• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:
Do you have a link or at least which media was?

I also saw that interview on ITV, maybe it is on Eurosport as well....

Froome really had an opportunity to have a go at Contador and rightfully so many would say, after all it must have been frustrating to be ganged up against like that... but he instead gave credit where credit was due and admitted he was at fault for falling into the trap rather than the other way round... He seems like twice the man Wiggins will ever be..

GIlbert when asked today who he thinks will win the Vuelta said that Froome is a very good friend and he wants Froome to win but thinks the 3 spaniards will team up on him.

And we have already seen Froome close to Vino.

Is Froome in that Vino Evans Gilbert Hincapie etc circle:eek:

Froome19 said:

Froome really had an opportunity to have a go at Contador and rightfully so many would say, after all it must have been frustrating to be ganged up against like that... but he instead gave credit where credit was due and admitted he was at fault for falling into the trap rather than the other way round... He seems like twice the man Wiggins will ever be..

It was Rendell who asked the question, you can tell in the voice, and he is itv so twas not eurosport;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
GIlbert when asked today who he thinks will win the Vuelta said that Froome is a very good friend and he wants Froome to win but thinks the 3 spaniards will team up on him.

Froome lives in Monaco and his girlfriend seems to tweet back and forth with Phil quite a lot, so they're probably friends. You forgot Rebellin and Hushovd by the way.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I might be wrong but I'm pretty certain that Froome when in europe lives in Monaco so he might well be in with Gilbert and the other pro riders that live there

What is this photo i see in various guises on FDC?

Anyone want to explain?

23504C72C82A502A809224502A808C.jpg

Im talking about the sombrero and the jersey, not the english underneath which does not always appear,

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Miburo said:
Seriously is there someone who likes Wiggins in this forum? lol

Anyway I hope for him he doesn't become the next poulidor/ullrich/Schleck but it seems to go that way. Already 2 times 2nd and now Contador is back.

Should be interesting to see.

1. I like Wiggins quite a lot.
2. I also like Chris Froome
3. I am not sure AC will be a factor at the Tour de France in years to come...

Anyway, it is a pitty that Froome missed out the acceleration at the end and lost time. Might have been first signs of weakness. I hope he bounces back Wednesday in the ITT.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
3. I am not sure AC will be a factor at the Tour de France in years to come...

Wow just wow...Are you serious?

Well at least now it make sense why you like Wiggins a lot...:rolleyes:

On what do you base yourself that Contador won't be a factor anymore?

Btw his godly form in giro '11 was after the clinic-affaire so that's not an argument. So what is it then?

Please enlighten me :p

Miburo said:
Wow just wow...Are you serious?

Well at least now it make sense why you like Wiggins a lot...:rolleyes:

On what do you base yourself that Contador won't be a factor anymore?

Btw his godly form in giro '11 was after the clinic-affaire so that's not an argument. So what is it then?

Please enlighten me :p

I think it's more wishful thinking on his part ;)

Clearly Contador will always be a factor in any stage race he takes part in for the rest of his career, but I do believe NuWiggins and NuFroome will be a tougher nut to crack than Andy. OT here though. ;)

Go Froome, nice guy, attacking rider, what's not to like?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
Clearly Contador will always be a factor in any stage race he takes part in for the rest of his career, but I do believe NuWiggins and NuFroome will be a tougher nut to crack than Andy. OT here though. ;)

Go Froome, nice guy, attacking rider, what's not to like?

I think Wiggins will be very easy to crack for Contador when he's 100 %

And yeah I also like Froome, such a shame he's in Sky. It would be cool to have him in Astana with Vino as teamleader :cool:

Froome19 said:

+1, Froome is growing on me. I dont like sky, but Froome could easily be one of my favourite riders.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Seriously is there someone who likes Wiggins in this forum? lol

Anyway I hope for him he doesn't become the next poulidor/ullrich/Schleck but it seems to go that way. Already 2 times 2nd and now Contador is back.

Should be interesting to see.

I like that Wigans lives in Lancashire once he became bigtime.
Whereas Froome lives in Tax haven ,now rides for GB but has probably never paid a single penny in tax.
Ok im scrapping the bottom of the barrel in reasons for Wigans>Froome :D

I like Froome, who doesn't, but I cant say I've been too impressed by his Vuelta so far and to some extent it does validate the doubts we had during the TDF, i.e. little attacks he can't sustain, which has already happened at least twice in the Vuelta so far and the field isn't on par with the TDF either in spite of appearances, just look where Roche is.

He really needs to put 1+ minute into Bertie and 3+ into JRod and Valverde in the ITT if he wants to reverse things here.

learn to ride said:
“I believe that I am better than my rivals in the time trial,” Froome said on Monday’s rest day. “I am satisfied with how the Vuelta’s gone so far with Sky. We came to win the Vuelta and, up to now, our objective remains intact.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/time-trial-showdown-will-prove-decisive-in-vuelta_236653

I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Based on his form over the course of the year and the performances of his rivals, including Contador, I think it is reasonable for him to believe that he is better than them. Now that may not turn out to be the case, but it is not an unreasonable belief.