Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 611 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay, I actually thought Nibali had been worse. Then we really do need to go back to 2011, where Schleck couldn't keep up with Peter Sagan in the mountains in Tour de Suisse, yet was probably the best climber in the Tour a few weeks later.
I mean, Schleck still finished the TdS at place 19 and became 2nd on a mountain stage (behind Thomsas de Gendt) from a break. I may see Thomas doing similar things in his current form but Froome is just way way off. Actually I can see Thomas ride into good form but I fear due to the tight calender it will come too late.

Reactions: Koronin
Jul 3, 2018
Froome uploaded his power data to Strava for stages 1 and 2, but not for stage 3. I'm guessing in order of most likely, he either wants to: hide a bad day, hide a good day, or just forgot to upload his ride.

Get the race days in France and then hit the Vuelta hard
Yep I think today makes it very hard for him to make a case to go the Tour this year, maybe he could go Giro or Vuelta to get GT in his legs at least.
Froome is not the kind of rider who enters a GT just to get some miles in his legs. Realistic or not, he's thinking contending and winning. From that point of view, his order of preference presumably would be:

TDF - wants to win no. 5
Giro - a win would give him 2 or more of every GT, joining Hinault and Contador
Vuelta - doesn't need another one, but it adds to his GT wins, takes him past Indurain and Contador

There's only about two weeks between the end of the Tour and the beginning of the Giro, but if he only rides as a dom in the Tour, is allowed to rest on a lot of stages, he could show up for the Giro in pretty good shape. OTOH, I guess Ineos has promised Carapaz leadership role there (?), so unless Froome showed real strength at the Tour, I assume they wouldn't let him ride as leader or co-leader at the Giro. The Vuelta, starting a few weeks later, would also give him more time to get in shape, and after that accident, can't be too much time to recover. The Vuelta is also a crapshoot, as who will be there will depend somewhat on what happens in the Tour. Any TDF favorite who disappoints there will probably want to salvage his season in the Vuelta.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Froome is not the kind of rider who enters a GT just to get some miles in his legs. Realistic or not, he's thinking contending and winning. From that point of view, his order of preference presumably would be:

TDF - wants to win no. 5
Vuelta - doesn't need another one, but it adds to his GT wins, takes him past Indurain and Contador

There's only about two weeks between the end of the Tour and the beginning of the Giro, but if he only rides as a dom in the Tour, is allowed to rest on a lot of stages, he could show up for the Giro in pretty good shape. OTOH, I guess Ineos has promised Carapaz leadership role there (?), so unless Froome showed real strength at the Tour, I assume they wouldn't let him ride as leader or co-leader at the Giro. The Vuelta, starting a few weeks later, would also give him more time to get in shape, and after that accident, can't be too much time to recover. The Vuelta is also a crapshoot, as who will be there will depend somewhat on what happens in the Tour. Any TDF favorite who disappoints there will probably want to salvage his season in the Vuelta.
It would be hard to imagine the longer term contract rider, Carapaz being OK with the 2nd seat to a guy headed out the door. Ineos could have a revolt on their hands if they played that angle to the riders and Froome didn't win and Carapaz was compromised. They'd be right to be pi*sed.
I do agree the Vuelta will be the season's GT cage match for all comers.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TDF - wants to win no. 5

You'd think Carapaz would have been promised the opportunity to defend his title.

There are only a handful of riders who are confirmed or more or less confirmed for la Vuelta. Anyone going to the Giro can't go to la Vuelta and several of the top GC riders going to the Tour are saying they aren't going to the Vuelta after. Like typical la Vuelta will have an interesting group of GC riders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
F Professional Road Racing 68

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS