• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Franklin said:
Are you actually for real? Do you realize what happened last year when AC rode his only GT? He won... You know who he kept behind him???? And current form is an absolutely fantastic metric considering we aren't near the TdF.

You are picking Wiggins (who form wise is behind AC) and Froome who never wore a jersey, let alone win a GT. In fact AC trounced them every time he met them in a GT, the last time being more recent than Wiggo's TDF!

That you have no doubt shows that you are beyond reason.

What does past matter now?

I don't get how many people say stuff that happened while Contador was at his peak years. He is not any more. Anyone can see that.

We are in present, and present time clearly shows that Froome is by far the best rider so far for Tour.

And it doesn't matter if Wiggins wants to lead or not, Froome will DESTROY Wiggins this year. There will be no more waiting for Wiggins, one attack by Froome and Wiggins will be gone. End off really.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
We are in present, and present time clearly shows that Froome is by far the best rider so far for Tour.

1. Keeping form this long is kinda special. It happened before (Wiggins), but it's odd to think it will last.
2. Airstream called Wiggins and Froome undoubtedly the best two GT riders based on this and last season. I have shown rather decisively that Wiggins neither has the form nor palmares to warrant that claim. Last season is a similar problem. The only time AC met Froome in a GT he crushed him. He did not say "Froome is at this moment in time the worlds best Stage rider", he specifically added GT's and last season. Does not compute ;)

And it doesn't matter if Wiggins wants to lead or not, Froome will DESTROY Wiggins this year. There will be no more waiting for Wiggins, one attack by Froome and Wiggins will be gone. End off really.

We will see. It's not yet July. Wiggins clearly isn't at peak yet and if he manages to get peak form in July he won't be a pushover. It also depends on how the competition is stacking up. You assume Froome will do the attacking, but if Ryder, Andy and/or Alberto are at their peak form there's a decent chance Sky will have to ride defensive to take them out on the TT's (Where Froome beats all three). If that happens Wiggins is in good position again.

For sure, I think Froome will be the one to beat, but we have seen in the past that it can be a complete surprise how it turns out.

zigmeister said:
I seem to remember a Wiggins leading the Sky train the final stage of the TDF so Cav could win the sprint.

Like that was some major sacrifice.a small effort once he'd already won the tour that he got more praise for than any of the people who devote their lives to helping cav win sprints.

If I was going to cite an example of Wiggins helping cav it would be the Copenhagen world's or the London Olympics. Though neither is anything like what froome did.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Franklin said:
Are you actually for real? Do you realize what happened last year when AC rode his only GT? He won... You know who he kept behind him???? And current form is an absolutely fantastic metric considering we aren't near the TdF.

You are picking Wiggins (who form wise is behind AC) and Froome wore a jersey one day, let alone win a GT. In fact AC trounced them every time he met them in a GT, the last time being more recent than Wiggo's TDF!

You are free not to look up to Sky as 95% of forum did after the 2012 Tour. Do you realize that the fact Contador didn't ride the Tour is his blame and his problem? Can you call at least 1 reason why Contador has to sacrifice all the season for the Tour, given his previous seasons??? I can. New heroes come. One can close his eyes, but truth doesn't get closer because of it. Forum didn't acknowledge Froome until Prati di Tivo with any kinds of absurd arguements, but they had to reconcile with him like the strongest climber. I expect something similar after Wiggins will own the Giro.

I don't know what is form and level of form. A rider is good to an extent rivals allow him to be good. Period. The form you want to see him in may never be shown more and what? Will you always remember the form he really needs? It is quite a cheap excuse.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
JimPanzen said:
It certainly is. I think Wiggins is making a joke of ****ing with Froome's head :D

This. The Wiggo mind tricks are payback for Froomes showboating last year.

If Wiggo is within a minute of him come the last TT :D so Froome will have to drop him somewhere

It's gonna be Sky vs Sky

May 26, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
You are free not to look up to Sky as 95% of forum did after the 2012 Tour. Do you realize that the fact Contador didn't ride the Tour is his blame and his problem? Can you call at least 1 reason why Contador has to sacrifice all the season for the Tour, given his previous seasons??? I can. New heroes come. One can close his eyes, but truth doesn't get closer because of it. Forum didn't acknowledge Froome until Prati di Tivo with any kinds of absurd arguements, but they had to reconcile with him like the strongest climber. I expect something similar after Wiggins will own the Giro.

Are you mental? Don't you realize who won the last GT? Are you simply ignoring everything that does not support your position?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Franklin said:
Are you mental? Don't you realize who won the last GT? Are you simply ignoring everything that does not support your position?

do you realize that it has absolutely secondary meaning, while estimating the Tour chances?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Franklin said:
How does that compute with the Wiggins versus Contador comparison dear airstream? :rolleyes:

It is my private opinion. The way I feel. Or you offer to boid down the things to the results of last 5 years and make a conclusion?

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
@ Airstream

Aren't you supposed to support Contador at this Tour anyway. I remember you holding a long speech about how you would never cheer for the strong favorite and always go for the underdog. From your pov Contador fits that description perfectly as you obviously don't care much about Andy anymore... ;)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
It is my private opinion. The way I feel. Or you offer to boid down the things to the results of last 5 years and make a conclusion?

