8J82.gif

LaFlorecita said:
silvergrenade said:
buchanan said:
silvergrenade said:

Naah, thats a lie.

there was no flat, stop posting lies

rick james said:
LaFlorecita said:
silvergrenade said:
buchanan said:
silvergrenade said:

Naah, thats a lie.

there was no flat, stop posting lies
Fine, "false flat", i.e. the 13km @ 1.5% section from Oulx to Bardonecchia

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Some people can't read rows and columns. The data attached clearly shows he gained more time on the descents of Finestre and Sestriere than the time he gained on the corresponding climbs of each mountain.

Re:

buchanan said:
Some people can't read rows and columns. The data attached clearly shows he gained more time on the descents of Finestre and Sestriere than the time he gained on the corresponding climbs of each mountain.
https://twitter.com/imdonncha/status/1000150343039176705
viewtopic.php?p=2267432#p2267432
I'd rather believe what our own eyes could see on television than the "data" provided by Team Sky. They don't know how far Dumoulin was back except for the GPS times either. We know they're trying hard to push the narrative that Froome gained most time on the descents.

It's absolutely baffling how they got a 23" gain on Dumoulin on the Sestrière false flat and climb while GPS showed 1'19" as the time gain in that period.
Also, the time gain they cite doesn't even match up with Froome's eventual time gain: 198s vs 203s.
Even fudging numbers they can't do credibly.

buchanan said:
silvergrenade said:

a) the data is incorrect, most of it was taken on the false flat/climb to sestriere and the false flat from Sauze di Cesana to Bardonecchia
b) the descent from Sestriere is on wide roads and at 5-6%, with few corners. It's the perfect power descent. And that's the first half. The second half (to Oulx) is about 2%.
c) nobody still thinks Froome is a bad descender. He showed he was good at them on Col d'Allos. Still very, very accident prone, though.

TRENDING THREADS