• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 763 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Looking at his strava, he has his Bike stopped with the two puntures on the long climb and the fall of the descent, when he was just droped: 50,30 and 15 second.
So other way I think I could have at leat be on the main group at the end after a long breakaway.

He punctured only once but his team car was not there so he took a wheel from neutral service which was not great so he made another change.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
If he gets it a win is a win. He’d have done something most wrote him off on. Towards the future it would be more beneficial to see how he does against better competition. This is by far the worst competition he has had since the crash. While not a cycling historian or knowing a wide variety of talent, there’s only theee names besides Froome that I’ve heard of before this race and were talked about. Let’s see if he can build like he did last year.

If he gets it a win is a win. He’d have done something most wrote him off on. Towards the future it would be more beneficial to see how he does against better competition. This is by far the worst competition he has had since the crash. While not a cycling historian or knowing a wide variety of talent, there’s only theee names besides Froome that I’ve heard of before this race and were talked about. Let’s see if he can build like he did last year.
At the Begining there were 2 team mates of him past year in World Tour...One had to left by a crash, Hagen, the favourite IMO, and the other is Piccoli.

Vernon, Teklehaimanot, De la Parte, Bonnet, one of the best Euskaltel riders (Bizkarra, Iturria ), are the other riders I knew...as well, David Lozano, but nor for his quality....but that doenst mean there are not good riders among the rest.

But the level is not high, that is clear..If Omer Goldstain Would have took the start as is was predicted and Froome would have help him...maybe he could have won the race,,,and he is not a climber nor a top rider.

But considering Froome is not at a high shape here, is ok to see him at the level of the best (not in GC anyway)

Chris Froome finished 48th today, at Rwanda‘s stage. At 14mins 18secs…

Maybe he still had pain after yesterday‘s crash?…
He was at the front of the peloton till the decisive part, including the furts climbs...so of course he has not pain...he just sof pedaling at the end... Maybe becouse his training say that...or maybe becouse he want to try the stage this weekend.

Iturria said it was a pitu his punture becopuse he wanted to be in a break with a 4 time Tour Winner...
I just watched the video of the punture and at the first chabge the man took too much time to change the wheel....Favourites group pass him, they got them again, but he stopped again to change the wheel, becouse it wanst correct. Later he crash by a car in a moment he was at 70 Km per hour....he didnt lose too much time at the end, so it was a meritable day...

Tomorrow 2 climbs to Kigali, hope to see him doing something decent.

He was at the front of the peloton till the decisive part, including the furts climbs...so of course he has not pain...he just sof pedaling at the end... Maybe becouse his training say that...or maybe becouse he want to try the stage this weekend.

Iturria said it was a pitu his punture becopuse he wanted to be in a break with a 4 time Tour Winner...
I just watched the video of the punture and at the first chabge the man took too much time to change the wheel....Favourites group pass him, they got them again, but he stopped again to change the wheel, becouse it wanst correct. Later he crash by a car in a moment he was at 70 Km per hour....he didnt lose too much time at the end, so it was a meritable day...

Tomorrow 2 climbs to Kigali, hope to see him doing something decent.

It's impressive how you're always coming up with a narrative in favour of Froome. But maybe you should start accepting the fact, that those results are not due to training plans or tactics, but simply due the limits of Froome's capabilities nowadays.

Christopher Clive Froome is still talking about "racing miles in the legs" and building-up his form.
Enough already Chris, we need to see some results NOW!
What is this 'form' that he keeps continually referring to? When is it finally going to arrive?
This is now the fourth season this plan has been in progress, which is one heck of a period of preparation.
Is Chris Froome now just one big tease?

Today, Christopher Clive Froome completed the 8th and final stage of the Tour du Rwanda.
He outperformed my prediction, to his credit, finishing 24th overall out of the 55 riders who made it to the finish line.
He was 28mins 35secs behind overall winner Henok Mulubrhan, of Eritrea.
Froome flashed once during the biggest race on home African soil, going on a solo attack over 100k from the finishing line on Stage 5.
With approximately 40k to go and just over a minute ahead of the peloton he punctured and then crashed - ending hopes of stage victory.
I think it is fair to conclude there was absolutely no evidence whatsoever of Froome's fabled 'return to form' over the course of this race.

Today, Christopher Clive Froome completed the 8th and final stage of the Tour du Rwanda.
He outperformed my prediction, to his credit, finishing 24th overall out of the 55 riders who made it to the finish line.
He was 28mins 35secs behind overall winner Henok Mulubrhan, of Eritrea.
Froome flashed once during the biggest race on home African soil, going on a solo attack over 100k from the finishing line on Stage 5.
With approximately 40k to go and just over a minute ahead of the peloton he punctured and then crashed - ending hopes of stage victory.
I think it is fair to conclude there was absolutely no evidence whatsoever of Froome's fabled 'return to form' over the course of this race.

Chris earned himself and the team 3 UCI points today. IPT well on their way to regaining World Tour status. Chapeau!

It's impressive how you're always coming up with a narrative in favour of Froome. But maybe you should start accepting the fact, that those results are not due to training plans or tactics, but simply due the limits of Froome's capabilities nowadays.
I am not going to admit something that simply is not true..

The level he has last year un march and the level he has at the end of May were very diferent. When he was the BEST GC Rider he started in races as Andalucía at a his best level, but a good one enough even to win. Now is different.

After the crash, the only race he has been at the level previous at his first Vuelta has been le Tour 2022. Te rest he has been worse that that Barlowold era when he was learning but showing a big potential and some good results. But of course the posibility to come back to a level close to the one he had at Sky is there..And It would be for me to see that, even better than the tremendous and historic era we had now luckily in cycling with Pogacar, Evenepoel Vingegard, Van Aert, Van del Poel and others,...And I am not going to rule out yet that possibility...I would be happy just if he is a little but better to last Tour or get and stage in any race. But that possibility isbstill there...he was increading his level since he was free of phisichal problema voy the crash last year since he was positive at Coronavirus...so I think he can be much stronger this year than he was when he was 3rd at Alp DHuez

If you see the video of the race Froome was first of the race just before on the fist cobble section, at 60 km he took the corner too quickly..and he had to stop..that way he lost the breakaway of 19 riders with the GC leaders...A pity.
He was about 30 postñition and the catched the first Rider un the descent just before that corner...It was quite inpressive. https://www.youtube.com/live/rNFhEGJ9sao?feature=share. About 1 hour-1:02 of the video

Last edited:
Froome really did the full circle in his career. He was a joke at the beginning, then he was also a joke, but totally opposite, joke for the sport, and know he came home, being a joke again, like he once was.

It's because of disc brakes.

Chris Froome blames disc brakes for Rwanda misfortunes: