• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 572 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Reading Dan Martins first person account of the crash makes it clear that he's very lucky to be alive....never mind the broken bones, any sudden and immediate deceleration of the human body from 60kph to zero in an instant is often fatal due to catastrophic internal injury.

Re: Re:

spalco said:
tobydawq said:
In completely other news, Froome seems to have been declared the winner of the 2011 Vuelta since Cobo has been disqualified.

Spanish media report this.

Did they retest an old sample or something?

Anyway, I don't know if Cobo will make it on the list of Top 10000 most surprising doping convictions.
It's a biological passport case which makes it even more incredible that it took them 8 years.

Re:

tobydawq said:
In completely other news, Froome seems to have been declared the winner of the 2011 Vuelta since Cobo has been disqualified.

giphy.gif

Re:

The Barb said:
So it’s being widely reported now that it was indeed a compound fracture of the femur. That surely is the finish of his career (at least at the highest level). I made the mistake of google image searching “compound fracture femur”. Not nice.

It's very dependent on the actual fracture but yes, it could well result in that. The other injuries will obviously contribute and we likely don't know the full extent. But here's hoping it isn't. Whatever you think of Froome, he will be a big loss to GT racing.

King Boonen said:
The Barb said:
So it’s being widely reported now that it was indeed a compound fracture of the femur. That surely is the finish of his career (at least at the highest level). I made the mistake of google image searching “compound fracture femur”. Not nice.

It's very dependent on the actual fracture but yes, it could well result in that. The other injuries will obviously contribute and we likely don't know the full extent. But here's hoping it isn't. Whatever you think of Froome, he will be a big loss to GT racing.

I'm pretty sure that he won't finish his career. Actually, in all leg and hip injuries cycling is a big part of the recovery. Froome biggest challenge will be to get back to his level and sadly I'm quite sure that you can't really go back after such injuries. He will comeback and race again but probably his days as the best GT rider are over. He will be there in the final of the races but not the best. A bit like Valverde after his injury(and his injury wasn't as complicated).

It's really good that the worst part passed and he's responding good. That's the most important thing.

spalco said:
tobydawq said:

Did they retest an old sample or something?

Anyway, I don't know if Cobo will make it on the list of Top 10000 most surprising doping convictions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/chris-froome-crowned-winner-2011-vuelta-espana-juan-jose-cobo-caught-doping-427070/amp

Cobo is appealing and it was from 09-11.

On his crash, I hope he is able to recover from this with no added drama during the recovery time. I feel like he should just call it a career as he has nothing left to prove and those are significant injuries. If he does race again and is able to compete/win, that would be a miracle and well earned.

Merckx index said:
If Froome had won that Vuelta originally, would he ever have raced it again? He spent so many years trying to win it once, how different things might have been. No salbutamol, no 3 GTs in a row.
Think he would have. It's after the Tour, not before. Doubt he'd have tried any Giro/Tour double if it really hurt Sky's chances to dominate the Tour, which it would have.

The real interesting question is what would've happened to the pecking order in the 2012 Tour.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that CF will be flying for TdF 2020! Of course much like those who see this as the end of his career, I don't have enough info to make a true prediction. That being said, the femur will likely be fine, the question is more about the soft tissue.