What an incredibly weak answer considering it's actually pretty easy to go back to your statement.

airstream said:
Objectively, Froome and Wiggins are 2 strongest GT riders for today

What a waste of time.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Franklin said:
What an incredibly weak answer considering it's actually pretty easy to go back to your statement.

What a waste of time.

I clearly based my position. One can be second in the Tour and much stronger than the Vuelta winner and there's no surprise. Again, if the result is the only thing you value, you can brag yet 5-10 years that Contador is the strongest GT rider.

Morten said:
Aren't you supposed to support Contador at this Tour anyway. I remember you holding a long speech about how you would never cheer for the strong favorite and always go for the underdog. From your pov Contador fits that description perfectly as you obviously don't care much about Andy anymore...
After the Vuelta 11 I said that cycling already got a new strength which is equal to Contador and Schleck, but I was hugely being ridiculed all the time until Tivo stage at least. So I'm entitled not to keep silent now

spalco said:
If I'm Froome and Wiggins gets the team's support just for being ahead a couple seconds at some arbitrary cut-off point, I would **** **** up in the race and switch teams ASAP. He deserves this. Wiggins chose the Giro, if he'd said after the Tour 2012 "I'm going to repeat the win in 2013", that would have been the end of the discussion, but he didn't. He made his choice and if he's not able to live with it now, he can't expect Froome to play nice.

The Hitch said:
That in itself is wrong considering last year Wiggins was crying about how teams aren't supposed to have more than 1 leader and therefore froome would have to play domestique.

He was perfectly fine with the arrangment that on a harder 2013 parcors froome would get his turn, back when all he wanted was to win the 2012 tour. Now that that moment has come and gone, oh, surprise, suddenly Wiggins is not so eager to repay froome.

For all his faults, it's clear that here, froome who has remained humble, taken shirlt unfairly in the press and kept his mouth shut is the good guy, and Wiggins, not for the first-time, is behaving like a total prat.

And only intense fanboyism and nationalism can skew someone to see Wiggins as anything but an ******* in his behaviour.

kingjr said:
I really hope Froome will give **** all about team tactics and roflstomp Wiggins at the first chance he gets at the Tour.

These.

So, even if they go into the Tour as co-leaders, with the way they race, who will be behind who in the train?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Franklin said:

You are picking Wiggins (who form wise is behind AC) and Froome wore a jersey one day, let alone win a GT. In fact AC trounced them every time he met them in a GT, the last time being more recent than Wiggo's TDF!

Yes and every year in his life of cycling Contador has done way better than he has at this stage, And Froome has destroyed Contador this year pal, also his confidence and fans confidence. It's not their fault your hero was BANNED, do you honestly believe Contador would of changed the outcome at the TDF lol, Froome would have done the same pacing Wiggins to victory. The only diff if Contador raced is he probably would have got 2nd because Froome lost a min in first week.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Franklin said:

Yes and that was 2012:rolleyes:, it took the weirdest thing ever to win you will agree Purito was strongest without a doubt. This is 2013 stop daydreaming Froome > Contador without any trouble. Contador does not drop people like he use to pre ban and that's a fact.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What a waste of time.[/QUOTE]

So you think Contador is stronger than Froome of today. What a fanboy ha ha I cant take you serious lol, even Contador fans no it will take a lot, if anyone can do it it's Contador but come on now lol.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Franklin said:

What a waste of time.

So you think Contador is stronger than Froome of today. What a fanboy ha ha I cant take you serious lol, even Contador fans no it will take a lot, if anyone can do it it's Contador but come on now lol.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Froome, Wiggins, Contador and Nibali are rated for the GTs they do. So it doesn´t really matter what happened this season so far.

All that matters is in Giro, Tour and Vuelta, for them.

Oman, even Tirreno are unimportant, we mustn´t forget. For someone who follows cycling closely, they surely are not, but you always have to switch to normal population´s view from time to time. They don´t know Tour of Oman. And Tirreno has also been won by Rolf Järmann.

What I want to say: Giro, Tour and Vuelta start from zero, each. On Champs-Elyseées, it doesn´t matter if you won Tour of Oman.

RHRH19861986 said:
Froome, Wiggins, Contador and Nibali are rated for the GTs they do. So it doesn´t really matter what happened this season so far.

All that matters is in Giro, Tour and Vuelta, for them.

Oman, even Tirreno are unimportant, we mustn´t forget. For someone who follows cycling closely, they surely are not, but you always have to switch to normal population´s view from time to time. They don´t know Tour of Oman. And Tirreno has also been won by Rolf Järmann.

What I want to say: Giro, Tour and Vuelta start from zero, each. On Champs-Elyseées, it doesn´t matter if you won Tour of Oman.

Well it doesn't, no. However in the previous two seasons we've seen two cyclists win multiple races in the months leading up to the Tour and then go on to win the yellow jersey in impressive fashion. Recent history (perhaps you could say, the ''bio-passport years'') suggest that you don't see magical improvements relative to the rivals anymore at different points in the year. The exception would be an injury or health issue of course. We'll see what happens at the Dauphine. Contador doesn't need to win it but he needs to show some signs of life. If he ends up getting crushed by Froome and Sky then he's not going to win the Tour and his fans will just have to accept that. Nothing lasts forever.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TANK91 said:
[/B]

Ending your sentence with lol always helps make your case.

TRENDING THREADS