• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Beat Alberto Contador one of the worst sprinters in the peloton. And Jrod who obviously didn't have it because he got beaten by Alberto Contador one of the worst sprinters in the peloton.

I disagree. There are a lot of rolleurs, time trialists and quite good climbers who doesn't have a kick at all. Contador sprints passably

Afrank said:
Another thing that I think will go against Froome is the style of racing of one days. In a GT different people have different goals and a lot of racing GT's is about conserving energy for the days ahead. One days though, it's all out. Much more attacks, much different tactics, and much harder then a single stage of a GT. Froomes team isn't going to be able to control it all day and drop most everyone else by the end as easily as they do in GT's.

I don't think the fact that it's "harder" is the issue here for Froome, but maybe his relative inexperience in which breaks to follow and things like that.

The thing is, I don't think you can uphill sprints (e.g. La planche des belles filles) as an indication for Froome's sprint because he only won because he was superior whenever the road turned uphill, not because he is an amazing sprinter.

And BTW if he really is as explosive as you indicate, why was he beaten by Contador and Mollema in the Chieti stage in Tirreno? He was clearly in very good shape judging by the Prati di Tivo stage.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
BS. Contador is a horrible sprinter so it is not impressive at all that Froome beat him.

You don't understand anything about cycling.

Lol base on what do you offer to rate their sprinter qualities if they almost never practise them because of their specialization? Base on your expert 'BS. Contador is a...'?!

Bushman said:
And BTW if he really is as explosive as you indicate, why was he beaten by Contador and Mollema in the Chieti stage in Tirreno? He was clearly in very good shape judging by the Prati di Tivo stage.

The last km of that stage was flat. Froome burnt himself pulling the chase group to put time into Kwaitkowski and Nibali who were dropped in that final climb, and left nothing for the sprint.

LaFlorecita said:
BS. Contador is a horrible sprinter so it is not impressive at all that Froome beat him.

I thought it was quite impressive, considering Froome spent the entire final km with his nose in the wind whereas Contador spent most of the final km in Purito's slipstream.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
is it actual chest infection, or was he just abandoning the race for the sake of abandoning?

he would have already got the appearance money by now?

spalco said:
I don't think the fact that it's "harder" is the issue here for Froome, but maybe his relative inexperience in which breaks to follow and things like that.

It's a totally different style of racing. You only have to look at Sky's failure in the classics this year compared to their dominant displays in some of the stage races. It's much harder to control things in a classic or one day race and it's a lot more tactical. Also I don't really see the GB team being that strong compared to Spain, Belgium, Italy and a few others.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:

It's not as much that it's just harder but the style of racing that hardness will come in. It will be much more un-predictable, Froome works well when things are controlled. It's going to be a difficult race to control as movingtarget pointed out.

airstream said:
You don't understand anything about cycling.

Lol base on what do you offer to rate their sprinter qualities if they almost never practise them because of their specialization? Base on your expert 'BS. Contador is a...'?!

I offer to rate sprinter qualities on their performances in flat sprints, not on their explosiveness uphill as you try to do with Contador. Froome is obviously a better sprinter than Contador, see Oman, but that doesn't make him a good sprinter.

wwabbit said:
I thought it was quite impressive, considering Froome spent the entire final km with his nose in the wind whereas Contador spent most of the final km in Purito's slipstream.

I thought it was quite impressive that Contador came so close, I thought he would come 3rd miles back. Say whatever you want beating Contador in a sprint is not impressive, Purito, yes that is impressive, but it was clear he didn't have it.

TRENDING THREADS