• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 544 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
froome being prone to yoyoing and closing gaps gradually, taking care of every single watt makes him completely unreadable. having ridden the giro doubles up this unreadability. the only thing im 100% assured is he won't manage to perform on a consistently high level in the tour. There will be off- and on-days. So probably regular yoyoing session incoming on mur-de-bretagne.

The Giro/Tour double is much harder than the others simply because so many of the GT riders are coming into the Tour with fresh legs while Froome and Dumoulin are not. Maybe it's not impossible but I think it's unlikely. I don't think the one week extra break will make much difference. Plus the Giro was not an easy edition. Froome had to fight hard to win it.

Re:

rick james said:
He’s had his on-off grand tour for the year.... that was the giro..expect his climbing to be Vuelta 2017 level, he will match all the others and kill them in the TT.
He was well positioned and then kinda went backwards on the steep part.

It's something he has done a lot of times on finishes where there's no time gaps anyway. I don't read anything into it. Mur de Bretagne will tell us more, but I don't expect time gaps apart from maybe a few seconds of most GT contenders to those who sprint for the win.

I would say Froome could drop another minute today and on sunday (cumulative) and still be in good shape to win if he can regenerate his mountain legs for week 2 and 3. I'm excited for the finish today, but I wouldn't read much into it one way or the other. Even if Nibali gained 30 seconds today (which he won't) it wouldn't mean much.

so according to RAI(they were reading a newspaper..maybe l'Equipe) Froome's diet includes:

400gr White rice in the morning + pancakes

after the race

400gr White Rice + Haribo :razz:

I guess the rice in the late afternoon/early evening will serve as glicogen for the morning (+ the 400gr he takes in the morning)

So nice digestible carbo-dishes (obviously proportionate to an athlete of that level). Pancakes provide also proteins but not too much to clog the digestive process.
I suspect some vegetables too,nothing fancy but you need vitamins

-------
not quite as good as Pellizzotti's diet but still good enough :D

Re:

spalco said:
I would say Froome could drop another minute today and on sunday (cumulative) and still be in good shape to win if he can regenerate his mountain legs for week 2 and 3. I'm excited for the finish today, but I wouldn't read much into it one way or the other. Even if Nibali gained 30 seconds today (which he won't) it wouldn't mean much.
Conventional logic/Contador in 2011 suggests it should go the other way. Start off well and then deteriorate as fatigue sets in.

46&twoWheels said:
so according to RAI(they were reading a newspaper..maybe l'Equipe) Froome's diet includes:

after the race

I guess the rice in the late afternoon/early evening will serve as glicogen for the morning (+ the 400gr he takes in the morning)

So nice digestible carbo-dishes (obviously proportionate to an athlete of that level). Pancakes provide also proteins but not too much to clog the digestive process.

-------
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

rick james said:
46&twoWheels said:

after the race

-------
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

ah thanks! here it is. Really interesting and thorough!
So the "Evening Rice" is explained by a different need. Not losing weight even though it's pretty variable depending on the stage.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Ataraxus said:
Not impressed by Froome today.
He started the climb in the best possible position and couldn't keep Bernal's wheel at the steep 500m.
Probably will lose some seconds tomorrow.

Told you so.
Losing 8 seconds to Martin might be OK (as some posters say) but losing time to Landa, Quintana, Mollema, TJ etc. is not OK at all IMO.

Re: Re:

Ataraxus said:
Ataraxus said:
He started the climb in the best possible position and couldn't keep Bernal's wheel at the steep 500m.

Told you so.
Losing 8 seconds to Martin might be OK (as some posters say) but losing time to Landa, Quintana, Mollema, TJ etc. is not OK at all IMO.

I agree with this. Losing time to Martin, Valverde, Alaphilippe on a finish like this makes sense and it understandable. However he also lost time to Mijka, Quintana, Landa, Tejay, Mollema and there is where the question is because this finish is not any better for them.

Re:

Red Rick said:
It makes no sense to expect him to be in thermonuclear form from day 1.

It's like any other Giro/Tour double. Manage the form, try to recover from the fatigue, and hope it gets better without crumbling under the fatigue of 2 GTs.
This time, absolutely agree, nothing to add :razz: .

Koronin said:
Ataraxus said:
Ataraxus said:

Told you so.

I agree with this. Losing time to Martin, Valverde, Alaphilippe on a finish like this makes sense and it understandable. However he also lost time to Mijka, Quintana, Landa, Tejay, Mollema and there is where the question is because this finish is not any better for them.
Koronin, believe me, I'm really happy he lost just a few seconds at such finish in 1st week!

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
He gambled a little and got caught behind the split by riding conservatively and then had to try and come across the gap when he realised hence why he finished on his own inbetween the groups. At least that's my take.

Obviously though not in the form he was when he was sprinting up Mur du Huy but I expect that's not part of the plan doing the double.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Koronin said:
Ataraxus said:
Ataraxus said:

Told you so.

Koronin, believe me, I'm really happy he lost just a few seconds at such finish in 1st week!

You should be happy. He could have lost a bit more time in a stage finish like this. I'm a bit surprised Landa and Quintana didn't loose a couple of seconds as well.

I don't think planning giro-tour double is down to such littles as not loosing 5-10 seconds on mur-de-bretagne by any means. he wasn't good as well as he wasn't dreadful, pacing himself uphill. this time the leading group was quite persistent at keep up the tempo, so froome eventually couldn't close that 20 meter gap. as in case of AC in 2011 and 2015, from now on Froome is moving in territory of complete uncertainty, where curve of form can easily point both up and down. it's going to be fun.

deValtos said:
He gambled a little and got caught behind the split by riding conservatively and then had to try and come across the gap when he realised hence why he finished on his own inbetween the groups. At least that's my take.

Obviously though not in the form he was when he was sprinting up Mur du Huy but I expect that's not part of the plan doing the double.
Naah Froome is clever enough. If he had the legs he would've never lost any time IMO.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
And what is important, orcas are much more clever than sharks.

giphy.gif