• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
webvan said:
Not really comparable, Lance was a lot weaker than Contador on ALL terrains, mountain and ITT, he had zero chance, even if Contador hadn't attacked on Verbier he would have won that TDF.

In theory BW is still stronger than Froome in ITTs especially since Froome seems to have lost a tiny bit there compared to previous years (if you look at the TA and Romandie ITTs)...and according to BW and Kerrisson, who knows his numbers, BW has progressed in steep climbs...where he was already pretty decent in 2012.

You are a marketing exec's wet dream ...

Afrank said:
Something like this almost doesn't dignify a response, have you been watching the sport the last couple months?

First of all, Froome has not been given a chance to lead until this year. And in case you haven't noticed, Wiggins isn't winning like he did in 2012.
And second, you should actually read what the athletes say. Wiggins is still going on about Froome riding away from him, while Froome is just reasserting that he will be leader at the Tour. Now I ask you, which one is being the "crybaby" there?

Vuelta 2012?
And still Vuelta 2011 reeks. Even if people say it was BW's fault, I still believe Cobo won because he was better, and that's about it. He had the chance to crush him, he couldn't.

Still Froomey Dog is an ******* much like his Miss, he should've just kept a low profile publicly, because if BW wins the Giro, and he has a very very good chance of winning it, there's no way in hell he can claim the full leadership for the Tour.

Winning the stupid Romandie doesn't make you an indisputed leader for a GT, especially in a team like Sky.

webvan said:
It's worse than that, Froome and that Cound Twitwoman want Wiggo OFF the team apparently, they're completely full of themselves, it's scary and cannot end well.

Has Froome's girlfriend personally offended you in some way? You certainly have some obvious deep-seeded animosity stored up for her for some strange reason.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
Vuelta 2012?
And still Vuelta 2011 reeks. Even if people say it was BW's fault, I still believe Cobo won because he was better, and that's about it. He had the chance to crush him, he couldn't.

Still Froomey Dog is an ******* much like his Miss, he should've just kept a low profile publicly, because if BW wins the Giro, and he has a very very good chance of winning it, there's no way in hell he can claim the full leadership for the Tour.

Winning the stupid Romandie doesn't make you an indisputed leader for a GT, especially in a team like Sky.

But Froome was tired at that Vuelta, and thus could not contend anyways. So I didn't bother including it. Had he been fresh in it, there's not a doubt in my mind that he would have been on the podium.
In the 2011 Vuelta, your forgetting that on the stage Froome was in the leaders jersey he had to work for Wiggins and because of that lost more time to Cobo, then Cobo won with in the end. Sure, Cobo might have been able to still get the win by gaining time somewhere else, but we can easily assume had it not been for Wiggins making Froome work for him, Froome could have won it.

And I don't think he should keep a low profile at all. Wiggins, as I see it, is essentially trying to claim team Sky's leadership for the Tour that should belong solely to Froome. It's only right for Froome to say something to ensure he gets to keep that leadership role. Also placing 5th in Catalunya and Trentino shouldn't make you the leader either. Especially when the route doesn't even suit you and you'll have the Giro in your legs.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Abo****ely offended by the drivel she posts on twitter yes (see my post above for ber latest antics if you haven't been keeping up to speed) , like any cycling fan I would imagine, hence calling her the Cound Twitwoman.

It's her twitter account, if you don't like to hear what she think and has to say, don't read it. It seems very childish to get offended over what someone says on their personal twitter account.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
webvan said:
It's worse than that, Froome and that Cound Twitwoman want Wiggo OFF the team apparently, they're completely full of themselves, it's scary and cannot end well.

Intresting what has she/they said on Wiggins not being on the team?, a link? I'm not on Twit so a link would be good. Surely Bradley is a definite at the Tour being reigning champ and face of the new wave of cycling fans from the UK. IMO no matter what Froome or his soon to be wife think on the subject Bradley is obliged to compete. Maybe chaos may ensue and things turn ugly but that puts way more pressure on Froome than any one else. I would love to see him crack and have an appalling day. Just to make a bit more of a spectacle of the Tour. Wiggins passing a broken Froome with Pinot Andy and Contador sailing off to the podium. The likely hood is Froome wins out by 3-5minutes.

I don't twit either but her cycling related twits have been reposted here several times, surprised you guys haven't seen them? Anyway here are the latest one where she implies she wants BW off the team for the TDF :

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 30/04:
I look forward to @TeamSky clearing up this mess (ASAP) #fedup

Michelle Cound Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 30/04 :
To those claiming that this Wiggins/Froome thing is some sort of publicity stunt, you are wrong.

Michelle Cound Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 30/04
Chris & Brad on the same start line, in the same kit? Mmmmmm… doubt it!

Here's her "feed" if you're ready to be appalled : http://twitter.com/michellecound

In 12 months it won't matter as one of them will be gone. Can't see them both staying at Sky especially if Froome wins the Tour. Other teams will make offers to other Sky riders that are too good to ignore as well, such is the quality of their squad. Money talks and some of the domestiques would like to ride for wins, I'm sure.

movingtarget said:
In 12 months it won't matter as one of them will be gone. Can't see them both staying at Sky especially if Froome wins the Tour. Other teams will make offers to other Sky riders that are too good to ignore as well, such is the quality of their squad. Money talks and some of the domestiques would like to ride for wins, I'm sure.

so Froome to Vancan?

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Anyone interested in Sky's riders must be aware of the fact that Sky's logistics plays huge role in riders' results.
So, it's not just about the riders, interested teams will have to provide matching services.
I doubt there are many of them equal to the Sky... If any.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
serfla said:
Anyone interested in Sky's riders must be aware of the fact that Sky's logistics plays huge role in riders' results.
So, it's not just about the riders, interested teams will have to provide matching services.

Other teams like BMC, Omega, Garmin, have the same, they just don´t talk about it because they are less successfull and therefore don´t have to search for explanation for their success.

serfla said:

This is the main point people seem to miss.

I've been told Manchester United have a number their players can can, 24/7, where someone will be on the end of the phone to solve any problem. Anything, they literally don't need to think about it, it'll be sorted.

Sky seem to be taking the same approach with their riders. To most it results in boring racing, but it's damn effective.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:

This is actually a big danger to Sky. Wiggins is 33, and can't be a GC contender for years and years to come. If Sky want to look towards being successful in the future then they need to keep Froome and make sure he is happy. And making sure he feels supported by the whole team is how to do that.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Other teams like BMC, Omega, Garmin, have the same, they just don´t talk about it because they are less successfull and therefore don´t have to search for explanation for their success.
I suppose the success is the measure of everything involved in producing a result.
If they are less successful, that should mean Sky's in front of them.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Both IIRC

Wiggos contract runs out this year.
Froomes is through 2014

Wiggo did state a couple of years (2010 maybe) ago he would retire after his contract ran out, I doubt that is still his plan.

I think he has said he wants to ride tracl in Rio.

TRENDING THREADS